PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Couch Chewing

Topics include: Tricks, litter, toys, aggression, personality, walks, etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Microwizard

Couch Chewing

Postby Microwizard » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:54 pm

Hey, raising a red fox of about 6months as a companion, been having issues with her chewing corners of my couches, any sort of scolding only stops the action for a minute or so. She is provided many many toys of different sorts for chewing but seems to keeping wanting to chew couches and starting to want to chew artwork now as well.
Was wondering if there are any recommended chew repellant or anything else to try to stop this behavior?

Thanks,
-Damian
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Couch Chewing

Postby pat » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:51 pm

at six months you will see a difference. the sweet little fox we get at about 4 weeks don't last icon-sad

she could be bored. some or most foxes get bored with the same toys. toys don't generally solve the problem of chewing in most cases.
are you planning a outdoor enclosure? if you have one, alternate her with it if need be. Have you tried the raw hide bones?
It really is a must for an outdoor enclosure for a fox.

I assume she understands what "no" means? when you first catch her chewing what she is not suppose to, loudly tell her "NO"
mine use to steal my shoes :roll:

The only thing I can think of is bitter apple. for now, keep lots of heavy blankets on your furniture. but, will could chew that too.

does she do this when you are home or in front of you?

the other fox owners will give you some ideas also.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:10 pm

Chewing is a very natural behavior for a fox. I think it would be very hard to discourage. Since it's a normal thing for them to do, there isn't too much you can do to stop it other than what Pat suggested. Most people with indoor foxes just deal with the furniture destruction which is why I personally think outdoor enclosures are for the best. They can chew whatever they want in their own space.

More enrichment could help. Maybe provide empty cereal boxes stuffed with some treats or food that she can tear up instead.

Welcome to the fox forum, by the way. :) We'd love for you to stick around.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:22 pm

Indoor fox owners I’ve talked to take their foxes on walks every morning and evening to help get rid of some of their energy. It seems to help a little bit with their destructiveness. I don’t know if your kit is harness trained though.
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).

Return to “Training, Behavior & Enrichment”