PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

October Crazies

Topics include: Tricks, litter, toys, aggression, personality, walks, etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Aluna

October Crazies

Postby Aluna » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:07 pm

This is our first red fox. I’ve read several discussions on the “October Crazies” for first year foxes. I thought we dodge it with our fox since it was about two weeks into October until she started acting different. It wasn’t until when my boyfriend put on a pair of carhardt overalls then she became afraid of him. She has been acting more timid and more aggressive, which I figured is normal since it was October. I knew it would last a couple months but I’m just seeing if it lasts this long. Sometimes she doesn’t want to come out of her room whenever we get home from work. She isn’t to aggressive towards me but she is aggressive towards my boyfriend. But she is nicer and plays with him whenever I’m not home. She’s typically still happy to see me and happy pees but won’t come all the way up to me. Could her aggressive behavior still be from the October Crazies? We miss being able to pet her without being cautious. :cry:
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: October Crazies

Postby pat » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:44 am

I will be honest, I have raised 4 foxes for 14 years. I honestly never experienced any october crazys with mine.
also from my experience, fox don't have the same disposition everyday. at least mine don't.
I never got bit or seen aggression in mine.

the only thing I know is a fox kit is friendly. but, once they reach to 6 months (guess age could vary) their behavior changes.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Aluna

Postby Aluna » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:08 pm

I’m just not sure what to do. She used to be extremely happy when we got home and would want us to pet her and make her happy noises. But since that one day I guess he scared her it hasn’t been the same since then. She’s more lovable towards me since she bonded with me but I know he misses being able to pet her more. He still can pet her but it’s no where near as much as he used to be able to. He gives her treats to warm up to her but she just takes them and leaves.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:27 pm

foxes can have different personalities, just like people.

for you boyfriend, he could try sitting or laying on the floor and handing her a treat with his arm extended out. it helps when a human is more at their level to start out with.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:24 pm

Sorry your fox is acting that way. It can be very frustrating and disheartening to see. I wrote an article on the October Crazies that I think goes more in depth. https://www.wildhearts-exoticanimals.com/caresheets.

My fox Ifrit gets really skittish during the wintertime, and it's sometimes impossible to pet her. But for her it's just a winter thing. She seems to be more moody. So I wouldn't give up hope. Waiting it out may be the best thing.

Also, double-check that your fox is receiving a proper diet. If the diet is off, it can imbalance the fox and destabilize its mood.

Good luck. I hope my article answers some questions for you.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Aluna

Postby Aluna » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:37 pm

Thank you to you both!! I’ve been looking into getting her on a proper diet. She mainly eats the blue wilderness chicken dog food and we give her chicken gizzards and hearts when we can get them. She does like dried pineapple those are her treats so didn’t know if it was the sugar in them that might be off or not. I don’t normally share my food with her but my boyfriend gives her some of his from time to time. I think that might have something to do with it also.

Return to “Training, Behavior & Enrichment”