PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Tick paralysis - anyone have experience with rehab?

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Trefoil

Re: Tick paralysis - anyone have experience with rehab?

Postby Trefoil » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:59 pm

That's good to know. With all that hair I'm not sure I would know if my coons did have a tick so its probably a good thing they don't care for the great outdoors. Did I misunderstand,thinking that his problems with walking are because of his deformities that weren't necessarily caused by the ticks?
I have had guineas,ducks,peas and chickens so am not really sure who is eating what but even living on the edge of woods they keep the biting population down - and feed the wild coons.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:38 pm

RaccoonRebel wrote:I put some cooking oil on the ticks and they let go. He didn’t have a lot of ticks but he was very small. The ticks were very small too.

thats good to know. the coconut oil, also assume the cooking oil rubbed on the fur often will deter the ticks?

what did you do with the ticks that fell off? I hope you killed or flushed them?

those darn ticks are scary and dangerous. the guineas sure do their job. I am only down to 4. not sure what happened to them. sometimes they will just fly away. I get them at an auction. gonna get more, maybe tomorrow. the auction is every friday. I might go tomorrow if I feel OK.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
catlover1019

Postby catlover1019 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:31 pm

How's he doing now?
RaccoonRebel

Postby RaccoonRebel » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:02 am

The vet said his deformities are probably why his mom left him and the ticks added to the problems.

I actually put all the ticks into a pill bottle of alcohol and took them when we went to the vet so he could see them. They were little ticks, babies. I wouldn’t recommend coating raccoons in oil to keep ticks off, but a little drop will get them to let go is they don’t want to suffocate. I used to put garlic powder on my dogs’ food and that seemed to keep biting buggies off them.

He loves to run around in his walker and he tries to get into things. He does tire easily though. He still does not have his “voice” back. He can make some little grunty sounds and make a bark like sound when he’s stressed by visitors. I keep working with his legs, some physical therapy sort of.
catlover1019

Postby catlover1019 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:03 am

I'm glad to know he's doing alright. I admit I've never personally been around a raccoon, but from the videos I've watched, adult coons don't seem to be very vocal. I've only ever heard cubs vocalize, really. Adults just seem to grunt and growl. Even if the condition wih his legs never improves, he seems pretty healthy and happy despite his disabilities. It's really the only life he's ever know. A lot of others would have given up on him as a cub, and I'm glad you didn't. There's a mindset, even among domestic animals, that disabled animals should be euthanized. There have been many cases to show that disabled animals can lead happy lives and your boy, Rhett is just another one of it. Euthanasia should always be the last resort when it is shown that the animal is suffering. Rhett is definitely not suffering. I wish him a long, healthy life, and you seem to be a great caretaker to him.
RaccoonRebel

Postby RaccoonRebel » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:33 am

Thank you catlover1019.

I believe animals should have a chance to live too. Since he never learned to walk at all, maybe he doesn’t realize he’s missing out. When he uses his walker he does try to prowl into things. Once he spent about 10 minutes snacking from the dog’s bowl. He’s pretty spoiled. He gets fresh fruit every day, quality cat kibble, and lots of cuddle time.
catlover1019

Postby catlover1019 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:53 am

He seems very happy and spoiled under your care. I think it's definitely true that he doesn't know he's missing out, because he could never walk. In fact, he probably thinks he's living the life because he can walk with help now. That being said, even animals that develop disabilities later in life often learn to cope with them and live happy lives.

One thing I would like to mention though is that you say you feed cat kibble. Most people I've heard reccomend dog kibble for raccoons. I don't know the reasons why, but you might want to look into it if you haven't already. Saying that you've had him for over 2 years, and he seems to be doing great, I doubt it's a problem. I can't imagine it being a problem at all if it's high-quality meat-based food. Anyway, I hopw you two have many more happy years together, and keep us all posted on how he's doing.
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:58 am

Most people I've heard reccomend dog kibble for raccoons. I don't know the reasons why, but you might want to look into it if you haven't already.

It's said that cat kibble is too high in protein and can cause kidney damage (I think??) in raccoons, over time. Dog kibble is lower in protein, so that's why it's recommended for raccoons.
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”