PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Biting

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Yatzee

Biting

Postby Yatzee » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:03 pm

When does the biting stop. We tell Yatzee no all the time when he does. It doesn't seem to work tho. Seconds later he's back to biting. I stuff a toy in his mouth to get him to bite that in stead. I used to do that with my puppies.
Sometimes he comes from out of no where and bites for our faces. I keep telling my husband that he's just a baby, like a puppy but, he's getting tired of it.
Any recommendations or tips?
Trefoil

Re: Biting

Postby Trefoil » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:30 am

Is he fixed?+ The biting isn't usually a problem, they grow out of it, but the out of nowhere biting at your face is a problem. If he isn't fixed, I would try that. "Normal" baby biting is usually as a play to rough deal, solved by correcting repeatedly and never playing rough, but the out of nowhere at face is dangerous and unless he grows out of it you won't be able to trust him. Is he still on the bottle? if so and you can get ahold of him immediately after he bites, maybe try scruffing ( grabbing him by the back of neck like a mother would, shake gently and yell loudly NO). If he's not on the bottle I wouldn't try this because it could make him afraid of you and perhaps worse.
Yatzee

Postby Yatzee » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:44 am

He isnt neutered yet. June 9th is when he'll be getting neutered.
Well, that explains it, my husband does play rough with him. Like he would with a puppy. I'll have to talk to him about that. He just weaned of the bottle a couple days ago.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:07 pm

I agree with trefoil. never play rough with a raccoon or any exotic animal. especially when they are young.
who know, maybe your raccoon will look at you and your husband as a big "chew toy" :lol:

raccoons can and will learn words. it just takes a little longer than a dog sometimes.
when he bites, tell him "no bite" if he don't respond, (which he might not at first) raise your voice.

keep us updated on your progress.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Yatzee

Postby Yatzee » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:15 pm

Talked to hubby. Showed him the reply. In just one day, a huge difference. Sometimes it's hard raising animals with another person. I told hubby not to be aggressive or let him attack hands...didnt mean a thing. As soon as I screen shot him everything I've been saying, now he wants to do better.
Better late than never??
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:22 am

I'm glad to be of some help. The no rough playing is something that is so obvious to an experienced pet owner that it often isn't even considered.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:16 pm

so glad you husband now realizes about the play biting.

sadly, some people will treat a raccoon or other exotics like they were a dog. we know there is a difference and need to handle them differently.

thank you for letting us know how the outcome.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
JNR51493

Postby JNR51493 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:06 pm

Thanks for the info! I have a 5-month-old coonie, her name is Toody and she is biting us when she wants to play. She's never broke the skin but she leaves indentions. Her favorite is to play on her back, she will grab my hand and want me to scratch her belly but then bite at me when I do so! I love that little girl but man she tests my patience sometimes. I always tell her "if you weren't such a pretty girl, i'd whip you" lol!! (even though I don't) my husband has a really hard time not roughhousing with her because she loves it when he does. but then is so rowdy afterward we give her a time out. I am also getting her fixed within the next month so hopefully, that will help with her attitude!!

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”