PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Food

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Yatzee

Food

Postby Yatzee » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:04 am

I have offered Yatzee a huge menu of food. From roaches, small rats, fish, chicken, shrimp, fruits and vegetables. He likes his grain free dog food and a select few of fruit.
Is it bad to keep him on an all grain free dog food diet?
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Food

Postby pat » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:18 am

Yatzee wrote:I have offered Yatzee a huge menu of food. From roaches, small rats, fish, chicken, shrimp, fruits and vegetables. He likes his grain free dog food and a select few of fruit.
Is it bad to keep him on an all grain free dog food diet?

thats odd, usually raccoons are scavengers. (will eat a variety of food)
to be honest, I am not sure all dog food is OK I would think it is though.

did you cut their chicken in small sizes that fit in his hand?

how about cereal? did you try that? grapes? eggs,apples? a few marrow bones as a treat?
you can also try putting a little syrup or honey over different foods.
I cook chicken for mine, and add come cooked sweet potatoes to it

you can try putting something different in a paper towel or toilet papers cardboard. close the ends. some raccoons like to hunt for their food.
mine will eat almost anything . my oldest one loves prunes :roll: they also like grapes.

honestly, I am not sure if plain dog food will be fine. I would think it would be OK.

keep us updated please.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Yatzee

Postby Yatzee » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:54 am

My last post was rushed so I had to type fast..
I do cook him an egg in the mornings. He just recently started eating them, probably a month ago. He likes grapes. Some blueberries and some strawberries. By some I mean, he'll eat one strawberry or 2 blueberries. Of coarse, he liked cookies and fig bars, stuff like that but, he doesn't get any of that kind of stuff. If he does, it's because it fell on the floor.
I've cut raw and cooked chicken into small handleable pieces. He shakes his head and drops it. I've tried cooked rib meat. Same thing. Hamburger, no go.
So far, he eats, his dog food. An egg in the morning. About 5 almonds throughout the day. About 6 grapes, when I buy them, in the morning and maybe 3 or 4 at night. That's about it.
He doesnt get any junk food like marshmallows or chips. Well, he gets popcorn BUT, only when he gets his nails trimmed. I use it as a reward, even then it's only 2 or 3 pieces per foot. I trim his nails about once a month.
Should I give him any supplements? I just don't feel like he gets a big variety of food, not because I don't offer, just because he seems picky. Surprising for a raccoon.
He had his shots last week, his vet said a dog food diet is good for him but, he didn't really delve into his diet too much. He was more concerned about neutering him. He's 6 months old and his testicles haven't dropped yet.
Yatzee is an indoor raccoon, we treat him like a dog. With some exceptions, child proofing and watching him when he leaves the bedroom. He plays with the cats and the prairie dog. Again, I watch him like a hawk whenever he's roaming the house or playing with the other animals
I'm going to keep offering him different foods periodically, maybe he just hasn't matured into wanting food. He is no glutton, that's for sure. Matter of fact, I don't think he eats enough.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:02 pm

his diet sounds good.
I have heard of a raccoons testicle not dropping before. with hope, maybe your raccoon's other one will drop :shrug:
otherwise like you said the vet will have to do more in depth surgery icon-sad

please keep us updated.

DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:23 pm

If you're feeding a good grain free food, it should have everything that he needs. However, it never hurts to try additional foods. What he rejects now, he may - in the future - decide he likes. I wouldn't badger him too often to try new foods that he's previously rejected. Offer a food that he's rejected about every 6 months. He may accept it then.

While Bobby will eat boiled or crock-pot chicken, Dewey won't touch it. However, let Daddy bring home broasted chicken from the local quick market, and Dewey will just about take your hand off to get it. Dewey likes nectarines, Bobby won't touch 'em. Bobby likes cantaloupe, Dewey sez 'nope!' Bobby likes bananas, Dewey will only eat the dried banana chips. Neither like any kind of vegetables. Bottom line - they're just like humans. We all have different tastes. And like humans, our tastes sometimes change as we get older.

Be glad your guy isn't a glutton. It may help keep him from obesity as he gets older and less active.

As far as the testicles not dropping yet: They really should be visible by now. If not dropped by early next year (January), your vet may have to go in search of them. Also, if you got Yatzee from a breeder, I would notify them, as inability of testicles dropping can be a genetic trait, and the breeder may not wish to breeder his parents again. (That is, IF the breeder is an ethical breeder.)
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
Yatzee

Postby Yatzee » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:19 am

Thanks you guys. I will keep you updated. :)
Yatzee

Postby Yatzee » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:15 am

Well, Yatzee was neutered and the vet said he was obese.
He weight 16lbs. He gained 3lbs since last month. I don't get it. He doesn't get any junk food. The only option is to cut back his portions which is worrisome because he barely eats anything now. I even more worried with him being neutered now. He's too much of a baby to be walked outside. Everything outside makes him nervous. Even though he went everywhere with me when he was growing up. I play with him with his toys. Cat toy things he can chase or jump for. I'm not sure what else to do to encourage exercise. He's lazy. Lol. He sleeps for 8 hrs, wakes up for 2 maybe 3 hrs and then goes back to bed for another 8 or so. I for sure do not want a diabetic coonie. Maybe the grain free dog food has too much protein? While I was waiting for the neuter to be done I was looking at the bags of dog food. Most grain free dry food has over 3,000 kg/cal I assume that's calories?? If so, that's more than a human! He gets 1/2 of a cup of dog food. Any less and he won't be eating much at all. A hungry raccoon is not a nice raccoon.
This is something I'm going to have to experiment with.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:08 am

Yatzee wrote:Well, Yatzee was neutered and the vet said he was obese.
He weight 16lbs. He gained 3lbs since last month. I don't get it. He doesn't get any junk food. The only option is to cut back his portions which is worrisome because he barely eats anything now. I even more worried with him being neutered now. He's too much of a baby to be walked outside. Everything outside makes him nervous. Even though he went everywhere with me when he was growing up. I play with him with his toys. Cat toy things he can chase or jump for. I'm not sure what else to do to encourage exercise. He's lazy. Lol. He sleeps for 8 hrs, wakes up for 2 maybe 3 hrs and then goes back to bed for another 8 or so. I for sure do not want a diabetic coonie. Maybe the grain free dog food has too much protein? While I was waiting for the neuter to be done I was looking at the bags of dog food. Most grain free dry food has over 3,000 kg/cal I assume that's calories?? If so, that's more than a human! He gets 1/2 of a cup of dog food. Any less and he won't be eating much at all. A hungry raccoon is not a nice raccoon.
This is something I'm going to have to experiment with.

I know how hard it is to keep weight off raccoons. my oldest one is overweight. he is a bit lazy too. maybe try cutting his food intake a little.(mostly the dog food) feed him a little bit through out the day. sometimes I put a few snacks in a paper towel roll. (marrow bones) if you can, scatter his food. I don't give a lot of dog food to my raccoons. only a little. my youngest male is getting porky. not as as bad as my oldest.
my albino female is the only one that is not "fat" chicken and eggs are a good source, (not many carbs)

let me know if you find more ideas.

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”