PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

My 7mth old Coon is coughing/gagging occasionally but getting more frequent, help?

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Asilbobh

My 7mth old Coon is coughing/gagging occasionally but getting more frequent, help?

Postby Asilbobh » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:45 am

Hi please send me any kind of advice? My little girl, Rumi, is experiencing some kind of asthma or allergies. That’s the best way I can explain it. She has these “attacks” when she has some kind of excitement involving food or a scare like she’s been caught doing something “bad”? She eats and often gets the hiccups right after too! She can stop after a series of 6-10 coughs but I’m getting concerned? I guess I’m curious if any of you have experienced this and if so what course of action have you taken? Rumi is a domestic bred raccoon from a very well renowned breeder. She’s never had any issues other than eating something that’s made her sick a few times. She does shake her head a lot like she has something in her ears but she’s clean. No ear mites or any debris. Not sure if it has any bearing? Thank you for all your help!

from Lisa the human, Cali the cat, Bodhi the dog, & Rumi the raccoon icon-smile
DeweysMom

Re: My 7mth old Coon is coughing/gagging occasionally but getting more frequent, help?

Postby DeweysMom » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:54 pm

Does she have all of her vaccinations? Is she indoor-only, or does she spend time outdoors? Have you checked her mouth/throat for any obstructions? Is she eating/drinking/pottying normal? Please explain what she has eaten in the past that made her sick. (ie food, or did she get into something like cleaning products/ chemicals, etc??)

"Attacks" - you have to offer a bit more information, such as is it a breathing problem (such as an asthmatic attack), or could it possibly be seizure activity?? How long do the 'attacks' last? How long has this been going on? More info may be helpful.

IMO, the head shaking and hiccups and 'attacks' don't seem to have any relationship to each other. Sometimes, if raccoons eat too fast - or too much - hiccups will occur.

My advice would be to bring her to your vet for a thorough exam. They will be the best option for figuring out what's wrong with Rumi. Additionally, you could contact the breeder you got her from and run it past them, too. But it truly would be best to have her examined by your vet.

Others here with more extensive veterinary backgrounds may be able to offer more information. Hoping they chime in...
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
Ana

Re: My 7mth old Coon is coughing/gagging occasionally but getting more frequent, help?

Postby Ana » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:36 pm

The head shaking thing - I've got six raccoons here, and they ALL do it. This has been investigated thoroughly by my vet on several occasions - the doctor believes it to be a raccoon behavioral trait. It has unsettled me no end, the head shake, but no ear swab has ever divulged any cause. Unless Rumi starts digging at her ears, wincing, bending her ear, or you're seeing discharge, smelling something odious, it's probably what my vet calls "the head shaking thing" :lol:

The coughing. It happens here too. Coons do a lot of snuffling around - they will investigate corners and dusty areas nose first. I think particles get up in their nasal passages, get trapped in the nares, or get through the nares and into the esophageal tube, creating that coughing that gets us all anxious. A crumb, a dust mote, a particle of saw dust, any little thing can trigger it.

The hiccups after eating are due to eating too fast. My Jude eats like a wolf, then hiccups for ten minutes after his meal. ♡
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:52 pm

Deweys mom and ana posted good info.
however, I would like to know what you feed her?
not saying that is the reason, but, only trying to rule that out.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Yatzee

Postby Yatzee » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:33 pm

Yatzee does those things too and is about 7 months and from a breeder as well. He doesn't do the hiccups though.
I'm glad to hear the head shake thing is a coonie thing. Like stated above, he too has no discharge redness or stinky ears. He's an indoor puppybearcoon(it's what my hubby and I call him,lol)
He does cough though but, it's mostly when he's been running around. I chalk it up to his roly polyness. It is so difficult to get a raccoon to lose weight!
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:44 pm

Yatzee wrote:Yatzee does those things too and is about 7 months and from a breeder as well. He doesn't do the hiccups though.
I'm glad to hear the head shake thing is a coonie thing. Like stated above, he too has no discharge redness or stinky ears. He's an indoor puppybearcoon(it's what my hubby and I call him,lol)
He does cough though but, it's mostly when he's been running around. I chalk it up to his roly polyness. It is so difficult to get a raccoon to lose weight!

my oldest raccoon does cough once in awhile, not often. he is overweight. not sure if that has anything to do with it or not. my other two are younger and seem to be OK.
I have been trying to cut back on the food intake. it is hard to keep a raccoon at a normal weight. in the cold months, raccoon will semi-hibernate. at least mine do.
since they are less active, I cut their food back more.

since raccoons are scavengers, sometimes I will put small amount of food and scatter some dishes so they have to move around to eat,
I also will put a little food in small paper lunch bags and scatter them. this way, they have to walk to get to it.

however, mine have their own room and a doggie door to go out in their enclosure. their enclosure has a 3 story tower, where they have to climb to get to the top.
there is also a big shelf in their outside enclosure, where they have to climb to get to it.
they also have bunk beds in their room. a ladder to get to the top bunk. they also have a large carrier on the other side of the room, where they have to climb up to get there.

not sure about the stinky ears.that is sometimes due to an infection or ear mites. there is ear meds to help that. can't remember what it is called, but, I got it from the vet.

I will try and find the pictures and post them. (sorry, I keep forgetting to do that)
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Yatzee

Postby Yatzee » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:56 pm

Yatzee isn't that lucky to have all that. He gets the roam of the house though. I have a big panda stuffed animal I play with him with. He likes to hang off it when I lift it up. I have cat toys on a stick he chases and I make him run around the house chasing it.
I did cut back on his dog food and have been getting him to eat more fruits and veggies.
It's amazing how quick raccoons gain weight.

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”