ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Coooing in the mornings

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Yatzee

Coooing in the mornings

Postby Yatzee » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:03 am

Does any one have a coonie that walks around the house cooing as if they've lost something and can't find it?
I offer food, play time and cuddles. He's not interested. Just keeps cooing.
Yatzee

Re: Coooing in the mornings

Postby Yatzee » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:26 am

He wakes up at about 7am and then goes to his hammock for quiet time at 10am, he's asleep by 11am.
This morning he got up at 7, cooed all over the place and was back in his hammock by 9am. I fed him an egg, brought his water dish to him so he could take a drink and, it's 11:15am and he's still in his hammock.
I noticed yesterday that he didn't eat much of his dog food and only ate a few grapes. Today, no dog food except the 5 pieces I gave him and an egg. No grapes. I know he isn't big on food but, this seems kinda weird. He's a big fluffy 15 lbs so, I'm not worried he's going to get too thin...lol. Today just seems out of the norm.
Maybe being 6 months some hormones are coming in? Maybe he's just having a lazy day? I dunno.
I'm tempted to write a book about pet raccoons. There's nothing out there on issues or even issues with wild raccoons.
People want to write books on big cats, elephants, gerbils, rats....not on raccoons tho.
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:42 pm

Like people, raccoons can be very quiet, or they can always be running at the mouth. LOL I currently have 2 males, and one rarely talks or chatters, the other constantly does.

Mine will go though periods where their appetite is a bit off, and they seem a bit more laid back than usual. Then a few days later, they are ravenous and have the zoomies. Who knows why?

If you think your boy is 'off', quietly observed him for 12-24 hours, and if he continues to act abnormal - or doesn't potty (both pee & pooh), he should probably be seen.
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
Yatzee

Postby Yatzee » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:18 pm

That makes sense. Animals have off days too.
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:17 pm

I have an intact male and a neutered female, both adults. Nearly every night if one gets up before the other, the one that's up goes around the house crying, I'm not sure if they are calling for the other or what but they don't seem to do it when they are together.
Cooing is usually a young coon thing and usually means they are content, like a cat purring.
Vmoore0485

Postby Vmoore0485 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:51 pm

Trefoil wrote:Cooing is usually a young coon thing and usually means they are content, like a cat purring.

I’m a new coon owner, mine is 6 months and what I’ve been taking as his cooing/purring is only done when he is upset. Like when I shut a door to a room and he wants it open it will make this noise like he is stressed and pace a little. He also does it if he looses sight of me and gets worried. And when he was very young and first learning to climb trees he would do it as I had to coach him down from high up.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:56 am

Vmoore0485 wrote:
Trefoil wrote:Cooing is usually a young coon thing and usually means they are content, like a cat purring.

I’m a new coon owner, mine is 6 months and what I’ve been taking as his cooing/purring is only done when he is upset. Like when I shut a door to a room and he wants it open it will make this noise like he is stressed and pace a little. He also does it if he looses sight of me and gets worried. And when he was very young and first learning to climb trees he would do it as I had to coach him down from high up.

mine does that sometimes too. I think it is to get my attention or wants to eat.
oh, if we could only get in the mind of a raccoon for 1 minute. LOL
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Ana

Postby Ana » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:54 pm

Corso has done this during the wee hours, I might have posted about it years back. That standing around like he's lost something is a
perfect description of it. And nothing helps. I think it might be related to changing weather, it still happens on occasion, he's six now.
I've tried singing him a song, offering him food items, offering him toys, offering him packaging, offering him grooming, a massage.
It's only in the wee hours, it doesn't go on for long, but it's always disconcerting. :/
Yatzee

Postby Yatzee » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:10 pm

Very disconcerting. Being a mom it makes my, 'what can I do to help' kick in. Lol

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”