HAPPY AND SAFE HOLIDAYS TO ALL

please read this regarding toxic dog foods: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14637[/b]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Missing Coon advise plz

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

Vmoore0485

Missing Coon advise plz

Postby Vmoore0485 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:58 pm

Hi everyone, I have a horrible situation that I need your advice on. I will give you a little backstory to help this make better sense.

I took in three orphaned wild raccoons when they were 3 weeks old back in the spring and raised them by hand. At 12 weeks old I built them an outdoors enclosure and we started going on small walks around the yard and the edge of the woods. At 15 weeks old two of the brothers had become extremely hard to get back into their enclosure and finally they took off and would not return to my calls. The third brother continued to return to me as he was very shy and didn’t have the enthusiasm to explore as the other 2 did.

I installed a game camera and continued to leave food for the two that decided they were ready to go into the world. I watch them on the camera for about six weeks and at least every other night they would come and eat the food that I had left for them.

As for the third one, Ringo, he became mamas spoiled baby. He sleeps in my bed at night and stays attached at the hip when ever I am there. The last three weeks he has been spending more time exploring the woods because I gave him free range during the day while I am at work. He would never go more than about 50 yards into the woods so that he could keep the house in his sight at all times.

He knows the sound of my car and that I get home at 7 PM and when I call him he he comes running for dinnertime and bedtime.

This past week he has been exploring further into the woods and it has been taking him about 10 to 15 minutes to make it to the porch after I’ve called him to come in for the night.

Sunday he went out to play at 8 AM and now 4 days later he still has not returned. He has not come to eat from the kennel pans or from on the porch. Which I do not understand because he has always refused to eat wild foods such as acorns worms etc. he prefers his chicken, nuts and snacks from inside the house.

He started getting his testicles a couple of weeks ago and they are now clearly visible and he had been marking by rubbing his butt on everything since they started growing in. I know males don’t breed until two years of age though so I can’t imagine this puberty change is what’s causing him to runaway.

This is a raccoon that does not like to get wet or get his feet dirty and he is beyond spoiled to the pet life. We have about 40 acres of wooded land that includes a large swamp and 2 creeks. we have walked all over the property in every direction that he has ever played in, calling his name night and day, and looking with spot lights at night. We cannot find any signs of a struggle. no signs of Dens or nesting area for him or his two brothers or the other two raccoon families that live here.

I am just heartbroken and at a loss as to what could have gotten him or made him a runaway out of the blue. Has anyone experienced their pet disappearing like this? I wondered if his staying out a bit further was signs that he was building a nest for winter, but it’s way too early to hibernate right now so he should have came back for food. My mind is just blown. Any help would be greatly appreciated. As for now, I will continue leaving food, keeping game cams turned on, and searching for him in hopes that he hears me calling his name. I miss my baby so much :( he was due to go to the vet for his shots and neuter next week for his 6 month birthday.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Missing Coon advise plz

Postby pat » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:25 am

I am so very sorry to hear your raccoon is missing. that is hard to say where he could be.
all I can tell you, is (in my state anyway) is in the colder months, some or most raccoons will semi-hibernate.
however, I would think he would have done that at home.

have you tried a have-a-heart trap? raccoons are a little easier to trap that way compared to a fox.
however, the problem is if you used a this trap, who knows what would go in it.

breeding season can start in December, possibly in November.

yes, I did have a problem with missing raccoons. as did a few people I know.
usually, they don't stray off far.

1st one was my oldest that (passed away a while ago) when he went missing, I was outside calling him all day, looked everywhere.
no one seen him. I found him later that day in basement napping on a shelf in the basement with a bunch of motorcycle parts :roll:

I had two other ones that got out, both were young, the one I started calling, and minutes later I looked down at my feed, and there he was.
have no idea where he was. then a blonde raccoon I had someone slipped out the door. I found him waiting to get back into his enclosure.

a third one also broke out of a window, the little bugger was able to open the window :roll: I called my neighbor and asked if they seen him.
yep, he was under their porch. he was a rescue raccoon, but, later found him an excellent home.

guess, what I am saying, he might not be as far as you think, at least I hope not.

otherwise, all we can hope for is nothing killed him. coyotes, foxes etc, will kill and eat a raccoon. icon-sad

if I can think of any other ideas, I will let you know. the other members might chime in and give you more ideas.

I am praying you find him. please keep me updated.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Vmoore0485

Postby Vmoore0485 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:53 am

Tonight made 7 full days that he’s been gone. It rained hard here yesterday so I’m planning to go look for fresh tracks as soon as the creek lowers in a day or two. I found tracks back there on Friday in a section that I believe he was exploring before he disappeared.

Our weather has been nuts here in Virginia so the poor thing probably doesn’t know what to do with himself. I am still beyond confused as to how he has willingly left a perfect food source to go face the wild all alone out of the blue.

I found several large squirrel nests on my rounds but saw no activity otherwise. I have more game cams on order to set up and bait with his favorite foods. Hopefully one will turn up evidence that he is alive and well. If I see him and he looks rough I may put out a live trap, but if the wild is what he wants, then as long as he is happy and healthy I’ll let him do as he pleases. It hurts telling him goodbye but just knowing he is ok will ease my mind and heart.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:59 am

I am so sorry to hear you have not seen your raccoon yet icon-sad
I would almost think he might of been too young to introduce him to the wild. but, usually, at that age,
they will stick around. well, even older ones..

My concern is his age. I hope he is OK. I really hope you find him.
you said you seen tracks, were they coon tracks? if so, try the hav-a-hart trap. however, who knows what you might get.
it is worth a try.

I wish I had encouraging words, the only thing I can think is to try and think positive.

please keep us updated.

Vmoore0485

Postby Vmoore0485 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:32 pm

I went spotlighting again tonight. The water from the heavy rain Saturday has went down in the creeks. There are no new paw tracks at all. Those that were there have been washed away.

He was trained so well to come back when I called. I’ve racked my brain trying to think of any animal here that would hurt him and the only possible animal option is a hunting dog... but I’m certain he would run up a tree from smelling them before they even saw him.

Sadly, my mind is wandering to the evil that lurks while we aren’t looking... Hunters. Our property is posted but as much land as we have it’s hard to keep them from crossing lines. We didn’t hear any shooting the day he disappeared, but that’s not to say it didn’t happen. If they’re down in the bottom the only way we can hear a gun is if we are in the yard. And crossbows are silent and very popular here.

It’s been a fear since the day I took the coons in. I know we have coon hunters on the creek at night sometimes plus the trigger happy illegal hunters that sneak around. I swore I wouldn’t let him explore but it made him so happy. Being in his enclosure pen depressed him so bad. So I put faith in the fact that he would spend most of the day napping high in a tree or in a cozy overgrowth.

Store was sold out of game cams so I have some on order. I’m still not going to give up on him. I’ve got a few more weeks before hibernation would start so I’ll keep Trying
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:10 am

actually, I was going to mention looking up in all the tress you can find.
I use to raise coonhounds (not for hunting) however , they knew the difference from wild or born here.

when I had the coonhounds, they would tree raccoons. (this is before I even raised raccoons) the raccooons were high up in the tree,
really hard to spot. sometimes at night, I would see the eyes when I shined a flashlight. sadly, hubby did shoot one icon-sad

my hunting dogs would kill a wild raccoon. they did one time. it was a horrible site to see.
many people that kill raccoons look at them as a nuisance and/or for the fur icon-sad

I have heard of some wild animals that get scared and stay in a tree, and actually die up there due to hunger and thirst icon-sad

have you tried looking at night in the trees with a flashlight? they can be hard to spot. but, maybe if your raccoon trusts you,
he will come to you.

I really hope you can find him. I know how heartbreaking that can be. please keep me updated.

DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:36 pm

If you think he's still in the area (which no doubt he is - they don't travel very far), you can support him with food. Daily. Which it sounds like you're already doing. This is a "soft release". You can put your trail cams up wherever you set food out. Chances are pretty great that you'll have tons of other critters show up to take advantage of the free and easy food. But if you're familiar with him, you'll be able to identify him, specifically.

If you have the option on your trail cams for video, I personally find that much easier in identifying individuals than photos. It's not so much their appearance, but rather their mannerisms that I find more helpful in identifying each one.

He most likely voluntarily left because it's the beginning of breeding season, even though this year's babies probably won't procreate - especially if there are older, more mature adults in your area. Regardless, he still 'feels' the urge. Torpor has begun here in PA; I would imagine it would be likewise in VA as well. He's probably found an appropriate den site and is doing what nature is telling him to do - hunker down for the next month or two.

As far as not finding den sites: They are there. You just can't find them. They're hard to find on purpose. Nature designed them that way.

He very well may return to you. Don't give up hope. If he does, be extremely cautious with him. Time spent out in the real world can cause them to be ... very 'touchy' and quick to bite.

Realize that he really never was 'yours' anyhow. You rescued him, you basically gave him back his life, you took him on woods' walkies, he's learned what he needs to survive. He'll be OK. Really, he will. Instincts will take care of him. It's heartbreaking - believe me - been there, done that - but if he came from the wild, to the wild he really should return.

Good luck!
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:33 pm

Vmoore0485

any signs of your raccoon? I hope so. please let us know updates.

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”