PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET.. https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041 FREE TO USE .. YOU WILL GET $25.00 TO START)

I think I cured the peeing everywhere problem

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

Yatzee

I think I cured the peeing everywhere problem

Postby Yatzee » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:19 pm

We have been battling with this peeing situation for a couple of months now. On the bed, floor, dresser tops, key boards, percussion massager(it started smoking!). You name it, he peed on it.
Well, I kicked all the cats out of his living area(our bedroom area is set apart from the rest of the house, kinda like a suite). I have a blind cat that pees on things to find his way around and that triggers the other male cats to do the same. I also have a prairie dog that climbs up on the bed. He poops and pees anywhere (I can't litter box train him) and he isn't neutered so he is always musky.
I cleaned EVERYTHING in our living area. Washed walls, bedding, washed all Yatzee's stuffed animals, moved all my oversized stuffed animals to a closet. Sprayed fabreez allergen reducer on EVERYTHING, walls rug bed, everything. Then after an hour I sprayed everything with Lysol.
Yatzee hasn't peed on anything in a few days. Every other day I wipe down and spray. NO PEE!!!!
I got to thinking, I see a lot of posts saying they were experiencing the peeing thing too. It can't be possible that all these male raccoons have bladder infections. To me, it makes sense that it could be a marking thing. I also noticed that Yatzee would pee mostly when my husband was home too.
I'm not saying not to get your raccoon seen for an infection at all. For me, I noticed Yatzee's peeing pattern and so far, the deep cleaning and upkeep has been working.
Yatzee

Re: I think I cured the peeing everywhere problem

Postby Yatzee » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:46 pm

Hubby left his shoes on the floor and he peed all over them. It's the only thing he has peed on all day.
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:27 am

Good idea, I wouln't' have thought of that. Hope the good results continue. squish- except for hubbies shoes.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:16 am

Yahtzee,

you could always put hubby's shoes in a litter box :lol:
seriously, I really don't know why Yatzee was not using the litter box.

for removing odor, I found vinegar cuts odor. also, Creolin does too. (foxes has a lot stronger odor than raccoons), the vinegar and creolin cuts all the odor) creolin is very constrated, a little goes a long way. it has a very strong odor, don't smell bad. maybe a little like rubber.
https://www.amazon.com/OAKHURST-COMPANY ... t+cleanser

you might find it locally.. my farm store carries it cheaper than Amazon.

Keep us updated on Yatzee's bathroom habits icon-smile
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Yatzee

Postby Yatzee » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:36 am

Well, I thought I had it licked but, he keeps peeing on only hubby's stuff. Pillow, blanket..keyboard.

At least he isn't peeing randomly I guess. Hahahahahaha
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:09 pm

that's how I "inherited" Lily, the cat from hell according to my coons. I have no idea if it will work,, but maybe worth a try- Sounds like Yat is either "replacing" your hubbies scent with his own, or a dominance deal. Background:
Sometimes a foal is orphaned and a surrogate mother is needed, it is sometimes necessary to get the surrogate mother to accept the foal as her own- one way to accomplish this is to smear a strong scent on the mare's nose ( vicks vapor rub for example) and rub the same scent on the foal.
Okay, now back to your problem- it may work if you spray a solution of a scent (that your hubby doesn't hate) on his pillow and other possessions and also rub the same scent on the fur around Yat's nose.
I don't know how involved with Yat your husband is,but it may also help if he can get Yat to associate hubby's scent with good things.
Good luck and believe me you have my sympathy
Yatzee

Postby Yatzee » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:31 pm

That's the funny thing. He lays by hubby's head at night. Lays under his arm and wants to be with him when he is home. He wants to be with him so much so that I kinda get jealous lol.

I spray hubby's bedding with fabreeze every day and that kinda curbbed the peeing but, he still does it.

I like the scent thing you brought up. Hmm, maybe I should put hubby's pillow case in his bed. I'm going to try that.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:16 pm

I like the scent thing you brought up. Hmm, maybe I should put hubby's pillow case in his bed. I'm going to try that.

that is a good idea.

Yatzee, if you try Trefoil's idea, please let everyone know how it works.
I

Yatzee

Postby Yatzee » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:36 pm

Ok. Hubby has developed a neck rash, we think it's from stress but, I don't want to take any chances with giving Yats his pillow case. I will when hubby is healed.

Today however, I witnessed the strangest behavior. What I saw today was him rubbing his penis on my hoodie! I thought he peed on it because it's the same position he assumes when I catch him peeing on hubby's stuff. Nope, no pee. He did it a second time and I stood there watching. He was rubbing on my hoodie for almost 10 seconds. Is he crushing on me!!!!? Hahahaha.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:43 pm

did you say Yatzee is fixed? I can't remember. if so, what age? (they should be fixed no later than November of their first year)
if not, that is most likely the problem with him peeing. and rubbing his penis on pillow case... raccoons breeding season usually starts in December-March.

Many intact raccoons and some other animals will mark and rub their penis on tree, or whatever.. the reason, is for the the other sex to smell the urine to say "hey, I am here and available" :lol:

however, it is odd that Yatzee pees on your hubby's shoes. He should put his shoes up high or another place where Yatzee can't get to.
Put a littler box where ever your hubby had his shoes. I don't know, just a thought :shrug:

Yatzee

Postby Yatzee » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:34 am

Yeah he's fixed. I think back in September.

Everything of hubby's gets placed somewhere up high.

Raccoons are so neato. Definitely keeps you on your toes.

I've been cleaning our bedding once a week and that has definitely slowed the peeing issue. Instead of small puddles it's been just a few drops on the headboard shelf. Easy clean up.

He's lucky he's got such a cute face and those beady little lobster eyes of his...lol I'm a sucker for him.
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:11 am

Isn't it amazing how much being adorable lets you get away with?
Yatzee

Postby Yatzee » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:18 am

Yes! The little jelly roll. <3
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:24 pm

Funny, I usually call mine Heathen Devil Monster Child

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”