PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET.. https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041 FREE TO USE .. YOU WILL GET $25.00 TO START)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
please check for dog food and treat recalls: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14662

Weight management

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

Yatzee

Weight management

Postby Yatzee » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:52 am

I feed a mix of grain free whitefish and grain free chicken. I have been cutting back slowly on the amount of food I'm feeding but, it doesn't seem to be doing anything to help lose weight. If anything, it seems like Yatzee is gaining!
I play with him almost every night and definitely every morning. He chases me around the house and I chase him. We play for about 30 minutes. That probably isn't enough exercise but, it's difficult to make him exercise. When he's done playing, he just rolls over into the floor. I do put him in his cat stand and I make him climb down until he's bored of doing that.
How the heck do you put a raccoon on a diet and still keep him friendly?
I was feeding a measured cup twice a day. I cut back to half a cup twice a day and I notice he is a bit cranky with the cut back.
He will not eat anything else. He used to like grapes, not anymore. He liked corn up until Saturday. Now, he won't touch anything new or what he used to like.
Not sure what to do to keep him healthy AND happy.
Yatzee

Re: Weight management

Postby Yatzee » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:39 am

Actually, what is a healthy weight for a raccoon?
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:14 pm

Not sure the exact weight. (some raccoons are bigger in size, not weight) I think an average weight is around 35lb
I am not sure if the dog food has a lot of carbs. check the dog food bags. I feed mine very little dog food. (too many carbs could contribute to weight gain. (I know it does in people) I feed mine mostly chicken, a few marrow bones and a little sugar free cereal. sometimes a few grapes. mine like watermelon. (in the summer, frozen might be a treat. My oldest one is fat. the other two are not as bad. they slow down in the winter months. my albino female is a good weight. I know it is so hard to keep their weight down. icon-sad the other male raccoon is getting a little porky.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Juska

Postby Juska » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:29 pm

I feed my cat 1/2 cup of dry cat food a day and she's still a little chunky at 12 lbs. Two, or even one, whole cup a day for an animal the size of a raccoon sounds like way too much. I put my cat's info into this calculator; I chose the grain free fish dry formula, with an ideal weight of 11 lbs and low activity, the recommended was 234 calories or about 2/3 cup of dry food a day.

https://www.merrickpetcare.com/learn/do ... calculator
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the American shorthair
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:22 pm

They can vary drastically in size, so what could be a healthy weight for one raccoon could be an unhealthy weight for another. Looking at numbers can be a guide, but ultimately it will be up to what the raccoon feels and looks like that will be the indicator.
I'm Fable and Ifrit's mommy. Also mommy to Carousel, Breeze, and a bunch of snakes, lizards, and spiders. Oh, and one amphibian!
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:37 pm

can you post a picture of Yatzee?

Yatzee

Postby Yatzee » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:40 pm

https://www.instagram.com/yatzee_the_racoon/?hl=en

I don't know how to upload a photo but, i have a link to his instagram. Right now he's at 28 pounds.
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:07 pm

28 pounds for an adult male raccoon isn't grossly overweight. Mine (I'm ashamed to admit) weigh in at about 35 each. Honestly, it's probably pretty typical for most "pet" raccoons. (I prefer the term 'companion' raccoons because they really don't qualify as "pet", in my mind.) Our domestic raccoons seem to gain weight so easily, but when you think of how little exercise they get, living the 'kept' life with good, nutritionally balance food, it's no wonder they usually weigh more than wildies. Wild raccoons will do a lot of traveling, whether searching for food, or just puttering around. They easily can put several miles on each night. Our "pets" don't do that, so - of course - they're gonna be a bit overweight, no matter how much we deprive them of food, because they just aren't burning those calories off.

IMO, you may still feeding too much kibble, though. If it's good quality stuff, you should only need to feed about 1/4-1/3 cup twice/day. But that should also be supplemented with other food sources, such as fruits/veggies and ONE OR TWO junkfood items/day. Mini marshmallows (ONE per meal), or marrow bones or other SMALL dog biscuits (again, ONE per meal, or even per day). Mine also get 2 peanuts (in shell), about 1 tablespoon craisins, about 1 teaspoon sunflower seeds (no shells), fruit-of-the-day each meal. Mine refuse any and all veggies. Again, because they just aren't 'hungry'. :icon-wink:

And if yours is not eating the other foods you offer him, then seriously, he is just NOT hungry, either. He may think that he is, but really, he's not, because if he were, he'd eat whatever you give him, short of poison. :lol: Keep offering him assorted foodstuffs, he may start eating them again.

You also could split your 2 meals/day into 4/day (same amount of kibble - don't increase it), it may make him less irritable to be fed more often, if your schedule allows for it. You could also make his kibble seem to last longer by putting it in a slow-feeder/treat toy, such as this:

https://www.chewy.com/starmark-treat-dispensing-bob-lot/dp/45492?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Starmark&utm_term=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIw9XW3PLS4QIVi1uGCh3kkQlYEAQYAiABEgKBlfD_BwE
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:08 am

I agree with Deweysmom. good info.( also like the link you posted) when I get a chance, I will check it out better.

I would like to add another idea. by nature, raccoons are scavengers. of course not as much as a wild raccoon.
guess my point is, you can put a little food in one place, then another small bowl for him to find.

I have cut down the food for my raccoons. they are pretty inactive right now. maybe cause of the cold weather. :shrug:

mine love marrow bones. sometimes, I put a couple in cardboard (from paper towels or even toilet paper roll).
actually, I just ordered some marrow bones from Chewy. their prices are good. their shipping is quick.

Juska

Postby Juska » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:41 am

Maybe a toy like this would be fun too. Here's Namira playing with a treat puzzle, where they have to slide a lid out of the way to get the treats. It's called the Leaps and Bounds Smart Snacker. I'm sure it'd be a pushover for raccoons, with their tiny hands, haha.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvfMhqsF61c ... _copy_link

Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the American shorthair
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:29 am

juska,

I loved the video. so darn cute.

that is certainly a nice food/treat dish. however, raccoons are rougher than cats are. a raccoon might end up breaking it.
some don't have the patience as a cat does. raccoons are not as gentle as a cat. at least mine isn't.
however, working with one raccoon might be easier. :shrug:

I have a heavy duty ball with holes to put treats in. however, they can get them out pretty quick. (I stick the marrow bones in the treat ball)

thank you for the video.

Yatzee

Postby Yatzee » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:11 pm

I do scatter his food around. I spilled some one time filling his dog food container. Needless to say, I didn't have to scoop any out that day.
Maybe what I will do is, not feed him his kibble in the morning and just offer fresh food. I'll leave it for him until he realizes that's all he's getting. Or, I can do the other way around and leave it for him at night. This way I can cut the kibble down to one time a day.
Thanks you guys!!!
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:40 am

once a day for kibble is better. what brand do you feed him?
does he eat chicken? I feed mine ground cooked chicken, eggs, fruit and prunes. (my oldest one loves prunes) very little grain free dog food.

overall, it doesn't sound like Yatzee is overweight. how old is yatzee now?

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”