Dog Food Recalls: viewforum.php?f=67

Vitamins

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

Yatzee

Vitamins

Postby Yatzee » Fri May 31, 2019 1:02 am

Yatzee doesn't go outside. I try to get him to wake up before the sun goes down so he can get some sun in the window.
Lately, he has been sleeping through the mornings and not getting up until 7 or 8pm. No sun.
Should I give him vitamins? He eats grain free whitefish and chicken dry dog food.
Yatzee

Re: Vitamins

Postby Yatzee » Fri May 31, 2019 1:11 am

GNC has dog vitamins. I used the GNC women's daily.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:26 am

Yatzee wrote:Yatzee doesn't go outside. I try to get him to wake up before the sun goes down so he can get some sun in the window.
Lately, he has been sleeping through the mornings and not getting up until 7 or 8pm. No sun.
Should I give him vitamins? He eats grain free whitefish and chicken dry dog food.

how old is Yatzee now? (sorry if I forgot) raccoons are nocturnal. when mine were young, they were up during the day.
Now, they prefer to sleep all day, then get up late afternoon or early evening.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Yatzee

Postby Yatzee » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:40 pm

A little over a year. That's how I feel. They come out at night so, what's the point. I just love him so much and want him to live forever hahahaa.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:26 pm

Yatzee wrote:A little over a year. That's how I feel. They come out at night so, what's the point. I just love him so much and want him to live forever hahahaa.

sometimes, he might come out earlier. do you ever try waking him up for a little while?

I have 3 raccoons (2std and 1 albino female) the female I always see her in the morning begging for a snack.
the two males, sleep all day sometimes even in the evening. :roll:

they have their own room and enclosure. I let them in the house with me when I can. don't matter, cause, when they come in the house,
the one male will sleep in a cupboard, the oldest male sleeps on a doggie cot :roll:

Yatzee

Postby Yatzee » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:37 pm

Lol. Lazy coonies. We do wake Yatzee up sometimes but, noticed that when we do that, he is grumpy all night. If we just let him get up when he wants, he's in a better mood.
It actually seems like his schedule is getting sporadic and then back to normal. Eating like a pig, then not eating much at all.
I think not being normal is normal for raccoons. It's what I'm starting to think. Lol
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:00 pm

sometimes it is hard to change a raccoons natural sleep schedule. I try to pay attention to them during the day, but, if they could talk they would say to me "get the hell out of here bitch let me sleep when I want to. " :lol:

Yatzee

Postby Yatzee » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:35 pm

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/bayer-dvm-daily-soft-chews-multivitamin-for-dogs

I bought these today. Since I can't get Yatzee to eat anything except dog food, I got him some of these.
It recommends 2 chews but, what do you think about giving just one?
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:02 am

Yatzee wrote:https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/bayer-dvm-daily-soft-chews-multivitamin-for-dogs

I bought these today. Since I can't get Yatzee to eat anything except dog food, I got him some of these.
It recommends 2 chews but, what do you think about giving just one?

Not sure, but, worth a try. don't really think it will help. but try it.. Have you tried mixing a little fruit in his dog food? maybe try a little at first and see how it goes. how about mini marshmallow in his food? frozen watermelon or other fruits?
My raccooons and even my dogs love coconut oil. you could try a little of that.
Most raccoons have a sweet tooth. I am surprised Yatzee only eats only dog food.

does your raccoon like to be hand fed him? some or most animals want what the owner is eating (mine do). maybe if he sees you snacking on some fruit, he will want it. :shrug:

What did you feed Yatzee when he was bottle broke? also, when he was close to be bottle broke, did you mix fruit in the bottle?
when mine were on the bottle,(not when they were on a few weeks old though).. I use to blend berries and/or other fruits. very little syrup in their forumula. (not sugar free) they loved it.

Yatzee

Postby Yatzee » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:50 am

I always offer him anything I eat. When he sniffs it and shakes his head no, that means he doesn't like it.
I eat a lot of fruit and vegetables and always offer them to him. Even out of my own mouth hoping he'd see that I'm eating it so it's ok. Most times it doesn't work.
So, I bought cherries and grapes the other day. Guess what? He ate some! I don't know how long this will last but, I'm happy he ate some yesterday.
I was giving him almonds for a few days, loved them. Now, he won't touch them. It seems like if I offer the same food, because I'm happy he finally ate it, he gets tired of it and will stop eating it.
I cut up some grapes and cherries and snuck in some nectarine pieces and he ate those. Later for dinner I did the same and snuck in some cucumbers. No go on any of the fruit.
He does this though. One day I can get him to eat some grapes or cherries and then he won't eat them again for 2 months or longer. I am reluctant to add honey because of his weight. And, I know he will eat marshmallows but, if I offer them, that's all he will eat and nothing else.
Back in May of last year he had a seizure after eating. I called the breeder and he said to put baby food fruit in his bottle. So he got every kind of baby food fruit I could find from that day until he was off the bottle. Along with the plain baby rice/cereal. I never gave him any baby food chicken because I didn't think it would taste good but, now I wish I tried.
Yatzee

Postby Yatzee » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:51 am

He does like to be hand fed but, if he doesn't like it, it doesn't matter how I give it to him.
Yatzee

Postby Yatzee » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:57 am

I picked up some rice cakes too. He really liked those the first day I got them. He's had 2 and now, won't touch them.
I won't stop offering him different foods and I am happy when he does eat them. I just wish he wasn't so darn picky.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:09 pm

Yatzee wrote:I picked up some rice cakes too. He really liked those the first day I got them. He's had 2 and now, won't touch them.
I won't stop offering him different foods and I am happy when he does eat them. I just wish he wasn't so darn picky.

have you tried frozen watermelon or other fruits? Sounds like you have a spoiled little man there :lol:

Yatzee

Postby Yatzee » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:02 am

I'm going to try frozen.

Have you experienced any of your raccoons being purposefully annoying?
I want to play with Yatzee all the time but, hubby who could care less about him always gets his attention.
I get about 10 minutes of me and him time and for the rest of the night, he wants to be on my husband's lap in the chair. Or, he wants to jump all over him on the bed. My husband picks him up and puts him in his tree stand. He climbs down and goes right back to wanting to annoy him. I'm sitting over here like, hello? I want to play with you.
I take him out of the bedroom to play with him in the hallway and he does all he can do to keep away from me and starts scratching at the door to get back in the bedroom.
What the heck?
When I'm not home, Yatzee hangs out with him for about 10 minutes (they have about 4 hours together before I get home, plenty of time for Yatzee to play with him but, he doesn't)and then goes back to bed until I come home. He pops up as soon as he hears my voice. Then we spend our time together. Then, it's annoy the daddy time.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:50 am

Yatzee wrote:I'm going to try frozen.

Have you experienced any of your raccoons being purposefully annoying?
I want to play with Yatzee all the time but, hubby who could care less about him always gets his attention.
I get about 10 minutes of me and him time and for the rest of the night, he wants to be on my husband's lap in the chair. Or, he wants to jump all over him on the bed. My husband picks him up and puts him in his tree stand. He climbs down and goes right back to wanting to annoy him. I'm sitting over here like, hello? I want to play with you.
I take him out of the bedroom to play with him in the hallway and he does all he can do to keep away from me and starts scratching at the door to get back in the bedroom.
What the heck?
When I'm not home, Yatzee hangs out with him for about 10 minutes (they have about 4 hours together before I get home, plenty of time for Yatzee to play with him but, he doesn't)and then goes back to bed until I come home. He pops up as soon as he hears my voice. Then we spend our time together. Then, it's annoy the daddy time.

no my raccoons don't annoy me on purpose. some raccoons just have their own way of thinking. Some raccoons just don't play with the owners,
there are other ways you might be able to get him to play. try handing him a small treat to start. also (sounds weird) but, if you lay down at their level, they might be more apt to play. (I had to do that with one of my foxes)
Then if your raccoon gets use to that, sit on the couch with a small treat. hand feed him. Mine love marrow bones. also a bowl of ice cubes with a few mini marshmellows. watermelon? a little bit of regular syrup. most raccoons have a sweet tooth.

you should have started him out with more than just dog food. but with hope, he might like the other fruits, and a little cereal. :shrug:

all you can do is try and work with him se what works and what don't. back off on the dog food. give him very small amounts.
if he knows you are his food source, he will want to be with you more.

If I can think of other ideas, I will post.

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”