Dog Food Recalls: viewforum.php?f=67

High protein good or bad?

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

Yatzee

High protein good or bad?

Postby Yatzee » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:24 am

I have been reading so much about dog foods that my head is spinning!
I'm considering switching from 4health grain free chicken and salmon to a weight management dry dog food.
The difference is the protein percentages.
The chicken and the salmon(I mix the 2 bags together) says up to 27% protein.
The weight management says up to 20% protein.
He isn't very active so, I'm thinking he doesn't need all that protein.
Currently he's 32lbs.
For nutritional needs I am treating him like a dog and I hope that doesn't shorten his life expectancy.
There's a nurse at my doctor's office that said she had 2 raccoons at 2 different times and they only lived to be 4. I didn't have a chance to ask her details of housing and feeding though so, who knows why they died so young.
For you guys that keep yours in the house, how are you maintaining the nails. I'm still at a loss with that issue and now, he has Freddy Kruger claws. He let's me nail file them but, I can't find a nail file coarse enough to make a difference.
I wish I could find a log made from that sand material used for birds but, large enough for a raccoon to climb. I thought about sand paper but, it would RIP to easily.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: High protein good or bad?

Postby pat » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:18 am

Yatzee wrote:I have been reading so much about dog foods that my head is spinning!
I'm considering switching from 4health grain free chicken and salmon to a weight management dry dog food.
The difference is the protein percentages.
The chicken and the salmon(I mix the 2 bags together) says up to 27% protein.
The weight management says up to 20% protein.
He isn't very active so, I'm thinking he doesn't need all that protein.
Currently he's 32lbs.
For nutritional needs I am treating him like a dog and I hope that doesn't shorten his life expectancy.
There's a nurse at my doctor's office that said she had 2 raccoons at 2 different times and they only lived to be 4. I didn't have a chance to ask her details of housing and feeding though so, who knows why they died so young.
For you guys that keep yours in the house, how are you maintaining the nails. I'm still at a loss with that issue and now, he has Freddy Kruger claws. He let's me nail file them but, I can't find a nail file coarse enough to make a difference.
I wish I could find a log made from that sand material used for birds but, large enough for a raccoon to climb. I thought about sand paper but, it would RIP to easily.

I use very little dog food for mine. I would think too many carbs could cause weight gain (I know too many carbs for some people cause weight gain), however, so does inactivity. in the cold months (winter)
I personally would cut back on too much dog food, check the carbs and calories on the bag. I give mine a little cooked chicken, fruits, a little bit of cereal and a small amount of dog food. a few mini marshmallows, watermelon. also try putting a little bit of food in several different dishes and scatter the dishes.

my oldest one is a porker though. he is not very active. my youngest male is a little over weight. my albino's female's weight is good.
I know how hard it is to keep a raccoon's weight under control. does your raccoon slow down during the winter months?

how many times a day is your raccoon fed?

on the nails, yep, that is a tough one. my raccoons nails are fine. they have a couple logs they climb to get up to their food dish, or their napping shelf. mine have their own room. they have bunk beds. when they stay in their room, they like the top bunk. I have a homemade ladder that has a back on it where they have to climb to the top bunk. they also have a 3 floor tower in their enclosure where they have to climb up. I try and let them in the house with me as much as possible, however, when I do, my 2 males will take a nap in the house :roll:

as or the nails, it is hard to keep them still to clip them. if they need clipped, I do a little at a time. however, there is also a (not sure what it is called) it has it has a small grinding wheel on it where it will trim the nails. but, it is best to get a raccoon use to the noise first.

is there a way to put a enclosure outside for your raccoon? you can put logs for him to climb on. you don't have to keep him out there all time, maybe stay with him :shrug:

with my oldest raccoon, he used to get poop stuck on the back of fur :roll: I had to trim back there. one time it was pretty bad, I took him to the vet for his shots and I think something else, can't remember. but, the vet sedated him a little and shaved the fur on him.

not sure if all raccoons have claw problems. all three of my raccoon's claws are fine. guess cause of climbing the logs :shrug:

If I can get time, i will get updated pictures of their enclosure and their room. they have a doggie door that allows them to go outside when they want to.

forgot to mention, Juska posts dog food recalls. it is disturbing how many dog foods are being recalled. it is to the point, I just don't feed them dog food anymore. I thought the grain free dog food was safe. Merrick dog food was suppose to be a very good dog food. that is what I fed very little of that to my raccoons and dogs, along with their cooked chicken. strange, but, I don't recall seeing purina dog food being recalled. :shrug:

watermelon is a good source. mine like it. If I can think of other ideas, I will post them. hopefully, other members will chime in with more ideas for you.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:21 am

here is the link to the recalls and ratings for dog food that Juska posted:
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14747

Yatzee

Postby Yatzee » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:42 pm

Unfortunately dog food is the only thing he will eat.
I still try giving him other food also but, he will not even try it. Instead, he'll play with it or wash it. He just will not eat anything besides the dog food. He won't even touch the cat's dry food .
He used to eat corn, grapes and cherries. Not anymore.

As far as an outdoor enclosure, I think he would have a heart attack! Lol. EVERY loud noise scares him to the point that he runs under the bed. For a raccoon, he is not very brave. We've had him since he was 5 weeks. He's now over a year old and he still runs when we come into the bedroom. If he hears the door open or close, he runs.
I did bring a huge log in from outside and, he didn't touch. Didn't even want to go near it. I left it inside for almost 2 month. He didn't care.
He is the weirdest raccoon I've ever seen.
We keep our side of the house, which he lives in also, at 68 degrees. So, the temperature is always the same. I don't see a difference in activity with him. He sleeps all day, wakes up for 4 or so hours and then goes back to bed. The only differences we see are in his behavior. Most days he's really sweet and loving and other days he's rambunctious and wants to play and some days he's aggressive with his playing, wanting to bite and shake. Your hands, feet or head. When he does that, I put him in his cat stand and give him a small handful of dog food and it seems to calm him down. He's more aggressive when he's hungry. That's why I haven't cut his dog food out.
He gets 1/2 a cup in the mornings. Around 8am.
Then around 6 or 7pm, I through about 10 kibbles in his bowl to get him awake. About 8pm he gets out of his drawer and hangs out with us, goes to the bathroom, plays with his toys. He's really good at keeping himself busy.
Around 11pm he gets an eighth cup of kibble while he's on his cat stand and I wrap his blanket around it and tell him night night and he goes to sleep.
I do try to exersice him. We play hide and seek or we chase after each other but, he poops out so quick that it's over within 10 mins. But, I grab a blanket and likes to grab onto it while I drag it a long the floor. I like to think this works his core muscles..hahahaaha.
The last couple of days though, he's been only staying up for an hour and then going back to bed for the night or, he goes to his cage in the hallway, no closing doors on it, and he spends quiet time in his hammock. Seems to want to be alone.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:07 pm

have you tried mixing a little bit of fruits in his dog food? stir in it. maybe a little bit of syrup or sugar to sweeten the deal. if he gets hungry enough, he might eat it.

most raccoons will dip their food in water. some do and some don't. Most of mine do dip their food in water.

sounds like you have a spoiled little man :lol: it is hard not to spoil them. :lol:

since raccoons are nocturnal, that is what they do, sleep during the day. mine will get up to eat anytime. :roll:
but not always.

one thing I did with all my raccoons at a very young age, is discourage play biting or even aggressive biting . there are other ways to play with raccoons. Raccoons are intelligent well, when they want to be :lol: if they even put their teeth on me, I discourage that.

my raccoons and foxes was a breeze after raising Sybil (my black bear) the breeder pulled her from momma the day I bought her.
took me 6 months to work with her.

keep me updated on Yatzee.

catlover1019

Postby catlover1019 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:24 am

I've always heard that too much protein is bad for their kidneys which is why they should be fed dog food rather than cat food if they're being fed commercial pet food.

As for biting, it's entirely your call if you're comfortable with allowing that sort of play. I'd be very careful who you let around him if he tends to bite, though, because a lot of horror stories I've heard start with exotic pets (or even ferrets) biting somebody and eventually ended up dead usually through somebody's malice.

I'd say to watch him for signs of nutritional deficiencies. An all-kibble diet really isn't ideal for any animal, but some do really insist on it. It's all one of our cats will eat, for example. I think it's unlikely for a poor diet to cause invisible health problems that will shorten his life significantly.

Disclaimer: I do not claim to be an expert on raccoons or any other animal. As much as I love coonies, I'm not sure I've even ever seen one up close in real life. I don't think I'm really making any claims from ignorance, though. I'm sharing what I've heard, and I don't think additional knowledge about raccoon behavior really would make any difference to the biting thing. I'd say the some for a dog. An animal with a tendency to bite is a danger to themselves more than anything else. However, people tend to be rather exclusive with who sees their exotic pets anyway, so it's less of an issue. It's not like you're taking him to dog parks.
Yatzee

Postby Yatzee » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:42 am

Thanks cat lover. I appreciate the info.

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”