https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Orphaned baby Coon

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Traci

Orphaned baby Coon

Postby Traci » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:25 am

Hello,
I've recently had an orphaned baby coon literally waddle over to me in my yard one day (1wk. Ago). Before I realized it was truly orphaned, I tried to coax it back into the woods to be with its mother (hit by a car), but 2 hours later it was back and very obvious it had nowhere to go. BEFORE I GO ANY FURTHER...I WANT EVERYONE TO KNOW THAT I AM A "HUGE" ANIMAL LOVER and would do anything for the well being of these innocent little creatures! I live in Michigan and I know it's not legal to own a coon without a permit/license. I've contacted several rehab facilities, etc. and have not had any luck trying to find a home for him so I've done extensive homework regarding the care of my little guy. He seems to be doing quite well. I think he's about 6-8 weeks old...maybe? He has teeth, but I like to soak his dog food in some kitten formula a little bit to make it easier for him to chew up. I keep him inside my house in a large dog cage that has toys and a mini igloo for cozy hiding spots. He spends a lot of supervised time out of the cage running around and playing.

MY QUESTION IS:... Is there a good bedding to use for him that will keep him warm, but be easy to clean or dispose of? He's so messy and not litter trained. LOL. Thank you! Any advice would be very appreciated.

Traci P.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Orphaned baby Coon

Postby pat » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:48 am

Is there a good bedding to use for him that will keep him warm, but be easy to clean or dispose of? He's so messy and not litter trained
I use to use old blankets or towels for bedding. he sounds like he might be a couple months old if he is eating. they do litter train pretty easy. they just need access to a litter pan all the time. anytime he goes out of the box, put his poop in the pan. it might take time, but, he will eventually use it.

I don't know if you plan on keeping him. but, the problem is if you do, he will need a vet. he should be fixed.
the other problem is, if your dnr finds out, they will take him and kill it. so, at this point don't tell anyone near you that you have this coon.

you could also raise him to return to the wild. he will need to learn hunting skills. but, introducing him to the wild, will take awhile.

if you do find a rehab center that will take him, be sure, they won't kill him. that has happened. there are a lot of good rehabs.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Ana

Postby Ana » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:44 am

Have you got any pictures? Maybe we can help you guess at an age?
Traci

Postby Traci » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:54 pm

The profile picture I am using looks to be about the same age as mine. My little guy might be a little older, but not much at all. My phone takes too large of pics to post. I can't figure it out.. I would love to return him to the wild one day and I would just DIE if I took him to a facility that ended up killing him! I will be very cautious of that!!
I think this is a great website/forum and I'm finding it to be very supportive and I love it! Thank you so much. I will be doing all of my consulting on here. LOL
How do I know when it's time for him to go back home? Is there a behavior to look for? What can I do to prepare him for that? I just want to give him the best shot of survival out in the big world. He's just so darn cute! Thanks for your help ladies! GREATLY APPRECIATED!
Ana

Postby Ana » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:35 pm

As little human contact as possible, unfortunately. It's SO HARD. I have always relied on the advice of
Dr. Hines for rehab coons, he's been at it a very, very long time. Good luck! :D

http://www.2ndchance.info/raisingraccoons.htm
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:15 pm

Ana wrote:As little human contact as possible, unfortunately. It's SO HARD. I have always relied on the advice of
Dr. Hines for rehab coons, he's been at it a very, very long time. Good luck! :D

http://www.2ndchance.info/raisingraccoons.htm

that is a great web site. I looked around on more of that site, and had a lot of good info.
sounds like this guy is a vet and has delt with wild raccoons for many years.
there is also good info for dogs, cats, and other animals.

really worth looking thru it.

thanks for posting that link
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Ana

Postby Ana » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:36 pm

I started reading Dr. Hines pages years ago, his information definitely saved some of my youngest
orphaned kits, can't recommend him highly enough! What an amazing gift, he's so thorough, and he's
seen it all!

Keep us posted on how your bubby is doing, I love hearing about the babies as they progress! :)
Traci

Postby Traci » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:15 pm

I have gone to that website! It is SUPER! Lots of info! It's just so hard to figure out what to do and when plus I work full time and I feel like I'm neglecting him. He screams for me when I put him back in the cage and it breaks my heart. He's always reaching out is little hands to me throught the cage. It's really heart wrenching! I wish I could find someone to give him what he needs. DNR isn't much help around here. They gave me names and numbers, but I'm not having any luck still. I wish I could ship him to ya. LOL. I know you would take good care of him. :icon-wink:

Traci

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”