https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

2 orphan coons

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Monette

2 orphan coons

Postby Monette » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:42 pm

Hi. I' got 2 tiny coons, a month ago.

One, Emma, had partially open eyes, the other, Zoe, were still closed. I've been bottle feeding them puppy replacement goat milk, and 2 weeks ago started adding infant Gerber Rice Cereal with banana apple (it's in the rice cereal) They gobbled it down. Now, they're fighting me, acting like they don't want the bottle, but I can't get them to eat anything non-bottle. I've tried fruit, baby food, high quality can dog food, etc. The smaller one, Zoe, is almost refusing to eat. Someone told me I'm expecting them to eat too much. Right now, Emma takes 6 oz formula/cereal/apple juice 3 times a day but Zoe only eats 3 oz of that, just twice a day. Both are extremely active and look healthy, but I'm concerned with the little amounts they're eating.

I'm very attached and them. Currently working on a 20'x20' concrete floor enclosure for them. They're still living indoors, free roam except at night. They sleep in a 4'x4' kennel. I'm not sure how old they are,???

Any tips or advice would be so very appreciated. I want them to have the best life possible.
I'll attach photos as soon as I can figure out how to resize them.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 2 orphan coons

Postby pat » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:32 pm

welcome to sybils message board.
I moved your post to the proper forum.

by what you have said, I am guessing, they are about 6 weeks old from what you have said.
they can start eating eating food. start with fruits. you can also try putting their milk in a bowl.
some coons are easier than others to bottle break. not sure why they are not taking the bottle anymore.

the only thing I can think of is, they might want more regular food or you could try putting a little honey or syrup in their milk.
coons have a sweet tooth.

they really should have shots and definitely be fixed.

I know how easy it is to get attached to them.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Monette

Postby Monette » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:05 am

Thank you for moving this to the correct forum.
I greatly appreciate the info on feeding them.
My vet is actually seeing them after hours. They've been wormed, shots etc.
She, too, said they need to be spayed. I'm on the fence about that tho.
Do they just get overly aggressive if not spayed? :shrug:
I'm really considering moving back to Florida, and bring them with me, so there's no issues with me having them.
Yes, it was extremely easy to get attached. They're the sweetest little girls!
Wish I could make my photos smaller so I could post pics
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:47 pm

Hi Monette: As long as they are gaining weight, they are getting enough to eat. If they need more, try feeding more often rather than more at a time. To get them on "food", try sharing with them when you are eating things that are good for them. i.e. if you're eating an apple or chicken, offer them a small piece. Be careful about that, my daughters' coon grew up thinking thai food was really coon food. Seeing you eat it will make them want to try it. There are several websites that have a lot of information on pet coons,one of my favorites is here: http://remocoon.mnsi.net/index2.htm
Its an older site but its fun and has a lot of information, including, I believe pictures to help you determine their age. You are feeding what I feed my babies,except I usually use KMR. And you might want to give them a little vitamin/mineral, just in case. Vionate or something like that. Feel free to ask anything you need to and enjoy your babies, they are so much fun, and the more time you spend with them now, the better they will be as adults. Teaching them to be caged now is a really good idea, waiting until they are adults in need of vet care to try to cage them for transport can really be a problem. I would love to see pictures of them.
Monette

Postby Monette » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:42 pm

Thanks Trefoil
Yes, they're gaining weight. I bought a postal scale to weigh them with. I try to feed them every 3 hours but now, they're only eating about every 6 hours. Great idea to share my food with them as they crawl all over me while I'm eating lol! Thanks so much for the link too.
I'm trying to figure out how to make my pics smaller on this iPad I'm having to use. Here goes nothing,
Monette

Postby Monette » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:46 pm

Ana

Postby Ana » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:55 pm

And you've got a dog for them to play with! That's so fantastic!
The site Trefoil mentioned, that's Remo's dad, and he's been raising
raccoons for, well, a 'coons age, you can trust him. :)

I don't have the facebook, but I'm thinking of making an account just to
see more of your babies! :D
Monette

Postby Monette » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:01 pm

Oh gosh yes! My pug, Jake, LOVES the little coons! He's a "he" but acts like a mother with new puppies, which I'm so very thankful. Zoe & Emma adore him too. They just can't figure out why he can't climb up the tree with them lol!
I've got tons more pics on my Facebook, of all my pets (dogs, coons, hedgehog, rats)
I'd try to add more to photobucket, then here, but don't want to overload everyone with pics
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:07 pm

AWWW, They are sooooo cute. It makes me want another baby. A word to the wise, Sooner or later you are going to be waiting at the bottom of the tree for them to decide to come down. And, don't ever let them outside alone,my poor Zac was only out for a minute and he went to the road and got hit.
What are their names? I've got Chloe and Scooter. Chloe is 5 and Scooter is a year old. Is the dark one a boy or girl? My Chloe is spayed and she's a holy terror, or I should say she can be a holy terror, I can't even imagine how she would be if she wasn't spayed, she can also be very lovely. If you have tropical fish you will need them in a room you can lock the coons out of. There is no such thing as an overload of baby coon pictures.
Monette

Postby Monette » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:18 pm

Both are girls. The black one is Zoe, who I think must have been the runt. She is so much smaller than Emma. I never let any of my fur babies outside alone. Even tho I live way out in the country, on a dead end gravel road, I still worry something could happen to them. Good think about Jake the pug, he doesn't let the coons out of his sight. He makes a good baby sitter inside lol! I'll try to load a few more pics. I'm so sorry about your poor little Zac! That's heart breaking!
Monette

Postby Monette » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:25 pm

These were taken the day I got them.
Monette

Postby Monette » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:43 pm

Not real sure how to post a quick video clip but if this works, it shows Jake playing with Zoe & Emma

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”