PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Re: Raccoons

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Jeanie

Postby Jeanie » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:56 am

We were so happy with the one we adopted 2 years ago. 'Indy' was a rescue, but we brought him up as a happy, very intelligent house pet. We live in Michigan where it is illegal, so we released Indy to 500 acres of family land.( The ONLY way to save his life ) Been trying to find a 'licensed breeder' in Michigan so that we can have another one...and this time keep him with us forever. When you get to know the heart of a raccoon, it is something out of this world. Not a single day goes by, that I both don't think of Indy, nor miss him. He was so loving and so much fun to be with.
A shame....people can trap them, abuse them, sic their dogs on them, etc...but illegal to love and care for one.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:15 pm

I moved your post to raccoon forum.

yep, I know how easy it is to fall in love with these guys.
my oldest one just died at 9 years old, I miss him so much. he was such a great guy.

usually for release, they should be introduced to the wild, and not much people contact.
I know that would be a tough thing to do.

keep in mind, if Indy was kept unfixed, his mood most likely would change.
many get aggressive at breeding season if they are intact.
lets just hope Indy is safe and happy.

I don't know anyone in your state that sells raccoons. Trefoil(member) lives in MI, she might know.
otherwise, I know there are some breeders in Ohio, Indiana. other than that, I don't know anywhere else.

people can trap them, abuse them, sic their dogs on them, etc...but illegal to love and care for one.
excellent point. that so true, and so darn sad.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Jeanie

Postby Jeanie » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:02 pm

Thank you for your note back, Pat !
I did work with Indy several months before his release...oh my, and did we talk about it !
( yes....He was not 'fixed', nor did I even file his needle like nails ) He was starting to get a shyness about him towards strangers at the end too.....but he sure remembered friends !!Not surprised you know of no breeders in Mi...I have searched and searched....and searched. ( kind of like a dog with a bone, actually ) There were 2, but they gave it up and became zoo's.
As you know...I am brand new to this site. Tried to post a photo of Indy and I on release day, but it was too large. ( I will try to find that "Trefoil" person. One never knows !
I am so sorry to hear of your Special Raccoon just passing away. I need to believe that they go to Heaven. Afraid, to me, Heaven would be boring with out my animals.
Jeanie

Postby Jeanie » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:16 pm

PS, Pat/ ( Pa )....are you from Pennsylvania ???
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:22 pm

I a assuming Indy was well under a year old.
if it makes you feel any better, he might of come a aggressive when he reached maturity.
I have heard they get pretty nasty around breeding season.

you are better off getting one that is legal, then you can get him fixed.
but, do so about 6 months.

I don't know how far MI is to Ohio or Indiania. but, I know a couple breeders.

ohio has a swap meet in may (in mt hope ohio) usually, there are some coon breeders there.
but, I don't know how MI is with buying out of MI.

a start would be to find a vet that will treat raccoons. you will need that anyway.
if there is one, call and ask if they know of any breeders.
if you have a zoo nearby, see if they know of any. (guess, it don't hurt to ask)

coons are not usually born till spring. sometimes, there are litters in the fall, but, most breeders
usually sell them in may-june

I will keep my eyes open. in the meantime, you can get your plans together.
a large pen will be helpful. (don't have to leave him in there all the time, but, he will most likely enjoy the outdoors
also.

yes, I am from Pa. pa is usually pretty tough to get exotics. however, for some strange reason,
all that is needed for a racoon, skunk is a bill of sale from a breeder from Pa. unless one has a propagation permit (thats what I have).

by the way, welcome to sybils message board. there is a lot of great members and good info here.

for the pictures, you need to resize them, if you want, email them to me, and I will resize them, then email back to you.
also, there are some online places where you can resize a picture.
I would love to see your picture..

thanks again for joining us...
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:54 pm

You Might try calling Tom Ferstl @ 989-871-3521. He's a vet in Millington that treats the pet skunks and would know if anybody in the area breeds coons. It may be a way to travel for you, but they treat small exotics. If you call him, tell him that if he was any kind of vet he would treat peacocks.posting.php?mode=reply&f=91&t=11162#

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”