please read this regarding toxic dog foods: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14637

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Disabled Florida coon needs help

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: hecate, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ana

Disabled Florida coon needs help

Postby Ana » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:52 am

Hello all,

If anyone is aware of a resource for soft release in Florida, or an individual capable of providing support for a handicapped coon, please contact me as soon as possible.
AzureWolf

Re: Disabled Florida coon needs help

Postby AzureWolf » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:29 pm

ana, I just activated my line account again you can use that phone number
Ana

Postby Ana » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:10 am

Sir, I cannot thank you enough for stepping up for this young man. I spent hours calling every rehab within 200 miles of this situation and not one person was able to help him. It's just wonderful to have this resource at hand, I can't thank Pat enough for maintaining this. This is another little life she has helped! And thank you, TG, for the resource, though unfortunately he was hundreds of miles away. You guys are the very, very best. <3
AzureWolf

Postby AzureWolf » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:10 am

:) if everything works out i will be going to pick up the little guy on Tuesday! Thank YOU Ana for taking your time to help and contacting me. You're still a superhero ma'am.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:45 pm

Well, glad we had a member who could help and was on at the right time.

Welcome back DaddyMisfit.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:48 pm

I second that TG.

meant to tell you daddymisfit, WELCOME BACK.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:35 pm

Glad you could help out! And welcome back. :))
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:28 am

Please let us know how you are coming with your new coon.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:10 am

I too have been wondering how the raccoon is working out.

AzureWolf

Postby AzureWolf » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:49 pm

It turns out the coon isn't really a disabled as thought he only has a bottom tooth that sticks out crooked and give him a snaggle tooth grin which is actually endearing and too cute. So far however, the couple is still on the fence about him. I can fully understand that because raising one up for almost 2 years you become extremely attached and it's very hard to give that up even though you know it's the best thing it still hurts. I know from experience.

As far as him being care for they are doing a pretty good job what I have seen other than he probably doesn't get out as much and run around as he should he's still healthy although since they have no permit they can't get him neutered and if an emergency did happen there's no vet unless they risk losing him completely in a bad way.

They are going to get with me the beginning of next week and see where we're at then
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:29 pm

AzureWolf wrote:It turns out the coon isn't really a disabled as thought he only has a bottom tooth that sticks out crooked and give him a snaggle tooth grin which is actually endearing and too cute. So far however, the couple is still on the fence about him. I can fully understand that because raising one up for almost 2 years you become extremely attached and it's very hard to give that up even though you know it's the best thing it still hurts. I know from experience.

As far as him being care for they are doing a pretty good job what I have seen other than he probably doesn't get out as much and run around as he should he's still healthy although since they have no permit they can't get him neutered and if an emergency did happen there's no vet unless they risk losing him completely in a bad way.

They are going to get with me the beginning of next week and see where we're at then

for some reason, I kind of had a feeling this raccoon was not disabled.
maybe if you explain that if they are caught, they will kill the raccoon. this might get them moving.

I didn't know this raccoon is 2 years old. you might end up with a little bit of problem for awhile.
it will just take awhile for him to adjust. at least you have the experience.

how is this raccoon kept? do they put him in a cage for long periods?

Ana

Postby Ana » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:21 pm

The couple live in a room they rent out of someone's house. The coon lives in a dog kennel/crate.

I know how difficult it is to let a coon go, but the fact that there is a safe option for him is practically
miraculous. They've got to do the right thing before someone makes a phone call and Carlito dies because of it.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:25 pm

:cry: The couple live in a room they rent out of someone's house. The coon lives in a dog kennel/crate.

sad, poor guy. hopefully, they will release this raccoon to AzureWolf very soon.

AzureWolf

Postby AzureWolf » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:16 pm

Hey guys. Sorry I haven't been as active but been super busy and its hard to type anything in depth from a phone.

As I posted earlier as best I could. Carlito the "Toon"(raccoon) in question is still with his family. These are the facts as I know so far. Carlito is a close to 2yr old male racoon who was found by a couple when his eyes where still closed. Carlito was raised by the girlfriend and the boyfriend was a vet-tech. Frist couple didn't work out. Carlito went with GF. (The two, Carltio and GF, are extremely bonded) **Jump to present day** New boyfriend and old boyfriend still helps with vaccs and such but is and I quote from the new bf "Helps with the vet stuff somewhat, but thats a can of worms."

The couple went through some "rough times but are working it out". I believe this is more the new bf's idea and not hers. They understand he needs more room. He does not however stay in just a dog kennel. The BF built him a 5x4x6 wire enclosure in the room they share and he is not kept in there all the time, though he is confined only to that one room. His diet is actually very good and he seems from the pictures to be in great health.

I have explained to them and they understand the reality that not possessing a permit that puts Carlito in danger. I have also expressed to them the urgent need to have him neutered as soon as possible. Already he is becoming more "Coonish" and moody. We have communicated extensively and they are trying to comes to terms. She said I am the best possible place for sure but she isn't so sure he needs a new home. They work all this week so they will let me know something first thing next week.

I've done all I can and even offered, at the very least, to help them get a permit.

And while im at the computer and able to type more. Thank you all for the Welcome back. Its been a while and life has been a whirlwind of change and its good to be back. I am going to have to post an update and some new pics of my current group of miscreants and misfits. :D Namaste

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”