Water fountain instructions and supply list

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Water fountain instructions and supply list

Postby pat » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:31 am

thank you ana, that will be a big help for everyone.

the fountain is great, any raccoon or other animals would love it.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:37 pm

Thanks
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:56 pm

I'd really like to download the PDF, but don't want to join at "Instructables" to be able to do so. Any way you could email me the PDF directly? Thanks, Ana!
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Tue May 03, 2016 11:16 am

Dewey now has a fountain in his enclosure and he absolutely LOVES it!! (Thanks for the idea and the instructions, Ana!)

However, one design flaw should be noted: To avoid a clogged drain and a huge mess with overflowed water, best to install an overflow drain plug and run it back into the water reservoir. For those of you who have (or are intending to) install one of these in your house, be forewarned!!

Yes, I'm speaking from personal experience. :wall: As all other critters this time of year, Dewey is in spring shed, and his fur clogging the drain caused a flood in his enclosure last night. Ugh! HE enjoyed playing in all the water, but I didn't enjoy removing all the wet toys, etc and removing about an inch of water from the floor (his enclosure has rubber mats). What a mess! And, of course, Dewey was ever so helpful as I tried to clean up the mess. Not! LOL Thinking about it, though, anything - really - could cause a clog: stuffed toys, paper - anything the busy little hands of our beloved raccoons find and like to dunk in water.

Regardless, the fountain STILL is a fabulous addition and I highly recommend it - just with the addition of an emergency drain overflow! :icon-wink:

Because we installed this in Dewey's outside enclosure, we heavily insulated the box containing the water tank, too, and insulated the spigot. With the amount of insulation, figuring it not only will keep the water cooler in the warmer months, but also will keep it from freezing in the extreme cold. Will implement an addition of a tank heater during extreme cold, if necessary.
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
Ana

Postby Ana » Wed May 04, 2016 3:02 pm

:red-face: :red-face: :red-face: Oh my goodness, I never thought of that!!! :( If the fountain isn't somewhere that you are seeing
it every few hours, it'll definitely need an overflow! I'm so sorry, but I know Dewey must have had a great time, my brats delight in
water related disasters. :roll:
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Thu May 05, 2016 12:15 pm

No worries, Ana! Yes, Dewey had a ball playing in all the water. I got it swept out and finally - after 2 days - is now completely dry. LOL

Husband fixed the basin with an overflow pipe, so hopefully no more soggy situations.
Dana

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”