PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Tick paralysis - anyone have experience with rehab?

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

RaccoonRebel

Re: Tick paralysis - anyone have experience with rehab?

Postby RaccoonRebel » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:51 am

He hates fish. He will try to get away from it and squawks at me. He loves marshmallows, Granny Smith apples, and ice cream. If I eat something around him he wants to try it.

We have to build a new walker frame soon. He has outgrown his first pvc one.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:14 am

RaccoonRebel wrote:He hates fish. He will try to get away from it and squawks at me. He loves marshmallows, Granny Smith apples, and ice cream. If I eat something around him he wants to try it.

We have to build a new walker frame soon. He has outgrown his first pvc one.

what kind of fish did you give him? my oldest one (that has died a few years ago) loved fish. he shared it with this fox buddy.
for some reason, some raccoons seem to prefer a variety every few days. my two youngest ones do anyway.

whatever you are eating always tastes better for some raccoons:lol:

I am really hoping he will not need a walker in the future. I give you a lot of credit for your effort.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:51 pm

Mine don't care for fish either, although they did like the maple sauce on the maple smoked salmon. If I'm eating something they will usually at least try it. Chloe takes it and then decides whether or not she wants it but Scooter won't take it unless he wants it.
RaccoonRebel

Postby RaccoonRebel » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:08 am

Well, the little guy has grown quite a bit. We finally got his back legs to stop crossing when he used his walker but now he doesn't want to use his front legs. icon_confused.gif

When he is sleeping and stretches, he shows a good range of motion in his front legs and tonight he closed and opened his "hands."

He has a good appetite. He eats his high protein kitten food, fruits, a few veggies, occasional junk food, and meats- except fish. He still does not want fish.

Obviously, he still does not walk on his own, but he does lift his own weight on his back legs. He is alert and curious. He still does not have his voice back, but makes his wants and needs known. From what I understand, the voice is the last thing to return after tick paralysis. At least I hope so, because then there is still hope for him to walk.
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:41 am

Thanks for the progress report. Have you had his blood tested to see if he's still carrying parasites or anything he shouldn't? It seems like a veterinary college would be interested enough to help with further treatment.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:10 am

some progress is better than no progress.

don't know if this will help. awhile ago, I had a llama that was completely paralyzed. she couldn't even pick her head up.
we use to give her under the skin fluids.

however, everyday, I would work with her, I rubbed all her legs, and kept trying to bend them. pretty much the idea was to keep her joints moving.
it took well over a month, and she started to try and get up, in time she did with a little help. she did good after that.
I know I can't compare a llama to a raccoon, but, it might be worth a try to keep rubbing your raccoon"s legs several times a day.
try and get him to use all 4 legs.

I agree with Trefoil, also get is blood tested..

thank you the update.

Ana

Postby Ana » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:08 pm

So glad he's still trucking along, making progress!!
RaccoonRebel

Postby RaccoonRebel » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:45 am

I actually have a friend who is a physical therapist :) she told me about some rehab exercises to do with him. They have helped. Progress is just slow- but better slow than none at all. Considering that at one time he couldn't move at all, he has come a long way. I am going to get him neutered in the next few weeks so I will have them do some blood tests. Thanks for that suggestion. He has two lesions between his shoulder blades that need to be checked out too.

Thanks to everyone for all the great suggestions and support :)
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:55 am

you are doing everything you can. it probably just takes time for a full or almost full recovery.

keep us updated..

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”