PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Tick paralysis - anyone have experience with rehab?

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

RaccoonRebel

Re: Tick paralysis - anyone have experience with rehab?

Postby RaccoonRebel » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:51 am

He hates fish. He will try to get away from it and squawks at me. He loves marshmallows, Granny Smith apples, and ice cream. If I eat something around him he wants to try it.

We have to build a new walker frame soon. He has outgrown his first pvc one.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:14 am

RaccoonRebel wrote:He hates fish. He will try to get away from it and squawks at me. He loves marshmallows, Granny Smith apples, and ice cream. If I eat something around him he wants to try it.

We have to build a new walker frame soon. He has outgrown his first pvc one.

what kind of fish did you give him? my oldest one (that has died a few years ago) loved fish. he shared it with this fox buddy.
for some reason, some raccoons seem to prefer a variety every few days. my two youngest ones do anyway.

whatever you are eating always tastes better for some raccoons:lol:

I am really hoping he will not need a walker in the future. I give you a lot of credit for your effort.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:51 pm

Mine don't care for fish either, although they did like the maple sauce on the maple smoked salmon. If I'm eating something they will usually at least try it. Chloe takes it and then decides whether or not she wants it but Scooter won't take it unless he wants it.
RaccoonRebel

Postby RaccoonRebel » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:08 am

Well, the little guy has grown quite a bit. We finally got his back legs to stop crossing when he used his walker but now he doesn't want to use his front legs. icon_confused.gif

When he is sleeping and stretches, he shows a good range of motion in his front legs and tonight he closed and opened his "hands."

He has a good appetite. He eats his high protein kitten food, fruits, a few veggies, occasional junk food, and meats- except fish. He still does not want fish.

Obviously, he still does not walk on his own, but he does lift his own weight on his back legs. He is alert and curious. He still does not have his voice back, but makes his wants and needs known. From what I understand, the voice is the last thing to return after tick paralysis. At least I hope so, because then there is still hope for him to walk.
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:41 am

Thanks for the progress report. Have you had his blood tested to see if he's still carrying parasites or anything he shouldn't? It seems like a veterinary college would be interested enough to help with further treatment.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:10 am

some progress is better than no progress.

don't know if this will help. awhile ago, I had a llama that was completely paralyzed. she couldn't even pick her head up.
we use to give her under the skin fluids.

however, everyday, I would work with her, I rubbed all her legs, and kept trying to bend them. pretty much the idea was to keep her joints moving.
it took well over a month, and she started to try and get up, in time she did with a little help. she did good after that.
I know I can't compare a llama to a raccoon, but, it might be worth a try to keep rubbing your raccoon"s legs several times a day.
try and get him to use all 4 legs.

I agree with Trefoil, also get is blood tested..

thank you the update.

Ana

Postby Ana » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:08 pm

So glad he's still trucking along, making progress!!
RaccoonRebel

Postby RaccoonRebel » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:45 am

I actually have a friend who is a physical therapist :) she told me about some rehab exercises to do with him. They have helped. Progress is just slow- but better slow than none at all. Considering that at one time he couldn't move at all, he has come a long way. I am going to get him neutered in the next few weeks so I will have them do some blood tests. Thanks for that suggestion. He has two lesions between his shoulder blades that need to be checked out too.

Thanks to everyone for all the great suggestions and support :)
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:55 am

you are doing everything you can. it probably just takes time for a full or almost full recovery.

keep us updated..

RaccoonRebel

Postby RaccoonRebel » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:48 am

Another update. I had the vet X-ray little raccoon boy’s shoulder/front leg to make sure it was okay because it stays straight most of the time. That part is all fine, just needs to loosen up. The main problem is that his spine and sternum are both somewhat deformed and his left “wrist” doesn’t properly line up with his leg bones. The vet said that is probably why the momma raccoon abandoned my little guy.

So my little guy may never walk on his own power. I plan on keeping up his rehab and letting him roam the house in his walker. He still deserves a chance to live.
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:18 am

Thanks for the update, I've wondered about him. He's lucky to have you.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:54 pm

DM

I had a cat that had a wobble, they need to be pulled out. they can be deadly if not taken care of.
However, wobble vs tick infection will be two different symptoms. the wobble are more visable, vs a infected tick bite.

If the raccoon is having a hard time walking, then it does sound like a tick bite infection.
from my experience with tick bites, a raccoon, dog etc, would need doxycilene.
it is given for 30 days. I got the pills for my dog, however, giving pills to a raccoon is not easy at all, especially capsules.
with hope, there might be a liquid form of doxicillcillen. not sure, if they can be bought at TSC or a farm store.

after giving it to my dog, she bounced back in just one day, however, I still had to continue the pills for the remanding days.

https://www.drugs.com/doxycycline.html

I use to have ticks all the time here, in even the winter :roll: I bought some guineas, problem solved, guineas love ticks for food.
have not had a problem since.

for ticks, not sure, but, I think if you rub your raccoon with coconut oil, that might help.

RaccoonRebel

Postby RaccoonRebel » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:45 am

When he was very small he almost died from tick paralysis. The vet was surprised he lived, and that he is still alive now. The vet also thinks the tick paralysis caused stroke-like symptoms.

Since he had not learned to walk before the ticks hit, it is more difficult- he has to learn to walk, not relearn. He does use his back legs to push himself around in his walker. I’m just keeping the faith.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:43 am

RaccoonRebel wrote:When he was very small he almost died from tick paralysis. The vet was surprised he lived, and that he is still alive now. The vet also thinks the tick paralysis caused stroke-like symptoms.

Since he had not learned to walk before the ticks hit, it is more difficult- he has to learn to walk, not relearn. He does use his back legs to push himself around in his walker. I’m just keeping the faith.

why didn't the vet recommend doxicillon? not sure it will work now at this stage :shrug:

not sure if you know this, but, anytime you see a tick on any animal, there is a tick puller that gets it out very easy.
https://www.amazon.com/ZenPet-Tick-Torn ... ick+puller

I have used this on my dogs a few times. it is easy to use. just slip the puller over the tick, twist and pull. if you get the tick, flush it down the toilet.

I have been lucky, (I shouldn't speak too soon) but never found any ticks on my raccoons or foxes. on another note, my foxes would groom the foxes and sometimes the raccoons.

awhile back, one of my raccoons had a bunch of ants on his ass end. I dumped peroxide on it, problem was solved.

keep rubbing your raccoon with coconut oil. not positive it will help, but, don't hurt to try. they also eat it, they love it, or can be added to their food.
I will be selling coconut oil if I can get the time to bottle it. I put it in quart canning jars which will be pressure sealed.
once the jar is empty, you can use the canning jar for storing other foods or whatever.

RaccoonRebel

Postby RaccoonRebel » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:37 am

I put some cooking oil on the ticks and they let go. He didn’t have a lot of ticks but he was very small. The ticks were very small too.

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”