please read this regarding toxic dog foods: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14637

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Tick paralysis - anyone have experience with rehab?

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

DeweysMom

Re: Tick paralysis - anyone have experience with rehab?

Postby DeweysMom » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:20 pm

Here is a link for information on the condition cerebellar hypoplasia, AKA "wobbles":

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerebellar_hypoplasia_(non-human)
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
Rubythills

Postby Rubythills » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:33 am

If he has lymes disease, shouldn't he be put on antibiotics? I know if dogs or humans get lymes, they are immediately but on long doses of antibiotics. It will clear up if it is not in the late stages. Just a thought.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:10 pm

Tick paralysis is not lyme it's just an extreme reaction the "venom" from the tick biting, lyme is contracted from a microbe the tick sometimes carries, but since it was bit it should be tested just to be sure, assuming it hasn't been.
RaccoonRebel

Postby RaccoonRebel » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:10 am

Since he exhibited improvement within hours of tick removal, it is probably from the ticks. The problem was he had three "attacks" and he is a baby so each time was more of a set back than the time before. He has enough strength to hold himself up but needs s a spotter in case he falls over. Yesterday he ate two tiny marshmallows- the first things he ever ate that weren't from a bottle. He crunched on a little puppy and kitten food today. And a bit of bread. Baby steps- but improvement.

Vet didn't suggest any meds- just resistance and movements.

I'll work on figuring out how to share a picture of his walker.
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:55 pm

Glad he's showing improvement.
RaccoonRebel

Postby RaccoonRebel » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:32 pm

Well, I read about Wobbles. When I take the raccoon back to the vet I will ask about it.
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:50 am

RaccoonRebel wrote:Well, I read about Wobbles. When I take the raccoon back to the vet I will ask about it.

I think the disease bears enough similarity to what you're seeing that it's worth asking. Maybe print out the information and bring a copy with you for your vet. Even if it is NOT wobbles for your little guy, it never hurts to have the additional knowledge for the future.
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
RaccoonRebel

Postby RaccoonRebel » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:04 am

I am wondering if we should be working on getting him to crawl right now instead of walk. He had not learned to walk like a big raccoon before this happened.
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:15 am

Is his problem strength or balance? I don't know how you would "teach" him to crawl, but encouraging any movement would probably be a good thing. I have no personal experience with wobbles, but the equivalent in horses is genetic and carried in some lines of Thoroughbreds and Arabians. I don't think its prevalent in wild animals because they die soon after birth- not being able to compete.
RaccoonRebel

Postby RaccoonRebel » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:28 am

Trefoil- It's hard to tell if his balance is off because he has a very weak front leg and it obviously affects his balance. It is almost like he is a stroke victim. I try to do motion exercises with him to keep his range of motion but his right front leg was the first limb affected. I have a "walker" that he uses. He moves it but has coordination issues with his back legs sometimes.

He seemed to crawl around fine at first. He was probably about three weeks old then. He became listless. I removed two ticks. The next day he was better. Several days later it happened again. I removed 2 or 4 more ticks. A few days later it happened again. Each time the ticks seems to be sucking his life out and when they were removed he would get better. Another reason I think it is from the ticks is because he lost his voice.
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:43 pm

I am assuming you are 100% sure he has no ticks. Have you & your vet considered blood cleansing herbs? I realize that vets can get very expensive very fast, but does your state have a vet college? A blood test may be able to tell you if there is something still going on that is slowing his progress. It also may just be a matter of time for him to overcome the effects.
RaccoonRebel

Postby RaccoonRebel » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:10 am

He has been tick free for just over four weeks. He finally starting eating dry kitten/puppy food last week. He does okay in the walker I made for him. He is alert. He started trying to play. He has limited play abilities because of his inability to walk. He does manage to get around in his "room".
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:04 pm

Its probably going to be a long road and anything that encourages him to use his limbs should be helpful. Mine love to play with ice cubes and golf balls also fingering different textures. Even if he's laying down and patting them, its movement. Be careful about allowing him bad behavior because "poor baby", the bad behavior is a lot easier to stop before it gets habitual. I hope he gets his voice back soon,I would really miss Chloe's complaints, and Scooters warnings.
RaccoonRebel

Postby RaccoonRebel » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:35 am

Here is his walker, version2. I forgot to mention- I'm a special education teacher. We work on stretching his legs and weight bearing daily. I also keep him in line. After he eats he wants to go chew crazy. He knows that he will be put in his play pen (a large terrarium) and can chew on his many toys.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:49 am

His chew crazy might be a sign that his meals aren't satisfying the need to chew. You might want to hold a piece of chicken or some other food for him to chew on after he eats. It should be something that won't break off and choke him. It will also enforce the idea that your fingers aren't chew toys and holding on to it while he chews will also help him not develop food aggression later.
Very inventive with the walker

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”