PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Tick paralysis - anyone have experience with rehab?

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

RaccoonRebel

Re: Tick paralysis - anyone have experience with rehab?

Postby RaccoonRebel » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:29 pm

Thanks. I'll try meat again. So far he doesn't want anywhere near any fish. He does love bread. He doesn't get bread much though.
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:27 pm

Mine don't like meat except for chicken. Try using the chicken as a chew toy, play with it with him, encouraging him to chew on it rather than your fingers. Should do the same thing as a pacifier for a baby only for chewing rather than sucking, and give him a taste of chicken as well. When he's done with it you can give it to your cat or dog. When you introduce chicken to him as a meal, cut it into small pieces.
RaccoonRebel

Postby RaccoonRebel » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:55 pm

Thanks trefoil!
RaccoonRebel

Postby RaccoonRebel » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:36 am

He is not interested in chicken. Cookie the Shar Pei was happy to take care of that though. I suspect Rhett the Raccoon would eat the chicken if I wrapped it in a giant marshmallow. He has a sweet tooth!
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:16 am

RaccoonRebel, you're really going the extra mile for this lil guy! Thank you for that!

What a contraption! :lol: I hope - with time - the lil darlin' won't be needed that, as he gets stronger. I would LOVE to see a video of him tooling around in this, and also share it with a raccoon health group on FB.

As far as chicken: My guy won't touch any kind of chicken EXCEPT what we get at our local chain quick mart (Royal Farms). He will refuse any and all chicken - boiled, broiled, fried or grilled - but will just about take your fingers off when you hand him a piece of the broasted chicken from RF. Yeah, he's just a little bit spoiled.

Continued good luck with Rhett!
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
RaccoonRebel

Postby RaccoonRebel » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:20 am

Thanks DeweysMom. Right now Rhett is sitting upright on the couch beside me. He's leaning against the arm and trying to dig between the cushions. I'm excited because, even though he cannot grab things with his hands yet, he is now moving both front legs and putting his hands on things that I know he wants to grab- like food.
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:47 pm

I'm excited because, even though he cannot grab things with his hands yet, he is now moving both front legs and putting his hands on things that I know he wants to grab- like food.

And boobies! They like boobies! :monk-dev: Or at least, mine does...
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
RaccoonRebel

Postby RaccoonRebel » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:07 pm

LOL!!!
RaccoonRebel

Postby RaccoonRebel » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:25 pm

Rhett seems to be weaning himself off the bottle. I'm a little worried about his nutrition if he stops the bottle- I put his vitamins in there.
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:52 pm

If you add his milk to new foods you could still put the vitamins in it.
RaccoonRebel

Postby RaccoonRebel » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:13 pm

I'll give it a try. I know he won't take milk mixed with ice cream. He won't lap it from a bowl either.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:17 am

how is your raccoon doing? I hope lots of improvement.
how is the weaning going?

some raccoons are a little harder to wean than others.
I usually start mine by alternating the dish of milk and cut back on the bottle.
sometimes I would put the nipple in the bowl of milk.

most foods a raccoon prefers small pieces of chicken or whatever.
whatever size fits in their hand seems to work.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
RaccoonRebel

Postby RaccoonRebel » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:40 pm

Rhett decided he doesn't want his bottle anymore. He eats kitten and puppy dry food. He does not want wet food or meats. He does eat little marshmallows, he licks on fruit, he eats bits of granola, and he really likes ice cream. He tries to play the best he can, but he does not walk alone. We built him a pvc walker but I am having issues with the harness/sling that holds him. He lists to one side or the other.

He seems fat and sassy, healthy and happy.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:50 am

sounds like Rhett is making some improvement. so glad to hear that. guess it will take awhile. I really hope he can make a full improvement.

any food you give him, try and give it to him in small pieces to fit in his hand. they seem more apt to eat it that way.
have you tried a bowl of ice cubes yet? (can't remember if I mentioned it). also, some love watermellon. you can try different fruits.
also peanuts is a raccoons favorite. I sometimes give mine shelled peanuts, they like take it out of the shell.
all mine love the ice cubes, I add grapes, marshmallows and a one of two marrow bones to the bowl of ice cubes.

thank you for the update and thank you for giving him such wonderful care.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
RaccoonRebel

Postby RaccoonRebel » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:28 am

He reaches for stuff with his paws now but he still cannot grasp things yet. In his pvc walker he scoots around and i think he is trying to get into stuff now.

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”