raccoon teething

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: raccoon teething

Postby pat » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:08 pm

never heard of Coviden. now that you mentioned it, I am pretty sure the cephalexin if for skin issues.
don't know much about all the different drugs. some I do, some I don't. OK, most I don't. :lol:
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Debek60

Postby Debek60 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:39 pm

Both are for soft tissue infections. I asked about penicillin and was told that this is WAY better. Am trying everything for my little sweetie guy. His mood is still good and so is his appetite! LOL.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:54 pm

whatever it takes to get to Huggy better. so very glad you found something that helped. :peng:

Debek60

Postby Debek60 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:04 pm

I am hoping. Today was the first dose. So far, no adverse reactions. As always, fingers crossed. You are SO kind to care. Thank you
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:08 pm

glad everything is going well so far, hope Huggy continues to improve. it sounds like it.

keep us updated.

Debek60

Postby Debek60 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:20 pm

I will keep you up to date. and thank you again. Good to know there are some genuinely nice people in the world
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:35 pm

appreciate it. I try hard to reply or post here, however, I get so busy everyday.

we do care about animals here and or course the owners. we just want the best for everyone
I know how easy it is to fall in love with raccoons. out of all the animals I had and have, raccoons are my favorite.
they are full of personality if raised right. I know you are doing a great job with yours. makes me happy. thank you for that and thank your for joining us.

Debek60

Postby Debek60 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:14 pm

I sure do try. He sure is loved. What a character!! (I told him he simply could not leave me today, it is my birthday). I want to have him till one of us dies of old age. Looks like you have a fox too? The picture is beautiful!! I am a TOTAL "critter lover".
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:47 pm

Happy Birthday today. Hope Huggy celebrates with you today.
I can tell you love animals. I always worry about if I kick before my animals, what would happen. I am starting to make arrangements just in case.
oh, yes, I have 3 foxes. right now, 3 raccoons. had 3 in the past, 2 died of old age. sadly last year, I had a 6 month old raccoon, he was such a sweetheart, I took him to the vets to get neutered, he also had a cut on his leg. the vet gave kept him under I think longer than he should have been.
he died coming out, the vet put him in his carrier, I don't think anyone was monitoring him, and he died. I was devastated, when the vet told me about that. still upset over it. now my two youngest male and female needs fixed, I am so scared, I will stay with them this time and make sure they are monitored.

oh, I have and had tons of animals, lots of work. I had two black bears, only one left, the male died last year.. last year was a bad year for me.
I lost 4 animals icon-sad , one 8 year old coonhound, my blonde raccoon, the 6 month old raccoon I told you about my male bear.
my bear died 1 week before my raccoon did. my raccoon was 10 years old, he had bone cancer. I couldn't let him go on much longer,
so I had him put him down. I know he was suffering. icon-sad. with my coonhound, she was running around playing the day before, then the next morning, she couldn't walk and looked very sick. I rushed her to the vet, and they said she had cancer in her stomach and it burst, I had to put her down. I was so heartbroken. her and my other coonhound helped raised George (my oldest raccoon).

so, yep, I also love animals, and so heartbreaking when I lose them. icon-sad

keep us updated on Huggy...

Debek60

Postby Debek60 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:16 pm

Wow, you have really had your share of sorrow. I am so sorry about all of your losses. I had to put my 12 year old Appaloosa mare down last summer. Her coffin bones had rotated and were in danger of puncturing through the frog in her front feet. AWFUL DAY! My dog is a blind diabetic and of course needs extra care. I have dozens of barn cats that I feed as well as the daughter of the mare I lost. I bought her a companion mini donkey. They are like sisters. I got Huggy when an adult female raccoon attacked him. Once I started bottle feeding him, I was in love.
I want to live where you do so I can have MORE critters!!! I REALLY want a wolf!!!
Thank you for the birthday wish, you are such a kind person.
I will definitely keep you posted. Thank you for all of your concern. You do not know how appreciated it is.
Deb (Mom to Huggy Bear, Bugsy, Cocoa, Kitala Nagi ( Little Shadow) too many barn cats to even name)
Kagney

Postby Kagney » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:31 pm

Happy Birthday! And so glad to hear your little one is doing better!
You really are blessed to have a vet work with you like that, and it sounds like Huggy has found his perfect place in life. :)
Debek60

Postby Debek60 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:38 pm

Thank you on all counts. I sure do love my little guy.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:56 pm

Debek60 wrote:Wow, you have really had your share of sorrow. I am so sorry about all of your losses. I had to put my 12 year old Appaloosa mare down last summer. Her coffin bones had rotated and were in danger of puncturing through the frog in her front feet. AWFUL DAY! My dog is a blind diabetic and of course needs extra care. I have dozens of barn cats that I feed as well as the daughter of the mare I lost. I bought her a companion mini donkey. They are like sisters. I got Huggy when an adult female raccoon attacked him. Once I started bottle feeding him, I was in love.
I want to live where you do so I can have MORE critters!!! I REALLY want a wolf!!!
Thank you for the birthday wish, you are such a kind person.
I will definitely keep you posted. Thank you for all of your concern. You do not know how appreciated it is.
Deb (Mom to Huggy Bear, Bugsy, Cocoa, Kitala Nagi ( Little Shadow) too many barn cats to even name)

sorry to hear about your appaloosa mare. I know how hard it is, the non-animal people just don't understand when we lose our pets.
what a horrible problem the poor thing had. so sad.
I hate when I hear, just go get another one. we know it don't work that way.

a wolf was never an animal I wanted, don't know why. maybe cause I don't know enough about them. I already have my hands full anyway.
so to hear about your dog, that is so hard on us when we have animals that need special care. my first raccoon larry lee had liver cancer when he was 9, it was horrible to see him decline in health, he got to the point, I had to put him down, I cried for so long, I still miss him.
I raised him and my oldest fox together, both were very bonded, even though my fox had two other foxes and two other raccoons, he missed larry,
daryl (the fox) cried out for him for two months, it was so sad.

I have two mini donkeys, the last few years, their hooves have been growing so fast, I heard damp or rain causes that :shrug:
actually, as much as I hate to, I am thinking of re-homing them. I hate to re-home animals, but, I am having a hard time giving the the time I would like to. yep, mini donkeys are generally friendly and seem to get along with most animals. they pal around with my 16 year old steer.
I have an aussie dog, he thought he was going to herd them, they all ignored him. :lol: so the dog gave up and sometimes would lay next to the steer. :roll:

what a bummer about Huggy getting attacked by an adult raccoon. how old was Huggy when this happened? usually most raccoons get along with no problem. I am sure there are exceptions.

Debek60

Postby Debek60 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:15 pm

Huggy was only about 4 weeks old. I think it was love at first sight. I have enjoyed him so much. My mare (Mitawa Wanka Tanka) her English name was My Great Spirit and I tried everything possible for her. Comes a time when the Rainbow Bridge beckons. I know she is happy and racing with Secratariat!! My grandfather was a Lakota Sioux and he told me when I was young that the wolf was my totem. I have read and researched about them most of my life. Actually hooves grow fastest in hot weather, so says my farrier. The donkey's hooves grow much faster than my horse's do. Don't quite get that, but guess I don't have to. LOL I know how hard it is to lose a loved pet and as you said, non-animal people just don't get it. Too bad for them never having known just how special our pets are to us. Seems I am rambling..sorry.
Love hearing from you.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:01 pm

Actually it makes sense donkey's origins are from more arid and rocky areas so in the wild their hooves needed to be tougher and grow faster to make up for the wear.

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”