please read this regarding toxic dog foods: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14637

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Dairy: Yes or no?

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

Sparttan117

Dairy: Yes or no?

Postby Sparttan117 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:43 am

We all know that raccoons can eat all sorts of food, it I was wondering just how far that goes. In particular, I was wondering if raccoons are capable of eating dairy. I know that there are some people as well who's stomachs don't agree with dairy (lactose intolerance usually), but even that is scaled. Also, I've seen eggs and the like included in the dairy family, so I was wondering if any difficulty with dairy products would extend to all dairy products or if the problems tend to be milk based.
TL;DR: Is dairy bad for raccoons? Are all raccoons lactose intolerant?
Ana

Re: Dairy: Yes or no?

Postby Ana » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:43 am

The babies get diarrhea from lactose. My grown kids get a tablespoon of heavy cream in their scrambled eggs, some shredded cheese in their vegetables, a spoon of yogurt here and there. If they're on a really good diet, and aren't hypersensitive, a little bit is fine. I was at the vet Saturday, and saw a poster declaring avocado a 'no no', on par with chocolate and grapes. Wtf? Anybody know more about that?
Sparttan117

Postby Sparttan117 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:31 am

Ana wrote:I was at the vet Saturday, and saw a poster declaring avocado a 'no no', on par with chocolate and grapes. Wtf? Anybody know more about that?

Was the poster specific to dogs? Dogs are much more sensitive with their diet because of their ancestors diet primarily containing meat. Also, are grapes bad for raccoons? I heard that raccoons love grapes.
Ana

Postby Ana » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:29 am

It covered houseplants and sundry, there were cats and dogs pictured - no coons. :/

They're do love grapes, but I've reduced it to a few grapes per week due to these grape concerns. I asked the vet about it, he wasn't sure. We've been struggling to compile a lIst of toxic items, and
caution items.
Kagney

Postby Kagney » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:35 am

Can't imagine grapes are really a problem. Wild coons have been chowing down on wild grapes for as long as there have been coons and grapes. I've also seen many animal sanctuaries feed them freely. Who knows though... :shrug:

Ana,
Did you happen to ask about cooked bones while you were at the vet?
Sparttan117

Postby Sparttan117 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:19 pm

Ana wrote:It covered houseplants and sundry, there were cats and dogs pictured - no coons. :/

This may or may not have to do with the fact that cats and dogs are more common as pets than raccoons are in most areas, so that'll be the focus of most vet clinics. Another place to ask would be any wildlife rehab clinics near you since they might have more raccoon specific experience and would probably know more about what raccoons normally eat. I'm not saying disregard what your vet says of course, but additional sources could also help.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:57 pm

Avocado meat is fine but peals and pits have the toxin in it. There is even a brand of dog food made with avocado. There were a bunch of animals poisoned from avocado at a zoo recently but I can't find the story now. Should be fine if just meat though. Pua gets a bit every night.

I have heard of skunks killed from grapes but not raccoons but who knows tons of dogs ate grapes for a long time and most seemed fine till it was discovered. I would expect most omnivores to be more likely to be okay with it though.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:25 am

I think grapes are OK for raccoons within reason. I feed mine grapes, but, not everyday.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:59 pm

Everything in moderation. I've fed grapes AND raisins with no side effects. But they don't get them every day, and they don't get many at a time. Dairy is OK - again, in small amounts and not every day. I have found that my one raccoon gets the trots from organ meat - whether raw or cooked, from red meat or poultry - and so I don't feed that to him any more. Both of my boys love raw eggs. They get one once or twice/week. Eggs are NOT dairy, and in the wild, raccoons will raid bird nests to get eggs.
Before I'd heard grapes are toxic to dogs, me and our old Aussie would chow down on them together several times a week. He lived to be nearly 14 yrs old before his poor old body failed him.
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
AzureWolf

Postby AzureWolf » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:18 pm

To much dairy may have adverse effects. I'm not sure. As for grapes..I volunteer at a wildlife rehab and they feed the Coonies grapes daily. Here is an old post of pics from there. viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11991

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”