HAPPY AND SAFE HOLIDAYS TO ALL

please read this regarding toxic dog foods: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14637[/b]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Corso.

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

Ana

Corso.

Postby Ana » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:49 pm

I don’t bring my pain to the Internet, or really to anyone, if it’s possible to conceal it. It’s just how I am. It’s very difficult for me to bring this here, but I have to, because every would-be coon parent has the right to know, and to understand the wide array of possible outcomes when you adopt a coon.

Several weeks ago, Ramsay Corso left home and has not returned. Prior to this, he had been spending the majority of his time in the outdoor playroom the boys have access to. On several occasions we closed off entry to the playroom and held him captive in the house, but his discomfort and anxiety were so acute that we would capitulate quickly and let him go back outside.

Corso was always complicated. He was sick as a baby, and didnt even look like a proper coon. He clung to me for those first months, we were never separate even for a moment. When I absolutely had to leave the house, he would travel in my shirt, snuggled against my skin. He was my first baby, and I loved him to pieces from the minute we met. By the time he was a year old, he started to change. He was abruptly less interested in being with me, and would venture out into the house at night by himself rather than sleeping on my head. I would discover that coons are only diurnal the first year of life, and become nocturnal after that. I switched my sleep schedule around so we could stay together, and he would visit with me here and there, but nothing like we were. He was always polite, but uneasy, nervous, uncomfortable. Many nights he would stand in the hallway and cry, and there was nothing I could do to console him. As Corso spent more time outside, we made additions to make the playroom into more of a home, with a larger winterized den and a bigger fountain. And there he stayed, primarily by himself. I’d hear the coon door swing shut about 4am, and my eyes would pop open. I’d listen to him scramble over to the kibble, eat quickly, move to the litter pan, spend a minute there, then clamber back out the coon door. That was the extent of his voluntary visits for the last year. Some nights I’d wait up, and try to visit with him at the kibble. He would become uncomfortable quickly, and not wanting to invade his space, I’d retreat. And that was it, until the day he pried open one edge of a playroom wall and left.

For a week, we canvassed the neighborhood with his photos and our contact information. He’s up to date on his shots, he’s neutered, please, don’t panic if you see him. I contacted the police, animal control, local trappers and wildlife rehab groups. I offered the local children printouts of coon tracks and paid them to scour the snow. Every night between two and five am, I’d drive and walk and call and listen. We purchased concentrated female coon urine and created a ‘scent wick’ in the playroom. We collected the litter deposits of Charb and Jude, and scattered it around the yard. In the last 5 weeks, there has not been a single print, a single sign, a single sighting. It’s as if he vanished.

Jude, Charb and Corso have been raised in the same way, in the same environment. Jude and Charb have no desire to leave the family group. When we hang out in the backyard, they stay close, dig for bugs, use their toys and climbing stuff. I’ve tried to sneak away, to see what they’d do if they found themselves separated from the gaze - they invariably would catch me and race back to the porch. Neither of them would willingly leave the family, let alone the property. They love to be held, hugged, kissed, brushed. We share treats and toys and space without issue. None of this could be said for Corso, and there's no way to determine how I failed him, or why he made the choices he made. He matured in a way the other boys didn't, or in some way I don’t understand. He’s an independent coon, with no desire for a family unit. When the boys would go out to visit him, he’d be aggravated and grouchy. They haven’t gone out there again since discovering he had left, which leads me to think that they were going out there just to see him, to be with him. They kept trying, goddamn does that hurt.

The trappers tell me he’ll come home, but they don’t know him. I don’t know him either, but I know he didn’t want to be here, and I have no choice but to respect that. I'm still haunted, I still look for him, and will probably continue to do so for a very long time. I call the roadkill collector to ask about collected corpses, and check bodies when I see them. It's all there is left to do now.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Corso.

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:13 pm

I'm sorry. I know if kangaroos and wallabies theirs a phenomena they call a King. He's got more testosterone and whatever than a regular one. In the wild he'd be head of the mob. They are fairly rare but do not work as pets or be calm if neutered. Maybe it's a similar issue. Corso was meant to be in charge of a territory. Or maybe something with his youthful illness made him want to be more independent.

I'd recommend leaving some food out for him and a place to sleep if he wants it. Sometimes they will come back if the going gets tough even a long time later. Hopefully he's okay and found what he was longing for.
Ana

Postby Ana » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:01 pm

A 'King' - that sure sounds like him. Territorial, controlling, did not tolerate sharing, always vigilant.

This neighborhood is fancy. There's a BIG fancy park for rich people just a few blocks away, multiple ponds stocked with fish, tons of birds, eggs, frogs. There are a few indoor/outdoor cats, so there's frigging bowls of food everywhere, decorative ponds everywhere, vegetable gardens, koi.. It's a paradise for a coon. I'd been putting out the nightly dinner hot for weeks, watching them pile up. The garage and back patio are open, and I keep my bedroom window open permanently, so I can hear if he should ever call out in the night. Do you think there's still a chance? It's the not knowing that's so ugly, can't stop turning it over and over in my head, all the different places he could be, what we might have missed. In my worst-case-scenario brain he's cowering somewhere in fear and hunger, afraid and alone, wondering where mama is, when she'll come, but no... thats not reality. Just have to keep remembering him, and his solitary disposition, his intelligence, his cunning. That's my kid, that's reality.
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:14 am

Very sorry you (and also Corso) have gone through this. I hope you are able to find closure.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:15 am

Does sound like he'll have it pretty good there. There's always a chance though some coons that were soft released come back months later for a visit or a little break from wild life or a little help. Some of course never visit but there's a chance he could.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:10 am

Ana,
I am so sorry you didn't find Corso yet :cry: He still can return. I doubt he is scared or in distress, sounds like (as mary said) paradise for him wherever he is. He still may return, so dont' give up yet.

I still find it rather odd, Corso didn't want to bother with Jude and Charb though. The fact Corso wanted to be by himself all the time, is odd.
Maybe he was just one of a kind. it is not written in stone that all raccoons are the same.

You went above and beyond to find Corso. he might be closer than you think. Raccoons are really good at hiding, so he still could be somewhere
that no one can see him. Raccoon can camo very well up a tree. However, I would think he if was close to your house, you would see prints.
Maybe he hooked up with another raccoon family. :shrug:

If there is anything I can do, please let me know.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Kagney

Postby Kagney » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:41 am

I'm so sorry Ana.
You've done everything you can to find him and entice him home, its in his hands now.
Hang in there. For what its worth, you know this entire community is here to listen if you need us. We all have our fingers crossed that Corso is safe and will return.
AzureWolf

Postby AzureWolf » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:00 am

I'm so sorry Ana. I know how you must feel. I remember when you were building his climbing setup. Be strong hun. You can email me if you need or want to talk. I'll msg you my email if you've forgotten it.
Ana

Postby Ana » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:45 am

Thanks so much, guys. I just need to get through this anxiety stage to whatever comes next. The not knowing part has me imagining every horror possible. And what on earth will we do if he did come home. We've been discussing what we'll do, probably construct another coon walk, longer,  all the way to the furthest edge of the yard. There we could put a barn type structure, in an enclosure,  that would be his and his alone, and try to make him a space where he can eat, sleep,  potty without having to come inside unless he chooses to.  Something spacious and isolated, see if that improves his quality of life.  Perhaps if I'd have done that to begin with and not stubbornly pushed and forced him inside for kibble and potty he'd still be here.
Jude and Charb haven't slept apart since he left. They're having a little war over ice cubes in their
play tunnel right now. Such good boys, I'm very fortunate.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:09 pm

Ana,

try and think more positive about Corso. He probably will surface on his time. when he does, probably an outdoor enclosure would fit him best.
most raccoons like being outside, but not all 24/7. George and my past raccoons loved being outside, they spent more time in their enclosure than they did in their room or my house. (their choice)

Corso got a taste of the outdoors, and sounds like that is his preference. Corso is probably hiding out somewhere. like I said, raccoons can be hard to spot outside.

when I had Bobby and he got out, he was at my neighbors under her porch. I honestly would have never known that if she didn't ask me if it was my raccoon. Even though Corso was an indoor raccoon, that don't mean he was happy. Bobby's original owner kept bobby in the house 24/7.
but, he was not happy in house. All raccoons are different.

have you been setting the "have a heart" trap? However, who knows what raccoon you would get, but, I am sure you would know if it was Corso.
On another note, since there is so much food throughout the neighborhood, then he has a feast there.

If I can start feeling better, I can come up and bring my coonhound and beagle. can't promise they will find him, but, it is worth a try.

Ana

Postby Ana » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:03 am

CORSO IS HOME. 5 weeks of total radio silence and my back neighbor called and said he saw a raccoon!
Ran out there in the dark in my pajamas, found prints on the wood that lead into the under deck area and
they were WET from the rain so I knew they were fresh, freaked out, sent my brother for marrow treats
and a carrier. He was in the insulation, had pulled back this heavy black plastic that was stapled over the
pink insulate stuff and was in there. He loves carriers, and jumped in with a few minutes of coaxing. He's
lost about half his body weight, and shook so hard while eating, then hiccups. Got his hair brushed, going
to take a shower and see if he'll join me, need to wash that coat out from the fiberglass he was in. After
that I'll advantage him the minute he's dry.

He's weak and shaky, but has been asking to go out the coon walk loudly, tearing at the window frame, crying.
Told him no. Gonna chain link the play room hopefully tomorrow, can't think any further right now, covered in mud
and shaky, LOL.

IT'S OVER.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:06 am

Glad you got him back.
Ana

Postby Ana » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:05 am

Still in shock. He's trilling VERY loud, but he's had a shower, ate very well. His weakened state has him very friendly, let his father hold him, accepted hugs and kisses. I can't believe its over. Will go examine the insulate and liner at the neighbors at sun up, make repairs if there's been any damage. Then bake them a cake. Took pics, have to go downstairs to transfer though, will do tomorrow.

Thanks so much, guys.
Ana

Postby Ana » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:23 am

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:37 am

Ana,

:peng: :eleph: :bear:

so glad Corso is back. I knew you would find him, it was just the waiting game.
He sounded very close to home?

Wonder how long he was at your neighbors. The insulation is a bit of a concern.
Overall, from your picture and video, he looks good, he is not underweight.

Can you make a run for him outside later?

Keep us updated..

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”