please read this regarding toxic dog foods: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14637

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Who wants a raccoon?!

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: hecate, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Dylan and cassi

Who wants a raccoon?!

Postby Dylan and cassi » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:08 pm

I was supposed to get a raccoon from tiny tracks this year and I have already put a $200 down payment and now after months of trying to change some laws for me to be able to get a coon legally they still prohibit it. I've talked to Tammy and I will put my down payment that's already down to help someone buy a raccoon since it is non refundable.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Who wants a raccoon?!

Postby pat » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:20 pm

Dylan and cassi wrote:I was supposed to get a raccoon from tiny tracks this year and I have already put a $200 down payment and now after months of trying to change some laws for me to be able to get a coon legally they still prohibit it. I've talked to Tammy and I will put my down payment that's already down to help someone buy a raccoon since it is non refundable.

icon-sad
if I remember it was local that prohibited them? is there a way to dispute that?

this crap really gets me mad when. these jerks regulate animals that they know nothing about.

I am so sorry this happened, I know you really wanted one too.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:27 pm

That's nice of you.

Is there anything he sells you can have like skunks http://www.tinytracksexoticanimals.com/Skunk.html

Or maybe Coati's http://www.tinytracksexoticanimals.com/codimundi.html
Dylan and cassi

Postby Dylan and cassi » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:48 pm

Yes, it was city ordinance. Everything was fine for the state level and county level. I figured someone else could enjoy one since I can not and the $$ is not refundable
AzureWolf

Postby AzureWolf » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:02 pm

Might I inquire as to your location?
AzureWolf

Postby AzureWolf » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:05 pm

AzureWolf wrote:Might I inquire as to your location?

Just looked at tiny tracks.....Indiana......oh i wish i was closer. I hope you can work something out. Permitting sucks in some places. :wall: icon_confused.gif
Dylan and cassi

Postby Dylan and cassi » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:39 pm

I'm located in Illinois and tiny tracks is in Indiana !
Dylan and cassi

Postby Dylan and cassi » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:57 pm

I just don't want the money wasted. $200 is $200 and I know a lot of people who are part of this message board are looking to get a raccoon.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:18 am

Dylan,

that really was a such a thoughtful gesture. I am just so sorry you couldn't get a raccoon. icon-sad

I will just never understand these crazy regulations.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
pugcoons

Postby pugcoons » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:45 pm

I think we are interested in getting a second raccoon. When was the raccoon going to be available? The site just generally says April-May.
Sparttan117

Postby Sparttan117 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:13 am

You could house it at a friend's house out of town and get it registered as an emotional support animal. If it's an emotional support animal, local breed bans do not apply as per the case of Warren v. Delvista Towers Condominium Association because if the ban was applied to an ESA it would be considered a discriminatory housing practice. The legal definition of breed is anything that can pass down its traits to offspring genetically. Anything up to state level qualifies as a local law and therefore can be overruled by federal laws. Laws regarding ESAs are federal.

According to the National Service Animal Registry, "All domesticated animals may qualify as an ESA (cats, dog, mice, rabbits, birds, snakes, hedgehogs, rats, mini pigs, ferrets, etc.) and they can be any age (young puppies and kittens, too!)." The legal definition for a domesticated animal doesn't require the animal to have been bred for a certain number of generations, it only has to be "tamed." The definition of tamed is extremely loose, essentially amounting to it doesn't just attack people for no reason.

As for having a need for an emotional support animal, the definitions for emotional disorder could apply to pretty much everyone. Everyone has something that could be deemed "wrong" with them (I sure know I do). Qualifying disabilities are:
-Emotional/Psychological Issue
-Age-Related Cognitive Decline
-Anxiety
-Any Psychiatric Condition (see exclusions below)
-Autism
-Bipolar Disorder
-Depression
-Dyslexia
-Emotionally Overwhelmed
-Fear of Flying
-Panic Attacks
-Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
-Separation Anxiety
-Social and other Phobias
-Stress Problems
-Exclusions to the Qualified Disability Definition
Neither deviant behavior (e.g., political, religious, or sexual) nor conflicts that are primarily between the individual and society are mental disorders unless the deviance or conflict is a symptom of a dysfunction in the individual. According to Title II of the American with Disabilities Act of 1990, current or future interpretation of psychological disabilities excludes common personality traits such as poor judgment or a quick temper.

If you don't have a therapist, NSAR says "If you have no therapist or your therapist is unwilling to write such a letter, we recommend using Chilhowee Psychological Services; a licensed mental health services agency that specializes in online/telephone disability assessments and offers letters of prescription to clients who qualify. This agency is approved by the U.S. Justice Department, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, and the U.S. Department of Transportation (the agencies that govern the laws protecting emotionally disabled handlers and their ESAs): http://www.cptas.com"

TL;DR: You could keep the raccoon at a friend's house out of town long enough to get it registered as an Emotional Support animal. Once registered, local bans do not apply to the animal. Laws for ESAs overrule local breed bans.

Edit: Warren v. Delvista Towers case at https://www.animallaw.info/case/warren- ... m-assn-inc
"The court also found that enforcing the county ordinance would violate the FHA by permitting a discriminatory housing practice." (Case summary, Warren v. Delvista Towers Condominium Association)

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”