ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Raccoon with fleas

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

gatorgirl16

Raccoon with fleas

Postby gatorgirl16 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:29 am

Hi! We're new here. We meaning my friend and I. He has a raccoon, the coon is grown but is having flea issues and actually vomited up a flavored milk bone treat. He hasn't eaten since. It's been 24 hours since since he threw up and that was the first time he had a flavored milk bone. My friend gave him a bath and a Capstar and did some combing. What else can he do? He's still drinking some water and covers his face to avoid getting the capstar. Thank you for any insight!
Ana

Re: Raccoon with fleas

Postby Ana » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:10 am

I use advantage on my boys, dog variety, once a month, carefully at the nape of the neck. They don't love it, but it works.
If he ingested any capstar, it could have created the nausea. I'd get a monthly flea treatment program started, and leave it
at that. He should also be wormed. <3
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:45 am

I agree with Ana, it could have been the capastar that made him sick. you should take him to the vet.
if you are concerned about worms, you can also get a stole sample and take it to the vet for testing. but, if you do go to the vets, they can get a stole sample there.

if he had a lot of fleas, you can kill them peroxide. then rub coconut oil thought his fur and skin. it should help keeping the fleas of him.
but, it should be done everyday.

what brand of milk bones was the raccoon given? rather than milk bones for a treat, try the marrow bones instead. my raccoons love them.
never had a problem with them.

I am not so sure about the capastar, my vet sold me braveto for mine, I have not used it yet, kind of nervous to. but, according to my vet,
he claims this one is safe.

on the capastar, was the weight correct for the dosage? if it was too much, that would make him sick.

again, please take him to the vet to make sure. keep us updated please.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:04 pm

The original post wasn't very clear. It sounded like he got sick before the Capstar? Since still not eating I think a vet is a good idea.
Tilly's Mommy

Postby Tilly's Mommy » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:45 pm

I'm going to start my two year old female on a flea treatment schedule, we're having some flea issues too and wanted to get suggestions and ideas of what everyone uses. I see Ana, you use advantage, what size do you use? Do you go by their weight just as you would a dog or suggest a smaller dosage? Could really use suggestions thanks in advance.
Ana

Postby Ana » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:23 am

I use advantage, large dog, and dose by weight.

I will add I've been doing this for about ten years with the "large dog" advantage for coons, dogs and cats of all sizes, basing doses in weight. Here's the chart from online.

Quick list for Advantage, for both cats and dogs:

Cats up to 9 pounds - 0.4ml
Cats 10+ pounds - 0.8ml
Dogs 11-20 pounds - 1.0ml
Dogs 21-55 pounds - 2.5ml
Dogs 55+ pounds - 4.0ml

To further break down the Advantage dosage by weight alone:

0.4ml = 0-10#
0.8ml = 11-20#
1.2ml = 21-30#
1.6ml = 31-40#
2.0ml = 41-50#
2.4ml = 51-60#
2.8ml = 61-70#
3.2ml = 71-80#

If you're using Frontline, use the following guidelines:

Cats 0.5ml
Dogs 11-22 pounds - 0.67ml
Dogs 23-44 pounds - 1.34ml
Dogs 45-88 pounds - 2.68ml
Dogs 89-132 pounds - 4.0ml

If you're using Frontline Plus:

The amount of fipronil in the dog version is the same as in the cat version. The "Plus" is methoprene, an insect growth regulator. There's LESS of it in the dog product than in the cat product, so it's safe to use the dog product on the cats but do NOT use the cat product on a small dog.

The dose is 0.03ml/pound. A 10-pound cat only needs 0.3ml, not a whole 0.5ml. The largest Frontline Plus vial contains 4.0ml, that's enough to treat 133 pounds' worth of cats.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:46 pm

Ana,

thank you for posting that. it is much cheaper to go that route. I treated my little darlings last year. it seemed to have worked.
however, there didn't seem to be a bad flea season last year.

I still have those pills for Carrie and Jerry, but, really afraid to use them. the vet claimed they are safe. :shrug:

DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:48 pm

Capstar terrifies me. Years ago, a friend of mine treated her cats with that (this was when it first came out) and inside of 10 minutes, the fleas were jumping off the cats and dying in mid-air. Within the next year, several of those cats ended up dying from "unknown" causes. She had the vet perform a necropsy on one of them, and the he said the internal organs were basically mummified. Was it the Capstar? Who knows? But I'm surely not willing to take a chance on MY babies that it was.

I try to keep fleas to a minimum with natural means, but as last resort, I'll use FrontlinePlus - but only as needed. I refuse to use it year-round, as is recommended.This is just my opinion, but if it's capable of poisoning and killing the fleas, continued application on my furr-kids may eventually poison and kill them, too.

In addition to ridding your raccoon of the fleas, you'll need to treat his living space, bed and blankets, etc, as 'infested', too, and treat those areas with insect killer specifically for fleas, or he'll end up getting reinfested. DON'T DO THIS with your raccoon (or any other pets) in the house. Remove them, treat the areas, and return your animals to the house as the directions on the product recommend.

Good luck. Flea infestations are a b*tch!

Oh, and if your buddy isn't feeling any better and still not eating, he really MUST be seen by a vet ASAP. Raccoons are like toddlers: they put everything and anything in their mouths. Could be he ingested something you aren't aware of (we can't watch them 24/7!) that could have sickened him.
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
SneakyT

Postby SneakyT » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:49 am

Chemicals might be harmful to pets, so they should be used only in case of emergency. It's better to take preventive measures to avoid flea infestation. But there are also a lot of natural remedies to get rid of fleas. Decoctions of chamomile, wormwood, or tansy will do no harm to the animal. Pinewood sawdust repels fleas as well. You can also bath your pet using coal-tar or laundry soap. One can find other traditional and chemical methods of killing those insects here. Hope it will come in handy.
TerryK

Postby TerryK » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:51 am

I always take measures not only to treat my pet, but I also do everything to ensure that the house/garden area is free of them and other insects.
Because during the summer months the sugar-loving wasps and bees become a major problem around the house and without effective control they are a major danger because:

Cause painful stings and in certain cases even death;
Wasp Nests: Wasps left untreated will form nests around home and can become very aggressive;
Allergic Reactions: A lot people are allergic to wasps and these reactions can be deadly;
Bee Hive Removal – it is important to remove these unwanted pest from the source.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:43 am

Had fleas here no matter what I did till I started using revolution. The fennec is allergic to fleas so I had to do something so finally made the change from frontline.

I had a big wasp nest right by the front door. I realized I hadn't noticed them till then so figured they were no real threat. It was actually sort of sad when they left because they tore it apart first. Maybe it got too hot for them in that location. But I can see it possibly being a bigger issue with animals that eat outside. I did have some gang up on me over a smoothy in a park one day in CA. I freaked out and left the drink for them and left the park, lol. Never actually been stung by one but always had a fear of them. We had ground wasps in WA growing up and I was always convinced I'd step on a nest and they would swarm and kill me :D Obviously I'm doing better since I didn't knock down the nest by the door out of fear this time but I'd still be creeped out if they came at me aggressively like those did at the park.

PS: that was a bit off topic to start talking about wasps but it got my interest anyway
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:35 pm

maybe I should not speak too soon. but, I have not any flea or tick issues in a long time.
however, for the ticks, I have guineas. they will eat the ticks. I would assume they will eat the fleas :shrug:

I put coconut oil on my dogs and raccoons. for some odd reason, none of my animals have had fleas or ticks.
I think the coconut oil keeps the fleas and ticks off off. :shrug: (maybe it is too slippery for them :lol: )

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”