my racccons

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: my racccons

Postby pat » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:16 pm

Ana wrote:It was such a rough year for you. :( Thank goodness coons (and people) are so resilient and adaptable.
Are you going to the swap this year officially?

so far, I plan on going. I already made reservations in berlin ohio. I really need a few days to myself.
are you going? I see no 4 raccoon for you :lol:
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Ana

Postby Ana » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:56 pm

Been thinking about it, but not sure how the dates will work out, hopefully we'll make it.
Thinking about checking in on Jude's breeder, to see if anything has changed in her life, last
year she was fairly certain she was done for good.

I wanted to make you a big wood box to consolidate your litter pans, but now that we don't
have a truck anymore, there's no way to deliver it! Think you could get Marco to swing by if
we put one together? It would make the room look cleaner, litter easier to manage, and give
more walking space!
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:04 pm

Ana,

I think I have her phone number, I will look at her b.o.s and see if it is on there. will Pm to you.
will look a little later, I have a bunch of stuff to do right now.

I hope you can go to mt hope. It was certainly nice to hang out with you and mike the last time.

I am unclear on the wooden box. you mean to put the cement mixing pans in?
I was almost thinking of putting a double decker for litter pans to free up some space.
but, that would be a bit difficult.

I can pick up the wooden box with gary's truck. Usually when Marco comes over, he has his regualar car.
he brings his suv when he picks up chicken food for me.

Could you give me more details on the wooden box? do you have one? if so, send me some pics. how big?

geez, your great ideas are just endless :lol:

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:10 pm

Aaw. Your raccoons are so cute! That toy is very good for enrichment, I wish it wasn't discontinued or unavailable. It would be great for all species, imo. Your babies seem spoiled, haha.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:24 am

Ana, I, too, would be extremely interested in the wooden box for litter pans. Are they elevated? My ol' body screams at me nearly every time I squat or kneel down to clean litter pans that are on the floor. It would be ever so helpful to have them elevated and all I'd have to do is bend over to clean them. But maybe I'm not visualizing your concept? And if elevated, will my spoiled toonies continue to use them??

Photos would be awesome!! icon-smile
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
Ana

Postby Ana » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:33 pm

So it's basically a big box, constructed from plywood, painted with Rustoleum brand super scrubbable kid's paint (non toxic).
Every 6 months or so, I repaint it. The top is hinged for cleaning. Because the litter pan itself is a bit tall, little ones can
struggle to get in there, and I put alternative pans down when there's a baby (babies WANT to use the latrine, because they
can smell that it's the place the other raccoons are going potty, this is all the 'litter training' they will usually need). The con
is I didn't put little soft 'feet' on it, and it scratched up the wood floor from being shifted around. They would absolutely be
fine with a few stairs, you could elevate it in all sorts of different ways, cinder blocks and ladders are the easiest I can think
of. We did it because having a litter pan in your living room is gross enough, without having to SEE it, and see what awful
things go on in there. :lol: The boys seem to appreciate the privacy. Also the cats use it, and there's never been any
disagreements. The cats have a couple of other pan options, but everybody seems to prefer this, I presume because it's so
big, you can walk around and get comfortable. You'll want to choose your own dimensions based on the largest litter pan you
can tolerate. :lol: Also, in the back there's a little hinged piece of wood, we hide the scoopy in there, which speaking of, we've
gone through a LOT of scoops over the years, and this one -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BF ... UTF8&psc=1 is the winner.

When you go to replace your scoop, consider this one, cause it's strong and awesome and easy to clean. <3
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:10 pm

Ana,

Wow, you outdid yourself yet again. that box is a good idea. What type of litter pan do you have in it?
Is the pan hard to lift up? Wonder if a latch on a side panel would be easier to change the litter?

I ordered that latch board yesterday. I assume it is just a board. did you hang yours or just leave it lay on the floor?

I already have a couple poop scoopers. the problem is, when they pee, I have to change the litter.
I just use the regular litter. I am not sure if the clumping litter is good for raccoons. IDK

Ana

Postby Ana » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:26 pm

When they were little we had to use the equine pellets, after 1 year, the clumping litter, but ugh,
it's not perfect. I'm looking into other stuff all the time, but so far, nothing is feasible for cats and
coons to share. :/

I heard about somebody using rocks and water, I wonder if foxes would be into that. WAY cheaper
at least!
Kagney

Postby Kagney » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:06 am

Here is our box. The hub built it about a year and a half ago for the same reason you mentioned Ana, nobody likes looking at a litter box.
I always considered it just one of those necessary evils, but boy does a cover box make it more pleasant! This one is open on the bottom, so you can just lift it off to vacuum the rug and take out the box for thorough cleaning. I just use the door for daily scooping. It has a vent opening up near the top in the back, and a wide access door for Giz. I like that we have it close to another wall so that she has to enter and exit around a corner essentially, so it keeps the litter mostly on the utility rug underneath.
You can see the litter bucket to the side in the picture, I've been using the lightweight clumping litter for years and it seems to work really well. My only issue with... if I'm a little overdue for a total litter replacement Giz will notify me with "box paws" ... litter sticks to her feet and gets tracked everywhere. :roll: Daily scooping and regular total litter replacements make that easy to avoid though.
Attachments
box1.jpg
box3.jpg
box2.jpg
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:40 am

thank you Kagney for sharing that. I personally think the side would be easier to empty the litter box.

DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:40 pm

Lovely litter 'chests', Ana & Kagney! I may consider having hubby make one for the cats for in our house. One of our cats consistently pees out over the edge of the box. Having it contained would prevent this. But then again, she may then opt to not use the litter box at all. She's an odd cat - we call her Sybil because you never know which personality she's going to display at any given time. :shrug:

Since my toonie boyz live out in our horse barn, I wouldn't go to the trouble of the wooden box for theirs, but I'm still thinking elevated would be lovely. Will have to pose that concept to husband, see if he can come up with a structural plan.

And, Ana - thanks for sharing the pooper scooper link!! Teflon coated! Awesome idea, but does it truly prevent wet litter from sticking to it? If so, it's time for them to make a Teflon-coated litter box, too!!! :icon-wink: I'm going to soon need to replace the scooper for the toonie boyz - it cracked the other day when I was trying to dig out some stuck-fast litter, so its days are definitely numbered. I've added the teflon-coated scooper to my ever-increasing Amazon list. LOL

I just use the regular litter. I am not sure if the clumping litter is good for raccoons. IDK

Pat, other than when Dewey was a little tike, I've been using the clumping and so far, have not seen any health issues from it. I DO, however, mix sawdust in with it (2/3 litter, 1/3 sawdust) as it seems to help with the sticking-to-their-feet issue a lot better.
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”