Both messages are from me, I just thought I would share the ebates with everyone. been wanting to that awhile ago, but, just never got to it.
If you look at the link, you will see sybil's name on it.
Even though I might not post as much as I would like to, but, I do check this board a couple or more times a day.
The ebates is FREE, no money out of your pocket, only in your pocket. I have been using ebates for a long time, it is easy to use once you register. in fact, anytime you shop online, you will get a drop down message from ebates.
Trust me, it is NOT any type of scam.

Get money back when shopping online and at many stores from Ebates.............. most stores have different percentage rates back. (they usually deposit it in Paypal account.
if you did not sign up yet, please use the link below: (you will get an instant 10.00 for signing up. but, please use the link belowe.

https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

===================================================================================================
NOTICE THIS BOARD WILL BE DOWN FOR A LITTLE WHILE. NOT SURE WHEN. I NEED TO DO UPDATES ON IT. I WILL GIVE EVERYONE AMPLE TIME WHEN THIS WILL HAPPEN.

First time raccoon parent

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Stephynicks

First time raccoon parent

Postby Stephynicks » Tue May 23, 2017 12:16 am

I feel like I just had my first baby, no matter how much I read up about how to raise my little baby coon I'm scared I'm doing it wrong or will mess up! He's about 9 weeks and is a total ball of energy, he roughhouses with my dachsund and plays and nips with me, but I can't tell if he's bonding. He's pretty independent and doesn't treat me so much as a "mother figure", more just like "eh, you're here, I'll play with you I guess". It might be a stupid question, but is it normal for them to be so inaffectionate at such a young age? And should I be correcting his "play" biting?
IG: alfred_raccoon
Ana

Re: First time raccoon parent

Postby Ana » Tue May 23, 2017 12:35 am

Could be the influence of the dog, they seem to bond with dogs very well, which is great, as the dog will explain the rules of the house. :)

All my boys had a period of bitey rudeness and the like - your bub is teething right now, too, so that is a consideration. I tolerate a lot, some
people don't tolerate any. You decide what you're comfortable with.

You might want to push for more one-on-one time, and be sure to offer weird treats and toys often, so he always looks forward to seeing you!

Try not to worry, I'm sure you're doing great. :)
Stephynicks

Postby Stephynicks » Tue May 23, 2017 10:28 pm

Makes sense! I will try that, thanks !
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Thu May 25, 2017 6:17 am

At 9 weeks he's probably off the bottle but if not make feeding time a cuddle time. The worry I would have is that mostly they seem to get more independent as they age so you want to encourage him to relax with you now so it gets to be a habit. Hand feed him treats and groom him now so he gets used to being handled. Its great that he has your dog to play with. Don't allow him to bite you hard.
Stephynicks

Postby Stephynicks » Thu May 25, 2017 12:10 pm

The problem I'm finding is that he's always at 100% energy. I've tried clipping and filing his little claws when he gets sleepy but he just turns on full energy right away and wants to play. I can't seem to get him to cuddle, he just wants to rough house! How can I get him to relax a little? Also he's really resistant to eating food, he wants to stick to the bottle. Argh he's so stubborn with everything !
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Thu May 25, 2017 1:13 pm

Don't worry about the bottle, he will quit when he's ready, just keep offering him other food. I never play rough with my babies, if they want to play rough they can play with the dog. I don't know if it will work with a baby but try scratching him behind the ears, his throat, and at the base of his tail. My coons will lay next to me as long as I keep scratching.
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Thu May 25, 2017 1:24 pm

You may not want to try to wean him just yet. Honestly, the more bottle time you have with him, the deeper the bond, IMO. I've always allowed my raccoons to wean themselves. He'll tell you when he doesn't want the bottle anymore. 9 weeks is really early - again IMO. It's been my experience that they wean themselves anywhere from 3-6 months. As you introduce different foods to him, he'll begin to depend less and less on that bottle. Where you might bottle feed him 4 times a day now, in a bit, that will drop to 3X a day, then to 2, then to 1. At some point, he'll look at you with disdain when you approach with a bottle and proclaim himself to be a BIG boy now, don't need no stinkin' bottle! LOL

Having foodstuff as 'play items' will encourage him to seek them out and eat them more readily. Try hiding cheerios in paper egg cartons, or dog treat balls. He'll love ripping the egg carton apart, trying to get to them. Use your imagination! They LOVE searching and finding stuff!!

Cuddle time will decrease as he ages, but should return once he's an adult. They're like any other mammal: When very young, they depend so much on you; as they get to be older youth, then they may be indifferent to you, want to test their independence; but then once they settle in to adult-hood, there they are again, ready to be your cuddle bug. Having the dog for him to play with is great, but it can also be a problem if he bonds more with the dog than he does with you.

If you plan to harness/leash train (which I REALLY wish I would have mine!!!!), you've got to do that as soon as possible. At 9 weeks, it may already be too late.
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
Ana

Postby Ana » Thu May 25, 2017 4:02 pm

LOL, remember Jude was on the bottle until he was 8 months old, for crying out loud. :lol:
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Thu May 25, 2017 4:09 pm

Ana wrote:LOL, remember Jude was on the bottle until he was 8 months old, for crying out loud. :lol:

Hahahaha! But some need the comfort and reassurance that the bottle provides. And what does it hurt? Not a damn thing! Heck, I sucked my thumb until I was almost 12. I gave that up, only to take up smoking cigarettes a year or 2 later. Should've stuck with my thumb!! :wall:
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
Stephynicks

Postby Stephynicks » Thu May 25, 2017 4:17 pm

Lol! Oh my goodness this is all such great advice, what would I do without the interwebs. I just started getting him used to his play pen (I had been taking him to work with me in a carrier...i don't think that could have continued much longer haha). Ok so, filed his nails and brushed him a bit today..no harsh bites so that's good! Bribed him to love me with some marshmallows, he was into that. I bought an XS harness, still too big but it stayed on him for a bit and we did a practice walk on the leash in my backyard. He even tolerated me putting a tiny shirt on him for a bit, hahaha. I'm feeling better about this!
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Thu May 25, 2017 4:24 pm

You'll do fine! Like anything else, it's a learning process. And when you hit the wall and can't figure it out, someone here will no doubt be able to get you through it!!
Dana

Ana

Postby Ana » Thu May 25, 2017 4:29 pm

Sounds like you're doing everything right, really. Try to enjoy this little period before he morphs into a Tasmanian devil. ♡
Stephynicks

Postby Stephynicks » Fri May 26, 2017 11:22 pm

He s already a little Tasmanian devil! Does it get worse?! Also, I put a litter box in the spot he likes to do his business in buuuuuut it seems like he just wants to use it as a sandbox to play in? Heeeelp haha
Ana

Postby Ana » Sat May 27, 2017 2:00 am

My baby is just turned eight weeks old and is reliably using litter pans full time. I've never had any trouble with litter, or done any
'Training', put any accidents in the pan and show it took him. Might want to do one litter pan per room for the first year if there's
any difficulty or issues quickly accessing the main pan. :)

First two years are gonna be hard. Being aware and prepared helps, and you're both those things! <3
Stephynicks

Postby Stephynicks » Sun May 28, 2017 7:41 pm

Man! My little guy is the "difficult child" haha. He started using the litter box, buuuuut also rolls around and plays in it. And then tracks his messes everywhere ! He's so independent and a little ball of energy. I can't imagine raising more than one at a time !

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”