PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Cool idea for coonie comfort!

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

linseylou

Re: Cool idea for coonie comfort!

Postby linseylou » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:20 pm

Hopefully it'll work that way, she loves to play with stuff, but doesn't really destroy anything on purpose yet. Just gets into everything imaginable lol. But she still chooses to come cuddle and suck our thumbs at bedtime and needs that to go to bed(only to wake up in the middle of the night and climb on everything until I get up and tell her she needs to stop lol)
You are forever responsible for what you've tamed, responsible pet ownership starts with you.
I share my life with 4 red foxes,2 raccoons, a couple human children, my hubby, dogs,and a snake
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:12 pm

Thanks for the review. I was sure the cushion wouldn't last, it was the rest that is important. They do like it though and that's important.
Ana

Postby Ana » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:24 pm

I've also shaded the outdoor playroom, and have found the lack of sun keeps it damp, and has allowed mushrooms to grow - gonna remove half the shading and hopefully it'll balance out.

You guys remember when we chopped down that willow tree and stuck the logs in there, back when Jude was a baby? One of the frigging logs TOOK ROOT and is in there pretending to be a willow tree!! Not sure what to do about it yet, feels wrong to mess with such a determined log, LOL!
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:25 am

Mushrooms! That's funny, but then again, maybe not. Not sure if your boys would try to eat them, and if they might get sick from them? I shouldn't have much problem with mushrooms because the enclosure is in a fairly protected place and gets TONS of afternoon sun. But if mushrooms do appear, just removing the shade for a day or two in sunny weather should take care of them.

As far as the willow tree sprouting, that doesn't surprise me. Willow can easily do that. I think your enclosure is up against your house? If so, and the willow is actually rooted, you probably ought to get it out of there. The roots can travel really far and could damage water/electric lines if close by and also destroy the foundation of your house. It sounds like a lovely idea to allow it to be in there for your boys to enjoy, but at what cost? :shrug:
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:47 am

I finally had a chance to get some good video of Dewey & Bobby playing in their pod. For those of you considering one of these pods, I HIGHLY recommend them. This thing has been up in their enclosure for well over a month, and for as rough as my boyz are with it, it still has absolutely no tears, rip or even puncture holes in it. And my guys love it. In typical coonie fashion, they tend to lose interest in things over time, but they play in this each and every day. Best $20 I ever spent on something for them!

https://youtu.be/VfRkgDlEZqg

https://youtu.be/DHzbKRx18Tk

https://youtu.be/dbQTYImGN_g

We also added the shade cloth (that I referenced earlier in this thread) over their outside enclosure over the weekend, and so far, so good. No rips or tears in that, either. And now that it's cooler out there, they seem to be utilizing that area a lot more than they had before.
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:25 pm

That's great they like the pod so much.
Ana

Postby Ana » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:34 pm

LOL, I love the "I AM KING OF CASTLE" game, hilarious!
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:49 pm

The "King" role constantly changes! Ana, you really need to get one of these things for your kids. HOURS of fun! (And not just for them, but for you, too! :lol: )
Dana

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:50 am

Dana,

I got one of the pods, but, didn't hang it yet. I have some chain outside, not sure if it is heavy enough.
I need someone to hang it for me. also, I am thinking of putting it on top of their bunk bed. I would like to move the bed bunk to free up some room.
I can't move it myself, so I have to wait for help. I also would like to put some type of better floor down. not sure what yet.
I have a couple samples of vinyl floor down. I showed it to Mike (Ana's husband) he thinks it might be too soft. it is kind of spongy.
gary thinks the raccoons will tear it up :shrug: I also want to replace the cement board and paint it with the paint Ana suggested.
it only has primer on it, so it is very hard to clean.

bobby and dewey sure seem to love their pod. sure was a super great idea you come up with.

george has lost some weight. so glad of that. he still needs to lose more, but, something is better than nothing.

thank you for sharing your videos. I found it very helpful.I also need to get gary to cut me a round piece of wood for the bottom.
I thought you told me that is what you did.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:31 am

Pat, I'm not sure what you mean about putting it on top of their bunk bed?? Please explain more.

As far as not even bothering to use the inflatable pillow that came with the pod and using a round piece of plywood instead: You could TRY the inflatable, but if your guys are like mine, it'll have a short life expectancy. :roll: But the pod DOES need to have SOMEthing in the bottom of it to keep it expanded, or else it will hang there shapeless and your guys will have a tough time getting in it.

As far as the weight of the chain: as long the pod isn't suspended OFF of the floor, doubtful you need anything too heavy. However, if you're going to expect the chain to support any massive amount of weight (ie your round raccoons :lol: ) then, yes, you'll want to use a heavier type of chain. Because mine rests on the floor when they're in it, all the chain does on mine, basically, is keep it suspended upright.
Dana

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:17 pm

I thought of putting it on the top bunk bed, but, suspend it from the ceiling, but, as you mentioned, let it rest on the top bunk.
I will get a picture of the chain I am talking about. will do it later.
what do you use to hang the pod from the ceiling?

If need be, I will buy whatever chain works. I could put it outside on their shelve too. there is a wood overhang to anchor the chain.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:58 pm

OK, I see what you were thinking on the bunk bed concept. Have you gotten the thing out of the package yet? This pod is very long - guessing over 5' - so unless you have EXTREMELY high ceilings, I don't think hanging it above the bunk bed would work.

As I mentioned previously to you, to hang from wood, such as I would suspect your porch is made from, just get a heavy-duty round screw eye and embed it into a wood crosspiece, then use chain of enough length to suspend it to the level you desire - that is IF you even NEED chain. Depending on the height of your porch, you very well may not need chain and instead attach directly via the caribiner that came with the pod to attach to the eye bolt.

Again, I highly suggest you don't raise it off the floor much at all. Because it swings, it's VERY difficult for them to enter without it swaying away from them.
Dana

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”