Both messages are from me, I just thought I would share the ebates with everyone. been wanting to that awhile ago, but, just never got to it.
If you look at the link, you will see sybil's name on it.
Even though I might not post as much as I would like to, but, I do check this board a couple or more times a day.
The ebates is FREE, no money out of your pocket, only in your pocket. I have been using ebates for a long time, it is easy to use once you register. in fact, anytime you shop online, you will get a drop down message from ebates.
Trust me, it is NOT any type of scam.

Get money back when shopping online and at many stores from Ebates.............. most stores have different percentage rates back. (they usually deposit it in Paypal account.
if you did not sign up yet, please use the link below: (you will get an instant 10.00 for signing up. but, please use the link belowe.

https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

===================================================================================================
NOTICE THIS BOARD WILL BE DOWN FOR A LITTLE WHILE. NOT SURE WHEN. I NEED TO DO UPDATES ON IT. I WILL GIVE EVERYONE AMPLE TIME WHEN THIS WILL HAPPEN.

Quote About Raccoons

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Sparttan117

Quote About Raccoons

Postby Sparttan117 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:56 pm

I remember someone once commenting that raccoons are some of the most compassionate pets that they had and would actually listen to what you say. Can anyone confirm this and give me a quote to use now?

Edit: All facts ofc and same thing about raccoons getting along well with other pets if possible.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Quote About Raccoons

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:21 pm

A quote to use how?
Sparttan117

Postby Sparttan117 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:54 pm

The quote would probably be in a PowerPoint presentation about the legitimacy of pet raccoons (as long as they're kept responsibly ofc).
Ana

Postby Ana » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:40 pm

They can be very compassionate, and "in tune" with their humans. They're capable of a great deal of thoughtfulness, loyalty and love. :)
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:05 pm

I have never thought of coons as being empathic or compassionate. If you want/need either of those- get a dog. Coons operate on their own agenda, you either get with their program or get left behind.
Sparttan117

Postby Sparttan117 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:41 pm

Ana wrote:They're capable of a great deal of thoughtfulness, loyalty and love. :)

Trefoil wrote:I have never thought of coons as being empathic or compassionate. If you want/need either of those- get a dog.

These responses seem very different. Is there anything that we could deduce about the difference (age, climate, diet, age when spayed/neutered, daily time spent with them (avg), subspecies (last one might be hard to determine though))?
Ana

Postby Ana » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:50 am

It is really down to personality. I have a creep, a simpleton, and a drama queen. It's perhaps why
I hesitate to recommend them as companions - you receive no indicators of what sort of individual
you'll be dealing with when they mature.

Jude will check on anyone that's hurt or sad, and stay with you, just holding hands, or grooming you.

The other two would never think of that. But they're also sweet in they're own ways, hugs, sharing, playing, but compassionate, not particularly. :)
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:22 am

Trefoil wrote:I have never thought of coons as being empathic or compassionate. If you want/need either of those- get a dog. Coons operate on their own agenda, you either get with their program or get left behind.

Trefoil summed it up succinctly, for sure. I am 100% in agreement with her statement!!

When I had some surgery done a year and a half ago, I was told by my surgeon to stay away from my raccoon for 2 weeks because of the chance of infection (bullsh*t) or that he may play too rough and cause me to rip stitches. I, of course, did not listen to my doctor, mainly because she knew nothing about raccoons, and also because I'm pretty hard-headed. :wall: Five days post surgery, I finally went to visit with my bub, and it SEEMED he sensed something, as he was extremely loving and careful about how he interacted with me. He remained that way for a week or two until I was nearly back to my old self. Was it possible he sensed he needed to behave in that manner? I don't know. Probably not - just another case of anthropomorphism, no doubt. Honestly, I think he was just having a more sedate and loving period in his personality, and it happened to fall at the same time as my recuperation. He was back to being the turd I know and love in no time at all. :lol:
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:33 pm

The difference is very likely in the personalities of the people who answered. Over the years I have had 15-20 pet coons ( yeah, I'm oollllddddd). and have loved each and every one of them for many different reasons. None of them have had the same personalities and differing degrees of , for lack of a better word, kindness. Bottom line- they were all predators, and couldn't afford the empathy that humans try to treasure. This hasn't been bred out of raccoons and because a % of pet coons are wild rescues probably never will be. I guess if I had to give one reason to love coons, its their honesty, I've never had a serious bite from a coon that didn't mean and intend to hurt. Yes I've had them get a little too earnest in play, but not a serious bite. I've never had a coon come to be petted and then attack me. They are honest about their intentions. when they are mad at you they aren't sneaky about it.
Totally off topic,but, you (sparttan) have posted about using a coon as a companion animal, which I sorta thought was great. I wanted to caution you, though, to be careful about labeling yourself with a perceived disability that may bite you later on.
Sparttan117

Postby Sparttan117 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:04 am

Trefoil wrote:Totally off topic,but, you (sparttan) have posted about using a coon as a companion animal, which I sorta thought was great. I wanted to caution you, though, to be careful about labeling yourself with a perceived disability that may bite you later on.

My philosophy is that everyone has something wrong with them. I haven't met anyone who doesn't exhibit at least something that could be considered a disability outside of people who are being professional. The only difference I can see between people with "disabilities" and those who don't is that the people with disabilities have a doctor who has signed a sheet of paper for them. Everyone has problems, and if we all have problems, then that just means people with problems are just people like anyone else.

Also, the companion animal idea is based on the fact that people who spend a good deal of time around their pets (including cats that don't care about them unless there's food involved) have measurably lower levels of stress hormones, and pretty much everyone in society is stressed out today, so a therapy animal would help the body calm down, which is actually very good for the body as a whole. While it is possible to have medications that reduce stress hormones, you're muss less likely to have an allergic reaction or overdose on cuteness than you are for pills :lol: .

Getting back to the topic, my presentation is today and I've decided against using quotes. I've also decided against saying the whole "raccoons listen to you" thing since it seems to be only true for some raccoons.
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:41 am

Good Luck

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”