Both messages are from me, I just thought I would share the ebates with everyone. been wanting to that awhile ago, but, just never got to it.
If you look at the link, you will see sybil's name on it.
Even though I might not post as much as I would like to, but, I do check this board a couple or more times a day.
The ebates is FREE, no money out of your pocket, only in your pocket. I have been using ebates for a long time, it is easy to use once you register. in fact, anytime you shop online, you will get a drop down message from ebates.
Trust me, it is NOT any type of scam.

Get money back when shopping online and at many stores from Ebates.............. most stores have different percentage rates back. (they usually deposit it in Paypal account.
if you did not sign up yet, please use the link below: (you will get an instant 10.00 for signing up. but, please use the link belowe.

https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

===================================================================================================
NOTICE THIS BOARD WILL BE DOWN FOR A LITTLE WHILE. NOT SURE WHEN. I NEED TO DO UPDATES ON IT. I WILL GIVE EVERYONE AMPLE TIME WHEN THIS WILL HAPPEN.

Anyone else having coat issues?

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Kagney

Anyone else having coat issues?

Postby Kagney » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:41 pm

Giz has been having a bad fur month. icon-sad

I know its normal for them to go through the "unfortunate" patchy phase during the change of seasons, and she's never been an exception there, but it just seems a little late for the spring shed. I mean, I'm in Florida! It hasn't been cold here for months! Could the fact that she is indoor-only have something to do with it? ...acclimated to the AC or something? :shrug:

Anyways, the poor dear is all patchy and has even developed dandruff. I have some coconut oil that I'm going to try on her coat, but I don't know how much good it will do and I'm not really sure how much to use.

Do you guys do anything special to help your little one's through bad-fur season?
AzureWolf

Re: Anyone else having coat issues?

Postby AzureWolf » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:23 pm

Not sure what the dose would be for her but her size is very close to my boss's two little Chihuahuas and she gives them one teaspoon of coconut oil drizzled over their food during mealtime for their allergies and hair shedding and just all-around General coat problems.

So you should be fine with a teaspoon at each feeding. If you get the paste light coconut oil in the jar you can scoop it out and put it in a small cup and microwave it for about six seconds and it'll turn to a Tru oil and you can just pour that over her crunchies. I hope that helps and I hope give this feeling better
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:30 pm

Kagney, I have found Vitamin E softgels are excellent for coat issues. The coconut oil is good, too, but in my experience, you can't beat the Vitamin E. My Bobby had a pretty scraggly coat when he came to me late last summer, and this spring, he was nearly bald on both of his flanks and also had horribly scaly skin there, too. I showed it to my vet when we did vaccinations and she recommended a med to kill mites. Being very adverse to using that type of thing except as last resort, I told her I truly believed I could fix it with Vitamin E. I didn't feel it was a mite issue. And I was right. Two months later, the scaly skin is gone, and the bald patches are growing in really nicely. And the rest of his coat is more luxurious, too! Plus, both my guys seem to love eating the softgels. I give them one per day, and usually the softgels are one of the first things they consume out of their food dish. Give it a try. It'll take a month or so to really see results, but I am sold on it. You can also puncture the softgels and apply the Vitamin E directly to the skin.

My dogs also get one tab per day, too, and everyone comments on how soft and nice their haircoats are. icon-smile
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:40 pm

Its 90 here and I'm still working on the butt mats, They won't let me near them with scissors and only take the pulling for a few minutes at a time, so it takes a while.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:40 pm

I put coconut oil on mine. as for eating it, mine love it. as do my dogs. when I rub it on my dogs or raccoons, the other animals will lick it off them :roll:
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den

Postby 5502 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:42 am

My Pandora had a clump where her tail starts the first Spring we had her. I was hoping it would grow off, occasionally I could cut a clip of it. However this year, she worked on it herself and it has come off. Now she has a little bald spot there and this Summer she is really shedding! Clumps daily! Good to hear this is happening other places. She's an inside girl but we take her out nightly when its cooler. I need to file her nails down badly. They have only been trimmed once when she had her "surgery" around five months old. Any suggestions? I see her trying to bite them daily.
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:18 am

Is Pandora OK with having you handle her feet? If so, just snip the ends off as you would a cat or dog - using pet nail clippers, of course. :icon-wink: Or you could try filing them down with emory boards or sand paper.

If she's disagreeable about that, offer her climbing opportunities using real tree limbs (or real trees, since you say she goes on nightly walks outside). When climbing up and down, they wear them some, plus they'll 'shed' the outer coating of their nail, like cats do, and that 'shortens' them. You could also try to wear them down by walking her on concrete or brick.

A thought: She may be biting at her nails not so much because they're long and bother her, but it could be something she does when bored or agitated or as a nervous tick, like some people bites their nails or twirl their hair when stressed. Maybe spend more time playing with her or engaged in whatever activity she prefers. If you don't already have an animal buddy for her, maybe you can consider getting her a pet - a tolerant cat or dog or another raccoon? Singles get bored really quickly, and having another animal to engage with is not only healthy physically, but promotes good mental health, too. Even though I really didn't want two raccoons, adding the 2nd one was EXTREMELY beneficial to my first one's well-being, and I'm so glad I did it.
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”