PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Raccoon and cat food?

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

linseylou

Raccoon and cat food?

Postby linseylou » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:06 pm

I have been told not to feed cat food because it can cause kidney disease in raccoons, but a friend of mine was told to feed a dog and cat food mix.... Is cat food bad for raccoons? I feed dog kibble along with chicken, eggs, other meats, fruits, veggies, etc. But he wanted me to get the correct info on catfood for him so that he doesn't accidentally make his baby sick. I've told him what I feed and he feeds very similar other than adding catfood
You are forever responsible for what you've tamed, responsible pet ownership starts with you.
I share my life with 4 red foxes,2 raccoons, a couple human children, my hubby, dogs,and a snake
Ana

Re: Raccoon and cat food?

Postby Ana » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:32 pm

High quality cat food is fine for the occasional meal for a wild coon, but it's way too much protein for a house coon.
Kibble may promote obesity, even the highest quality, and should be more of a treat than a daily offering. If you can
stick to poultry, fish, crayfish, shellfish, vegetables, a little fruit, seeds, beans, berries, eggs, whatever is seasonally
fresh where you are. Kibble is so many calories and doesn't provide all the nutrients a coon body wants, and they can
wind up with sundry cravings for unhealthy stuff. Today my kids had turkey, sunflower seeds, whole peaches, melon,
rhubarb, blueberries and 1c of low cal dog kibble from the brand "Natural Balance", which was recommended by fancy
Zoologist. ♡
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:11 am

I agree about the kibbles and cat food. personally, mine gets very little of either one not every day, maybe every other day or longer..
my dogs would never never eat any kibble. I bought a bag of merrick dog food. they will eat that. but, they only get a little bit of it,
same as my raccoon. I gave my raccoons a little bit of cat temptations the other day, they went nuts over it. however it is just an occasional treat.

it is hard to find foods they like that are good for them. I will say my two youngest ones so far are not overweight, well, jerry might be a little,
but, not near as bad as george(my oldest)

yesterday, gary and marco cleaned out sybil's (my bear) enclosure. I helped a little, I looked over at the fox/raccoon tower, I seen two heads popping up through the top :roll: I have a zapper, I just hit the zapper (from a distance) it scared them down. gary had to do a quick repair on the roof last night. carrie and jerry has been up in the top tower for about a week :roll: they finally come down today.

back to food, I try not to feed mine alot. sometimes I will put a few treats like marshmelows or marrow bones in a lunch bag. it is kept seperate from from the food bowl. this way, they have to hunt for it. yep, it makes a mess with the bags, but, not bad except picking up the dirty bags the next day.

don't know if this will help anyone, but, this is what I feed mine little darlings:
boiled or baked chicken (cut small enough so they can pick it up with their hand, sometimes I grind it)
grapes
very little dog food, and not everyday..
eggs
marsmellows
a little bit of cereal
a few small snack foods
prunes for geroge (he loves them)
I am going to try the corn on the cob today for them.

fish is actually a good source for raccoons, Larry (now deceased) loved fish. I tried fish for my 3, none will eat it :roll:
it was not cooked, maybe if I cooked it, and cut it up, they would eat it :shrug: fish grosses me out to even see it, so I don't think I could cook it.
I will get gary to cook it. gary sometimes brings home fresh fish for sybil. sometimes pull some our pond.

I use to put minnows in Larry's (now deceased) swimming pan.. he loved it. I tried it with carrie and jerry when they were younger, but, didn't seem to bother. now that they are older, I might try again. I know jerry and carrie plays in swimming pan. I only have a large cement pan for their water play. someday I would like to get something bigger, just not sure what. ideas are welcome.

george, my oldest is still too fat. he is very inactive. he did lose a little weight, but not much.

I think out of all the animal species, raccoons seem to be the hardest to control their weight.
since raccoons are scavengers, it might be better to have small portions scattered. however, it can be hard to control with
with more than one raccoon.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:32 pm

I have been told not to feed cat food because it can cause kidney disease in raccoons, but a friend of mine was told to feed a dog and cat food mix.... Is cat food bad for raccoons? I feed dog kibble along with chicken, eggs, other meats, fruits, veggies, etc. But he wanted me to get the correct info on catfood for him so that he doesn't accidentally make his baby sick. I've told him what I feed and he feeds very similar other than adding catfood

Cat food is OK for occasional feeding, but not as a consistent diet. All that I've read or researched says that cat food is too high in protein and may cause kidney damage. You can feed a little bit of it now and again, as a treat, but it's best to feed dog kibble if a kibble diet is what you want to do.
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
linseylou

Postby linseylou » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:17 pm

Pat I'm trying to feed more your way as far as not as much kibble and more real food, but atm I'm still working on weaning my stubborn girl completely lol. Right now she gets a bit more kibble than i would like, but she also gets chicken and eggs, fruits and veggies(which she rarely eats because she's a picky boob),and occasionally a marshmallow or some fruit loops(as treats).i also recently got several smallish bags of dehydrated raw chicken kibble that I've been giving the animals as more generous treats(foxes and Ness).

Dana I think that's what I've heard too. I don't want to feed all kibble, but as picky as Ness is right now kibble is one consistent thing I can get her to eat other than her milk and junk food that she doesn't need.....

Thanks guys, I've found that it's allot harder to get a raccoon to eat healthy.... my foxes like what's healthy for them lol
You are forever responsible for what you've tamed, responsible pet ownership starts with you.
I share my life with 4 red foxes,2 raccoons, a couple human children, my hubby, dogs,and a snake
Ana

Postby Ana » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:44 pm

Everybody is eating cucumber seeds today. No idea what that's about, but they have to drill holes
in the cukes, and it looks like effort, so I'm all for it! :D
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:49 pm

linseylou wrote:Pat I'm trying to feed more your way as far as not as much kibble and more real food, but atm I'm still working on weaning my stubborn girl completely lol. Right now she gets a bit more kibble than i would like, but she also gets chicken and eggs, fruits and veggies(which she rarely eats because she's a picky boob),and occasionally a marshmallow or some fruit loops(as treats).i also recently got several smallish bags of dehydrated raw chicken kibble that I've been giving the animals as more generous treats(foxes and Ness). [quote}

Thanks guys, I've found that it's allot harder to get a raccoon to eat healthy.... my foxes like what's healthy for them lol

I agree with Dana about the cat food. very little of it and not every day.

can you try mixing the chicken with the kibble, then each day reduce the kibble down?

have you ever tried the marrow bones? all my animals go nuts over them. however, I try and keep their intake on them down as much as I can.
if they had their way, they would eat only the marrow bones. https://www.chewy.com/pedigree-mini-mar ... lsrc=aw.ds

tractor supply sells them also if you have one nearby. I think walmart does too, but, might be more money and don't trust too much of their animal food there. a while ago, a friend of mine bought a bag of dog food there, when he opened up, there was a dead rat in it :shock:

keep us updated on your progress.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
linseylou

Postby linseylou » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:41 pm

She's a mess, definitely the pickiest animal I've ever owned. If I mix her food to try and trick her it just makes her mad.... last time we tried to trick her we put some fruit baby food in her milk and not only would she not drink it, she got mad and bit hubby for trying to give it to her, and before that I would mix a couple fruit loops in her kibble to try to convince her to eat it and she dumped it all out and went through out picking out the fruit loops lol.i keep rotating foods and hope as she gets older she'll decide to eat more variety. I am starting to limit her kibble more and wean her off the milk so hopefully she'll adjust soon
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:32 pm

LOL, yep, raccoons are definitely the junk food junkies of the animal kingdom. Mine would eat ONLY junk food, if it were up to them. Bobby gets about 1/4 cup boiled chicken every evening, along with his other foods, but Dewey won't touch chicken. I've started cutting them back on kibble, and am pushing more fruits, now that they're in season, in an effort to try to curb the battle of the bulge. Best if you never introduce junk food because once they know it exists, it's all downhill from there... I've tried fish, shrimp, clams, oysters - nah, other than playing with it a bit, they show no desire to consume it. I've heard of other raccoons who like beef or pork, but I've never tried it with mine. Just seems like an unnatural thing for them to consume - it's not like they form a pack and bring down a cow or a pig now and again in nature, right? LOL But then, marshmallows don't grow wild out in nature, either, and they have no problem eating THEM, so who knows?!?!

Linseylou, have you offered Nessie nuts yet? Peanuts in the shell are favorites, as well as sunflower seeds and pistachios. I think they have fun getting the nuts out of the shell, so eating the contents is bonus. Mine aren't in the house, so the mess of the shells is inconsequential.
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
linseylou

Postby linseylou » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:57 pm

I have given her almonds which she seems to really like, I'll have to try peanuts in the shell and stone of the others next time I go shopping :)
AshleyLs

Postby AshleyLs » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:35 pm

Pat, how did your raccoons like corn on the cob? That is a great idea, I'm going to try that with mine! Right now, my raccooon (12 weeks old) favorite food out of everything I've been trying out with him are bananas and grapes. :)
Ana

Postby Ana » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:27 am

Here's tonight's dinner for 3, Senora ate separately.
Watermelon, cabbage, kiwi, cherries, grapes, low cal kibble and chicken+quinoa

They used to enjoy the cabbage raw, now it's got to be steamed. :roll:
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:56 pm

Senora ate separately

Ana, did you add another raccoon to your family??
Dana

Ana

Postby Ana » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:45 pm

Oh wow, I never made her an introductory post! Wanna know why?
THERE'S FOUR RACCOONS RUNNING AMOK IN MY HOUSE!!!

:lol:
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:08 pm

THERE'S FOUR RACCOONS RUNNING AMOK IN MY HOUSE!!!

Well, since the first 3 are neutered males, it's not THEIR fault the 4th one is living there, now IS it?!?! LMAO Reminds me of a comic I saw where the woman is handing her head to her doctor and saying, "Please check this, I'm thinking of buying another horse," but exchange 'raccoon' for 'horse'. You're nuts, but I am jealous!! I'd like to have more, but husband won't think to keenly of the idea.

You MUST take just a few minutes from the insanity and take&post some pics - PLEASE!! And what do the boys think?? With the name of Senora, I'm guessing this one is a girl??
Dana

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”