PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Getting a Mountain Coatimundi

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Peacefulward

Getting a Mountain Coatimundi

Postby Peacefulward » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:18 am

After a year of research, talking to owners, reading books and articles...And weeks of preparation, I've finally decided to purchase a mountain coatimundi from Frazier Farms Exotics.
Here's a pic the breeder sent me of him.

I'm almost done setting up his outodor enclosure, it's currently 5x5 welded wire with an enclosed top and bottom, but will be upgraded very very very soon to 10x10 and possibly even larger if my family allows it. Ideally I'd like 20x20.

Since my backyard is a very large area of forest, I can gather some nice and sturdy tree limbs to place inside the enclosure for him to climb on. For heating during winter, per suggestion I'll be making a nesting box with a farrowing heat pad placed inside with a layer of sand over it. I was a bit skeptical about the heating part, but apparently it works as people use it and have success. If for whatever reason it doesn't work, I can move him inside.

I have loads of enrichment ideas already, also working on making a sand box for him to dig in and hanging feeder toys. I know how important daily enrichment and interaction is for coatis so I'm going all out haha, if he's fond of water I'll get him a mini pool too.

I'm super excited, but super nervous too. I want to make sure everything goes well. It feels like I'm adopting a baby. :stars:
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Getting a Mountain Coatimundi

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:10 pm

Congrats. Will probably be a lot like having a baby, but will be more fun.
linseylou

Postby linseylou » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:39 pm

Congrats! It sounds like you're prepared and chose a great breeder☺ I wish you the best of luck with your new baby
You are forever responsible for what you've tamed, responsible pet ownership starts with you.
I share my life with 4 red foxes,2 raccoons, a couple human children, my hubby, dogs,and a snake
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:41 pm

When's the little guy coming home?
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:07 pm

minervasden wrote:When's the little guy coming home?

He'll be here this Monday. :)
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:14 pm

I'm so excited for you!
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:19 pm

Awww, she soo cute. Congratulations
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:41 pm

He's in transport now and will be here in a few hours!

Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:50 pm

Is he home yet? name? I've found that with coons, at least baby blankets work great. You can get them at 2nd hand stores reasonably also cloth diapers and a sling. Is he still on the bottle?
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:22 pm

Alright, he's here.

After waking up he became terrified of me, as to be expected I suppose. It'll take a few days for him to get used to his new home. He's too small to be outside in the enclosure, so he's indoors for now. Free roam of my coati-proofed bathroom with a kennel for sleeping. He seems very stressed out, haven't heard about any of this from people I've talked to, everyone I've talked to said their coatis were very calm... I guess he's just stressed, but I'm not sure what else I can do to make him more comfortable. Other than what I've been doing, keeping him in an dimly lit and quiet room with hiding places.

Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:37 pm

Gave him a stuffed animal and he's completely fine now. I really wasn't expecting such a drastic change, I guess if really is that important to give them some company to snuggle with!

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:50 pm

Glad the stuffed animal helped. Guess he's just more sensitive than most.
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:39 am

He's much calmer today, running around, playing, and eating all his food. Perfectly healthy too.

I gave him a banana slice with his food this morning. At first he didn't know what to make of it, sitting and licking it, but eventually he figured out how to eat it.

One thing that has surprised me is his odor. Everyone said they smell really musky, and their poop is like ferret poop. he does have a musky scent, but to me it kinda smells like the odors puppies have. It's not gross at all but it's pretty strong, my room smells like coati haha. And his poop doesn't seem to have an odor at all. Maybe he'll develop a stronger smell when he's older.

He's really shy so I've been hand feeding him and just letting him relax and get used to me. He loves stuffed animals, his favorite is a rabbit I had as a kid. So far he isn't trying to tear them up, but I made sure there weren't any small pieces he could get offf of them.

Like all baby animals, he's very sleepy. :)

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:31 am

congratulations on your coati. he is a cutie pie.

hope all goes well for you. is he still on the bottle?
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:16 pm

pat wrote:congratulations on your coati. he is a cutie pie.

hope all goes well for you. is he still on the bottle?

Thanks! He's completely weaned.

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”