ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Getting a Mountain Coatimundi

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Getting a Mountain Coatimundi

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:57 pm

Glad he's settling in. I'm sure he'll warm up, especially with hand feeding. I was really expecting Ikigai to be like that due to the trauma of being shipped but he was just like "I'm home, feed me!" Playing is great first step though.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:47 pm

most exotics bond easier when they are still on the bottle. however, your coati might bond with you now. he will need lots of attention from you.
I have faith in you, I know you will take good care of him.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:08 am

He's making great progress. Last night he started letting me pet his back, and he climbed up my arm and stuck his nose up my nostril (which actually hurt :lol:) and had fun checking out my hair.
He still doesn't like me picking him up, he shrinks back if I try to, so that will probably take a while. I'm a little concerned, because he's at the age where he's supposed to start harness training, and in order to take him out on walks and such he'll need to be harnessed.

It'll still be alright even if he never likes me picking him up, because I'm making an outdoor enclosure for him. I'll have to make it bigger than 10x10 if he's going to be out in it full time though.

I've been sitting with him for hours at a time, playing and petting him and such, until he falls asleep. Luckily I have lots of free time so I can do this all day.

I have been given the suggestion to put him back on the bottle, not as his staple diet but just to get him to bond with me more. I'll look into it more, but I think we're making good progress. And I love him to bits! icon-smile
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:06 am

sounds like you are making good progress. it takes time for a bottle broke raccoon or coati to get use to their owner.
I am not sure if putting him back on the bottle would make much difference. are you hand feeding him some treats or some of his food?
that would help too.

I don't know a lot about coatis, only that they are similar to raccoons, but, a little harder to raise.
sounds like you are doing a great job with him.

I would be a little concerned about taking him for a walk, mostly in public. there are too many people out there
that think we should not own these type of animals. I know in my state, mine must be kept in their enclosure.
I use to take my one fox for a walk awhile ago, but, only on my property.

I also would be concerned if someone approached your coati, and he would get scared and nip that person.

thank you for taking such good care of your coati. you are doing a wonderful job with him.

Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:37 am

pat wrote:sounds like you are making good progress. it takes time for a bottle broke raccoon or coati to get use to their owner.
I am not sure if putting him back on the bottle would make much difference. are you hand feeding him some treats or some of his food?
that would help too.

I don't know a lot about coatis, only that they are similar to raccoons, but, a little harder to raise.
sounds like you are doing a great job with him.

I would be a little concerned about taking him for a walk, mostly in public. there are too many people out there
that think we should not own these type of animals. I know in my state, mine must be kept in their enclosure.
I use to take my one fox for a walk awhile ago, but, only on my property.

I also would be concerned if someone approached your coati, and he would get scared and nip that person.

thank you for taking such good care of your coati. you are doing a wonderful job with him.

I live in a small semi-rural neighborhood, I never see anybody else going on walks. I think I'd be okay, but I'll be extremely cautious if I do go in walks with him and just not let other people approach him. :)

I'm setting up his actual enclosure now, since he's still a little young it'll be in my workshop (basically outdoor building but has heating and cooling) instead of outside. I think he'll enjoy it more than free roaming. It's 5x5 now but once he's a bit bigger I'll upgrade it to 10x10, and move everything outside again and get it set up once more. A lot of moving!

This means that I'll have to camp out in my workshop though, since I'm literally sticking with him all day long to get him used to me. :lol: I can't leave him alone.
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:38 pm

you should check your state's regulations. like I said, it only takes one person to complain.
the other issue that I am not sure of. if your coati got loose, would he think it is OK to roam :shrug:
However they know where their food is usually.

10x10 seems a little small, unless you plan on bringing him in your house once in awhile. However, building a bunch of shelves, tree stumps, enrichment, he might be OK.

my raccoons and foxes have a 10x20 enclosure with a tower they can climb. also my spare bedroom is set up for them.
they have bunk beds and love it.. (no mattress of course :lol: ) raccooons and I think coatis like to be high up, but, also down on the ground.

I am sure you will do whatever it takes to make your coati happy.

Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:12 pm

Pat - you're just no fun at all. My coons love destroying my mattresses.
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:18 pm

pat wrote:you should check your state's regulations. like I said, it only takes one person to complain.
the other issue that I am not sure of. if your coati got loose, would he think it is OK to roam :shrug:
However they know where their food is usually.

10x10 seems a little small, unless you plan on bringing him in your house once in awhile. However, building a bunch of shelves, tree stumps, enrichment, he might be OK.

my raccoons and foxes have a 10x20 enclosure with a tower they can climb. also my spare bedroom is set up for them.
they have bunk beds and love it.. (no mattress of course :lol: ) raccooons and I think coatis like to be high up, but, also down on the ground.

I am sure you will do whatever it takes to make your coati happy.

I heard that 10x10 would be a good sized enclosure as long as I take him out to play and provide enough enrichment. I could probably do a larger enclosure, maybe 10x20, I'll have to check out the ground of the area I plan on building it. :)

In the enclosure I plan on placing large tree limbs for climbing and having cement flooring with sand covering it. For enrichment I'll be changing it up a lot and have a lot in mind, but I won't bore you with everything. :lol:

Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:24 pm

He's doing so much better today. Now he'll let me play wrestle (gently, I don't let him bite) and pet him a lot more.

I'm impressed by this little guy! I thought it would take much longer.

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:46 pm

Glad all is going well now.
linseylou

Postby linseylou » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:53 pm

glad he's doing well, he's so adorable
All of Michael's animals are very well socialized and usually adjust very quickly from my experience
You are forever responsible for what you've tamed, responsible pet ownership starts with you.
I share my life with 4 red foxes,2 raccoons, a couple human children, my hubby, dogs,and a snake
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:25 am

I'm working on getting Vega used to me picking him up. When he's calm, I'll slowly pet him and when he stands on his hind legs I'll gently pick him up, for a split second at first so he doesn't freak out, then put him down and give him an itty bit of banana. It's working so far, longest I can hold him is 4 seconds but he's definitely getting used to it. In the short period of time that I've owned Vega, he's shown me how intelligent and crafty coatimundi are— and he's still a baby! Can't wait to see him grow.

Also, I do plan on neutering, I'm talking to the vet about it right now to decide what age would be best.

linseylou

Postby linseylou » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:01 am

If he's anything like my raccoon he may decide later that he doesn't want to be picked up anymore so don't stop working with him ever lol. I can still pick Ness up for a few minutes, but after that she throws herself back like a child who wants down lol... now she just loves to cuddle in my lap. We used to carry her everywhere and now she's "all grown up" and doesn't need mom or dad to carry her :/
You are forever responsible for what you've tamed, responsible pet ownership starts with you.
I share my life with 4 red foxes,2 raccoons, a couple human children, my hubby, dogs,and a snake
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:52 am

He's letting me pick him up now just fine, but doesn't really like it since he wants to play. :lol:

Gave him a bath today because he was sticky and smelly (probably peed and rolled around in it) and he did really well, wasn't scared of the water.

I also introduced him to a litter pan today, put it in his popping corner and he's been using it. Makes cleanup a lot easier, working on showing him to use it while he's free roaming. But his new indoor cage is coming tomorrow, it's 7 feet tall and 5 feet wide (it'll only work while he's a baby) so he won't be free roaming my bedroom anymore, gonna move him down to the workshop. The workshop has been coati-proofed (just moved everything out and made sure there were no holes or anything to escape from) so he'll be able to free roam and play there too after I set it up with some stuff to climb and play with. I'll still be down there with him all day long, I even moved a little sofa down there :lol:

It's been raining and all muddy so I haven't gotten to clear the area for his outdoor enclosure yet. I think I can do a 10x20 though!

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:00 pm

he is so adorable. You are doing a wonderful job.

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”