PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Raccoon biting !

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Noonoocar

Raccoon biting !

Postby Noonoocar » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:24 pm

Hi there . I have a question for experienced raccoon owners. We raised and released triplets 3 yrs ago and was the best experience of our lives. Never bit , were so affectionate.
We currently have a kit that's around 4 months old. He was a lone kit walking up the Hwy from where his family was killed. He was very affectionate the first couple months? Now ? The biting is horrendous ! Just laying on the couch or in bed he comes and attacks your head and face !
How do we curb this biting? The other boys we never ever dealt with this problem....kind of saddened to see this behaviour and needs to stop !
Ana

Re: Raccoon biting !

Postby Ana » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:25 pm

I've got four, and only one doesn't bite. Biting is absolutely normal, and to be expected, especially while they're teething. You can angrily snarl NO BITE when you're being hurt, and give the offender a time out of 1-3 minutes. He doesn't have a raccoon companion, so you are the playmate, you'll have to teach him not to bite so hard. Consider fostering a young dog with a good sturdy body and coat for play. :)
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:29 pm

I am a little confused at the age you got your raccoon. How old was the raccoon when you found him?
if he still needed to be bottle fed, you would have a better chance of working with him. otherwise, it might be more difficult.

some raccoons can have different personalities, just like people. However, I never had a biting problem with mine.
I have raised 6 (3 died when they got older) I still have 3.

I never had any biting problems. maybe I was lucky :shrug: except for my young male, but, he would sneak up on me and nip me on the back,
not hard, but, enough it didn't feel pleasant but, he was playing. . Everytime he did this, I would tap in the nose, and yell NO Bite. it didn't take him long to figure it out.

I don't know if you use your hand to play bite with your raccoon, if so, don't do it, use a stuffed animal.

basically, you just have to be Constance.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Cinder

Postby Cinder » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:54 am

Hi I'm the people mom of scooter and. Cinder both rescued raccoons Scooter was four days old when she was given to me. Next came cinder rescued out of a chimney. Cinder was still nursing. They are pals Scooter a girl. Cinder a boy. They have their own room in my house and a 10x10 ft cage out back. Complete with pool fan and a hollow tree that can be heated when it gets cold
I have another coon Itty Bitty she is almost eight years old. She has never bit me however her brother Spankey bit like a pit bull. He severed the tendion and the nerve bundle in my wrist. He only got mean when itty bitty came into season. I never had him neutered would that ha e helped? I love raccoons so much they are just the best. But I was in the hospital for 5 days with my wrist and I really need to know if I should have Cinders batteries removed. Any thoughts
Ana

Postby Ana » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:12 am

Every coon who isn't going to have the opportunity to breed should be neutered or spayed by six months. The seasonal aggression, the frustration of their natural urges, it's the right thing to do
for you and them. ♡
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:12 am

Ana wrote:Every coon who isn't going to have the opportunity to breed should be neutered or spayed by six months. The seasonal aggression, the frustration of their natural urges, it's the right thing to do
for you and them. ♡

I totally agree. at the very latest November, depending on the raccoons disposition. I had geroge neurtered in November, but, he was also a good guy.
on another note, which I just remember, george was born about the 3rd week in June. where march-april is generally when most raccoons are born
However, all my other ones were fixed by 6-7 months.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”