PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

First time Raccoon parents...failing...

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Kathryn318

First time Raccoon parents...failing...

Postby Kathryn318 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:31 pm

Im new to this page! This is my first post. We have a female raccoon whos around 4-5 months. We got her when she was 3-4 weeks old and bottle fed her. When she was being bottle fed she was very affectionate and cuddly. Now she is a terror. We used to be able to put a collar/harness on her no problem but now she attacks us if we even try. If we try to pick her up most of the time she growls and bites us. She drew blood twice. I understand the play bites but not being aggressive like this. Weve never been rough with her. I dont really know how to correct this or what I can do at all. Please help!!
Ana

Re: First time Raccoon parents...failing...

Postby Ana » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:17 pm

Females can be more emotional and reactive. The first two years with any coon involve a lot of
you being educated by them in regards to what they like and will tolerate. If she's attacking the collar and harness, it's because she doesn't like it, doesn't want it. I've got four and nobody has ever tolerated a harness or collar, goodness knows we've tried!

You're gonna take a lot of bites over the next two years. My girl ignores NO, and has to be given an isolation time out for 2-3 minutes. Sometimes she decides to just go to bed during that time, which leads me to believe that many of these aggressive moments where she's relentlessly biting, or biting too hard, it's due to being hungry, or thirsty, or overstimulated and needing a nap. Time out, ice cubes, healthy snacks, straws in their wrappers, these things can help you get through the toddler stage. Also make sure you've got teething toys - Senora has been losing her baby teeth the last few weeks and good grief she's a devil! :lol:
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:56 am

Kathryn318

welcome.

as ana mentioned, females are a little more difficult to work with.
it is important to have her spayed, don't know if you did or plan to.

I have a female albino (my first female) she is not as friendly as the males are.
however, she never bit me. I have found if you sit down closer to her level she is more friendly and wants petted.
when I lay on the bed, she will come up on the bed and lay next to me to be petted. however, if I approach her when I am standing,
she don't like that. she don't bite, but, runs from me :roll:

you could try sitting on the floor, offer her a treat. it might take time, mine go nuts over marrow bones.
as far a collar goes, it is very difficult to to keep a collar or harness on a raccoon, they are escape artists :lol:
awhile ago, I thought I seen a harness designed for raccoons.

do you cage her at all? if so, I don't recommend it for long term. it will only bring out aggression.
if you have to leave her home alone, I recommend a enclosure with enrichment, shelves. they like to be high up, but, sometimes down on the ground.

also, make sure she has lots of toys to play with. stuffed animals are good too.

keep us updated on your progress.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Dovemaiden

Postby Dovemaiden » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:16 pm

I am new to the board (Dovemaiden) and I have the same problem.
I am a second-time raccoon parent; the first was when I was 12, my raccoon was a female, too.
Mitzi was nippy, and we didn't know to treat her differently than the dogs and cats. There was very limited information back them, the year was 1972. No computers to use for information. At about 10 months she went ballistic one night in the bathroom, pooped all over the WALLs up high: she stood on the shelves, sort of like an angry monkey. REAL biting, not playing. We also saw saw blood on the feces, but no cuts; I think now she was in heat and we didn't know it. She took off for a week, brought back a boyfriend, and promptly killed about 20 chickens. I finally caught her in a a cage, and we moved her to a very remote woods by a river. She had gone native.
Ana

Postby Ana » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:42 pm

Seasonal frustration can lead to aggression and neurosis. A coon who isn't going to be able to
carry out their natural breeding urges ought to be spayed. Additionally, confinement breeds neurosis, depression, aggression - all unpredictable in their manifestations.

Spay, don't cage, and do the best you can! But never feel like you've failed if you're being bitten. Biting is completely natural and normal. ♡♡♡
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:15 pm

OMG Pat- I've had coons forever and never made the connection between being on their level being important. I really am slow. Ana - thank you for pointing out the confinement- aggression problem. I worry every time I read about the "cages" new coon & coati owners post about/ I really think that a caged coon is not a pet or a companion, its a caged animal. That doesn't mean they shouldn't have an outside enclosure to play in as long as you have a safe way to get them to & from it. Kathryn most adult coons don't like being picked up. Chloe took a shower with me this morning, she was trying to climb up me but when I tried to pick her up she growled. If I had been taking a bath she would have let me hold her. About the nasties- she will need to be spayed and just keep correcting her when she tries to bite, I'm a yeller so that's what I do when upset with their behavior. If its any help- the rottenest brat I ever had as a baby ended up being the best behaved and cuddly adult I ever had, but he was just nasty to me as a baby, as in sneak up to me while I was on the computer and bite-hard- and then of course run to my daughter for her to protect him. My daughter also regularly clipped his nails while he was sleeping, something I've never managed/ I've never been able to harness an adult coon- but maybe I just gave up too easily?
Anybody have a suggestion for coon proof q-tip storage?
Ana

Postby Ana » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:56 pm

LOL, qtips are a favorite target for every one of mine. You could try a gun safe, Fort Knox, or a helicopter for keeping them secure, but no promises! :lol: :lol:

Biting is a big part of coon interaction and communication. Jude grabs my wrist in his mouth and puts my hand where he wants it. He also bites to punish me if I brush him too hard, or too much. Is extremely rare for any of them to break skin. I've noticed the adult aversion to being picked up, and taken extra care to carry them around at every opportunity- even with careful, consistent effort, Corso cannot tolerate being picked up unless he's very determined to reach something, or frightened of something I can take him away from. The others do enjoy being carried around, and also riding in the front of a shopping cart on their butts like human children. :lol:
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:35 am

Trefoil,
actually, I figured that out with my foxes. they are way more timid than than raccoons are. with my foxes, I started out by laying on the floor, with my arm reached out and an egg in my hand. wouldn't give it to them till they got it from my hand. with daryl (my fox) he finally would take it from my hand, but, I would pet him on the nose, thereafter, he expected the pet on his nose when I hand fed him. he eventually turned out pretty friendly for a fox. of course sharing ice cream with me, he enjoyed that.

to be honest, after raising sybil my bear, all the other animals were a breeze to work with. :lol:

thats great your raccoons will take a shower with you. Larry Lee use to. but, he would be done before me, then go play in the toliet :roll:
many times, I was pulling stuff out the toilet. I had to and still do keep the bathroom door closed when I am not in their.

On caged raccoons, it makes me sick to see that. people that do that should never have any animal.

Ana and I came across a woman that that caged her raccoon 23 hours :twisted:
ana was kind enough to rescue it, then later do a soft release. this raccoon was impossible to keep.

I can't remember if I have that in my care sheet about caging a raccoon, I need to revise it. but, will make sure I have it in there.

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:04 am

Ana wrote:LOL, qtips are a favorite target for every one of mine. You could try a gun safe, Fort Knox, or a helicopter for keeping them secure, but no promises! :lol: :lol:

Biting is a big part of coon interaction and communication. Jude grabs my wrist in his mouth and puts my hand where he wants it. He also bites to punish me if I brush him too hard, or too much. Is extremely rare for any of them to break skin. I've noticed the adult aversion to being picked up, and taken extra care to carry them around at every opportunity- even with careful, consistent effort, Corso cannot tolerate being picked up unless he's very determined to reach something, or frightened of something I can take him away from. The others do enjoy being carried around, and also riding in the front of a shopping cart on their butts like human children. :lol:

I know how super friendly your little darlings are. they are so bonded to you and mike. I remember (I think it was Jude) when mike walked outside,
he carried on and insisted on being on his dad's shoulder :lol: guess, it is more roomer than your shoulder :lol:

I do not let my raccoons even show their teeth at me. sometimes when I pet george, he turns his head with his mouth open, not that he planned on biting, but, I would tell him to close his mouth. none of mine has ever put their teeth on me, I will not let that happen.
with george, when I had to put him in his room at night, I use to have to double scruff him, push him to the ground, then carry him.
I don't do that anymore though. he is too heavy. he did lose some weight though, but, still needs to lose more.

I need to get george to the vets soon. he is starting to limp. I am worried he might have bone cancer. that is what billy bob (my blond raccoon)
died from icon-sad geroge is 6 years old already.

Jerry is a doll baby. when I let them out of their room in the morning, Jerry goes in the hall cupboard to sleep, and carrie comes in my room,
and sleeps on top of a tall dresser in a carrier I have :roll:

Jerry is very friendly, he has never put his teeth on me, he licks my hand only. He is so so much like Larry Lee. I can approach him at any time,
and has never showed his teeth. I am so very happy with Jerry and glad I got him. Thank you Ana for finding them.

The guy that got the 3rd brother of Jerry and Charb is doing a wonderful job with him. he has actually trained him to do tricks.
They take very good care of him. Wish I could say the same thing about Carries sisters :icon-frown:

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”