PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Deworming Raccoons

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Sparttan117

Deworming Raccoons

Postby Sparttan117 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:10 pm

I found a study backed by the CDC that confirms that deworming raccoons works! According to https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/20/12/14-0977_article , when baits that were filled with an oral dewormer were distributed within an area that had wild raccoons, the raccoons' feces had far fewer cases (18% of feces clumps contaminated before baiting, 3% after a year of baiting) of baylisascaris procyonis (raccoon roundworm). The 3% of feces clumps that still had roundworm might have come from raccoons who just didn't find the baits and eat them. Either way, the dewormer (pyrantel pamoate) has been tested by the CDC and is confirmed to kill roundworm.

Pyrantel pamoate is an over the counter drug, but as with any drug, consult a vet before actually giving it to your raccoons. Vets are more qualified to give this advice than someone on the internet (like me).
DeweysMom

Re: Deworming Raccoons

Postby DeweysMom » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:29 pm

Now if ONLY we could get someone to confirm that the rabies vaccine works on raccoons (and skunk, fox, etc)!!!!
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
Sparttan117

Re: Deworming Raccoons

Postby Sparttan117 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:57 pm

DeweysMom wrote:Now if ONLY we could get someone to confirm that the rabies vaccine works on raccoons (and skunk, fox, etc)!!!!

Maybe one day, but we are making progress!

Seriously though, it gets annoying when I go on Reddit and every post that mentions raccoons has someone saying "Rabies! Rabies! Ur gonna get rabies!" as if it's like some sort of venom that all raccoons have.

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”