PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

New raccoon person needs vaccine help!

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Dovemaiden

New raccoon person needs vaccine help!

Postby Dovemaiden » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:11 pm

Hello, I'm Dovemaiden. I just joined your forum. My husband and I live in Utah.
We do raptor rehabilitation, and other wild birds as well.
Occasionally we get in beavers, deer, marmots, baby bears before they are sent to the bear center in Idaho, etc.
Our newest rehab is a raccoon which is why I joined, to learn what to do.
We have stated we don't take in skunks, raccoons or foxes, but Wildlife Resources asked if we would rehab this one, so we have him.
It's been over 40 years since I raised a raccoon (it was a female, back when I lived in NJ).
I see there are lots of new things to learn, so I'm excited about that.
We got the little guy in late May; he had his eyes open about two days.
He fell into a huge pile of soot in someone's chimney.
The ashes were so badly inhaled and swallowed that he stopped breathing and the people that rescued him gave him mouth-to-mouth.
They had him two days, then he opened his eyes. Then he was delivered to us.
He had some respiratory issues. His mouth was so full of ashes the first few days that every time he drank the bottle, the nipple came out black from his mouth.
The entire inside of his mouth was black, and he eliminated ashes in his stool for over 24 hours after we had him.
But he has seemed to recover nicely.
I'd like to get him his vaccinations, and the vet came to see him two days ago, but was unsure what manufacturer's had safe vaccines, so he is checking with some folks, and asked me to check here as well.
I am confused because I saw that Solvay is a recommended brand, but has been incorporated into Abbott Labs or perhaps Merial; and that was one of the rabies shots.
Does anyone know which rabies vaccine we need?
It needs to be a killed one, right?
Fort Dodge was recommended, but I was given differing information on who owns it now; one site said it was taken over by Boehringer Ingelheim; another said its now owned by Pfizer.
I saw the Duramune 5 way of Ft. Dodge was recommended for canine distemper.

What is in the Duramune 5 way and is it a killed vaccine?
Has anyone here used that, or the the Fel-o-vac LVKIII for panleukopenia?

Sorry so many questions:( Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
He is a great little guy, litter box trained immediately. He is terrified of the cats, but loves the dogs and they love him.
What I noticed is that he is a lot different in temperament than the female I had as a kid.
If he was a puppy, I'd call him the "shy" one of the litter; certainly not bold, and scared of any new situations.
We've been trying to help him through that.
I don't want him to grow up scared of new things.
I wonder too, if raccoons can be successfully released to the wild after extensive human handling.
We are trying to limit it, but he does need contact with living beings, like he would have in a litter and with his mom, and so I let him spend a lot of time with our old Lab. She adores him.
Thank you for listening.
Dovemaiden
Ana

Re: New raccoon person needs vaccine help!

Postby Ana » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:28 pm

I have a new vet who has done extensive research into raccoon vaccines in the last six months. I'm going to email her about this and get an answer we can all use. Thank you for helping this baby. ♡
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:26 am

welcome dovemaiden.

here is a list of approved vaccines for some exotics, raccoons are on that list.
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=12752

never hurts to get more info from Ana and others also. I can ask my vet too.

thats great you are a rehab, I'll bet that is quite interesting to rehab so many different animals.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:10 am

I typically follow the protocol laid out by the AZA (Association of Zoos and Aquariums). You can find the recommended list of vaccines on page 37 of the PDF found here:

https://www.aza.org/assets/2332/procyonidcaremanual2010r.pdf
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”