Both messages are from me, I just thought I would share the ebates with everyone. been wanting to that awhile ago, but, just never got to it.
If you look at the link, you will see sybil's name on it.
Even though I might not post as much as I would like to, but, I do check this board a couple or more times a day.
The ebates is FREE, no money out of your pocket, only in your pocket. I have been using ebates for a long time, it is easy to use once you register. in fact, anytime you shop online, you will get a drop down message from ebates.
Trust me, it is NOT any type of scam.

Get money back when shopping online and at many stores from Ebates.............. most stores have different percentage rates back. (they usually deposit it in Paypal account.
if you did not sign up yet, please use the link below: (you will get an instant 10.00 for signing up. but, please use the link belowe.

https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

===================================================================================================
NOTICE THIS BOARD WILL BE DOWN FOR A LITTLE WHILE. NOT SURE WHEN. I NEED TO DO UPDATES ON IT. I WILL GIVE EVERYONE AMPLE TIME WHEN THIS WILL HAPPEN.

Raccoons vs Coatimundi

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Peacefulward

Raccoons vs Coatimundi

Postby Peacefulward » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:06 pm

I see coatimundi compared with kinkajous a lot, but never raccoons.

How do raccoons differ in behavior from coatis? Are they more independent, aggressive, etc?

A lot of the criticism I hear about coatis is their tendency to become aggressive when adults, but I've spoken to a lot of owners who say it depends on a lot of things (mainly whether they have proper enclosures and enrichment). Apparently the people who keep them completely indoors with large parrot cages have the most problems.
Do raccoons also share this?

In your opinion, do you think raccoons "are better" than coatis? Do you think one is harder to care for and handle than the other? And if so explain why. icon-smile
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
Trefoil

Re: Raccoons vs Coatimundi

Postby Trefoil » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:33 am

I can't help with the comparison because I've never had a coati. But the aggression with coons, IMO its the cages that are a problem. You cannot cage an animal and expect a pet.
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:30 pm

I definitely agree with the social part. Vega grooms me, brings me food, follows me around the house, etc.

Vega enjoys (lightly) nipping my dogs from behind then running away. He does this to certain people in my family too, and it’s alwaus on the back side of your shin. I don’t think it’s him being territorial or agressive or anything, he’s not displaying and defensive or aggressive postures or vocalizations, just him trying to instigate play. Or maybe just being mean, who knows. :lol:
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:51 am

Trefoil wrote:I can't help with the comparison because I've never had a coati. But the aggression with coons, IMO its the cages that are a problem. You cannot cage an animal and expect a pet.

I totally agree about the cage issue. that is the worse thing anyone can do with any animal.
Last year, I sold two raccoons to someone. I asked to see pictures of them later.
I was shocked to see they were in a bird cage :roll: Needless to say, I made sure I told this person, sadly, I was ignored.

On the coati's, never had one either. however. after speaking with people that has or had coati's did say, they are more aggressive than raccoons.
however, I don't think it stands true for all coatis. :shrug:

I personally think raccoons are easier to raise than most coati's. again, never had one personally. could be the way they were cared for :shrug:
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:00 pm

Maxy wrote:Excuse me, your coati "brings your food" ?

Like really? I can't imagine mine would do it.

Yep, I’m not sure if he’s bringing me gifts or just leaving/caching his food with me because he thinks it’s “safe here”. He’ll bring apple slices or other bad goodies until my lap, drop them, and do something else.

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”