ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Counter surfing

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Kathryn318

Counter surfing

Postby Kathryn318 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:24 pm

Is there any way to make/train Meeko, our raccoon, stop climbing on the counters?? Shes driving me nuts!
Trefoil

Re: Counter surfing

Postby Trefoil » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:21 pm

I've never managed it But pet supplies sell a mat to keep dogs off the sofa? And a friend of mine had a dog that wouldn't stay off her bed when she was gone so she covered it in balloons and when the dog jumped on her bed and broke the balloon(s) it scared her. That worked for the dog. My daughter used mouse traps with varying success. Good luck
Ana

Postby Ana » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:40 pm

I think the counter surfing while you are within earshot could be curbed though
teaching "DOWN", but while you're away or sleeping, no. My partner made a custom
door and closed off the kitchen - they're only allowed in there with supervision. If it is
truly IMPOSSIBLE to close the kitchen off, you'll have to start locking down cupboards,
appliances, trash, everything. The kitchen is the biggest challenge.
Kathryn318

Postby Kathryn318 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:17 am

how do you teach down? I say it everytime i pick her up and put her back on the ground or hear her climbing up there but she never listens. I wish there was a way to close it off but theres not. She doesnt really get into anything or open up cabnets, just likes to be up high i guess. (she has plenty of other places to be up high.) Maybe she can smell the food we last cooked or something, we clean it right after we cook so im not sure what to do. She gets in the sink and i dont want her sticking her hand down the disposal or breaking a glass if it happens to be up there.
Ana

Postby Ana » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:33 pm

Corso became a danger to himself and everybody else by turning in the hot water faucet at 3am, not knowing how to turn it back off, it was such a disaster. And of course the hot water frightened him into knocking everything off the counters.

I taught down by being really mad, yelling NO. DOWN! and physically moving them. They only respect it if they are absolutely certain I can come and physically remove them. And even then it's like 50/50! LOL.
Kathryn318

Postby Kathryn318 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:58 pm

oh yeah, I do that and it never sticks and doesnt listen haha
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:45 am

Mine listen to NO really well. They even know what it means- wait until I'm out of sight and then do whatever they want.
Juska

Postby Juska » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:19 am

You could try one of those motion-activated things that spray an aerosol can (they make them for air fresheners originally). So it makes a hissing noise if they go past it, maybe it'll scare them off the counter 'cause it'll go off every time even when you aren't there. They sell them specifically for this purpose at some pet supply stores now, but you could probably just get a cheaper one that's made for air freshening and just point it the other way so they don't get sprayed. The pet ones are just compressed air I think.

I can attest that this sound is very frightening when you're not expecting it, haha. Scares the heck outta me. :lol:

Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:43 am

you need to have a loud voice if they don't listen to your first command. I have a loud mouth, so when I yell, everyone runs :lol:
now, they are at the point, I can say no in a normal voice (whatever they are doing wrong) they listen.

I don't know how your kitchen is set up. but, is it possible to put a wooden folding door to the kitchen? you could also put a latch on it so they can't open it.

I use to let my first raccoon have access in the kitchen. he would always open the cupboards and the fridge.
Larry(my first raccoon) was raised with my first fox. both were bonded. they were quite the team.
Larry would open the fridge pull out the eggs for my fox. I went in and seen broken eggs all over the floor.
After that, I kept the kitchen door closed.

However, try juska's idea first and see if that helps.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”