Both messages are from me, I just thought I would share the ebates with everyone. been wanting to that awhile ago, but, just never got to it.
If you look at the link, you will see sybil's name on it.
Even though I might not post as much as I would like to, but, I do check this board a couple or more times a day.
The ebates is FREE, no money out of your pocket, only in your pocket. I have been using ebates for a long time, it is easy to use once you register. in fact, anytime you shop online, you will get a drop down message from ebates.
Trust me, it is NOT any type of scam.

Get money back when shopping online and at many stores from Ebates.............. most stores have different percentage rates back. (they usually deposit it in Paypal account.
if you did not sign up yet, please use the link below: (you will get an instant 10.00 for signing up. but, please use the link below.
also, when you use ebates, you should go there first, then select the store you want shop online. this will ensure you get paid. (however, as I mentioned, there should be a drop down menu at the top also)

https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

===================================================================================================
NOTICE THIS BOARD WILL BE DOWN FOR A LITTLE WHILE. NOT SURE WHEN. I NEED TO DO UPDATES ON IT. I WILL GIVE EVERYONE AMPLE TIME WHEN THIS WILL HAPPEN.

Outside Enclosures

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Deweylee17

Outside Enclosures

Postby Deweylee17 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:35 am

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone here has built an outside enclosure for their raccoons?
As of right now our baby (5 Months) has the run of the house when she is not sleeping, but I would like her to get some fresh air and have a nice 10'x10' or 12'x12' outside enclosure she could use. I am not a real good carpenter but if someone has built one maybe they could share their experience?

Thank You!
Juska

Re: Outside Enclosures

Postby Juska » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:52 am

Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Deweylee17

Postby Deweylee17 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:10 am

Thank You So Much!
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:30 am

you will need to put fencing at the bottom also. and of course top. if there is something you can use to put on top for shade would be helpful.
raccoons like to be high up, but sometimes be on ground.

my brats have their own room also, I have bunk beds in there for them. found the bunk beds free. look on craigs list.
they love them them. I have a ladder for them to get to the top, along with stuff they can sleep in.
for the bottom, I have carrier with a blanket, sometimes they sleep in there too. (if your enclosure is has a roof on it,
guess, you could put bunk beds in the enclosure, if that is what you want to consider.

for the bunk beds, I use cement board. I stupidly put primer on the cement boards , but, never got a chance to put paint it.
I finally got the correct paint (rust-o-leum) for it, so now I need to clean the cement boards, then paint it.
Ana told me about it, that is what she uses for her bunk beds. In fact, I need to replace some shelves in their enclosure.
I will paint them also with rust-oleum.

when I get a chance I will get a picture of their room or bunk beds. Ana has pictures of hers.

also, if you can build something that mocks a cupboard, your raccoon will like it. I have a cupboard in my hallway, I use to keep sheets in it.
(note: I said Use to) :lol: My first raccoon Larry (deceased now) threw everything out of it, and took it over. After he died, I thought, well,
maybe I can have my cupboard back. I was wrong, the current male I have now, took over the cupboard.
the cupboard has folding doors, so, yep, a raccoon can open it. the other two raccoons don't bother with cupboard.
my female albino likes to come in my room where I have a tall dresser. I end up putting a carrier up there for her and some steps to get to it :roll:

Also, I have dog cots. size medium. got them from Amazon. my raccoons have one in their room, I got them another one, but, didn't get a chance to put it together. of course I have to put a blanket on the cot for them :roll:
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:15 pm

I used 1" x 2" fencing for mine. Top and bottom. It works really well if you put it around the window to their room or a room they use, then all you have to do is open the window to give them access to outside safely.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:12 am

Trefoil wrote:I used 1" x 2" fencing for mine. Top and bottom. It works really well if you put it around the window to their room or a room they use, then all you have to do is open the window to give them access to outside safely.

your set up would be easier than cutting a hole in the all with a doggie door like I did.
however, with the doggie door, I have some barriers around the doggie door for in the winter. (lessens the winter cold)
is your window high? if so, how do they get outside?

Do your kids go in their enclosure much? mine are in and out. since I have foxes with my raccoons, it works out.
If I don't want the foxes in the house, I just close the doggie door.

thank you for sharing your set up, it helps when coon owners share their experience and enclosure. gives everyone (including me) ideas.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Deweylee17

Postby Deweylee17 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:57 pm

Thank You all for the great ideas! I am going to start (trying) to build something this weekend.
Another question maybe some of you have had experience with? Is there anyway to keep my baby girl from chewing the carpet?
She loves to go upstairs and chew the carpet (And padding) around my bedroom door.
She also loves to pull the air vents up out of the floor and stick her head in them.
I am afraid shes going to get stuck or worse get deeper into the air duct system.
I knew she was going to be full of mischief but WOW!
Again Thanks everyone!
Ana

Postby Ana » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:22 pm

We've covered the air vents with wood boxes that are screwed into the walls and floors. Tried a lot of different stuff that failed before going to this extreme. If you're referring to the edges of the carpeting.... you can try some bitter apple spray, but if the draw is textural, it might not be easily resolved. We removed our carpeting and put down tub area rugs.

Its stuff like this that lead to me getting more raccoons, because it was SO arduous and expensive to secure the house for just one, it seemed wasteful to only have one! :lol: :lol:
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:34 pm

Either screw the vents down or use Ana's solution. She will go into the ducts if she gains access. For the carpet at the threshold you might try covering it with a metal threshold that extends out a foot or so. It will need to extend under the door so there's no edge for her to catch.
Deweylee17

Postby Deweylee17 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:22 pm

Great ideas! Thank You

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”