Vega Thread (Pics, Updates, etc.)

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Vega Thread (Pics, Updates, etc.)

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:49 pm

The nose thing is totally normal for them. They also love to stick their nose in your mouth and sniff. "Coati nose blows"
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:39 pm

Vega is still an incredibly picky eater. He only wants to eat sweet things (fruits), bugs, or his dog food. He won't touch vegetables or anything else, not even junk food like crackers or cereal. An amusing thing he does is only eat the flesh of apple slices I bring him, he leaves the skin behind since it isn't sweet. :lol:

He's also gotten a lot better about walking on the harness, although loud noises spook him into climbing back onto my shoulder. He's not a fan of open spaces like fields, he wants me to let him on my shoulder in those types of places, but I think that's normal. I'll have to acclimate him to it.

He's getting bigger, still no changes in behavior, acts like a big baby still. It's weird, usually they've grown out of this stuff by now. I wonder if he's a little slow on maturing? He acts the same as when I first got him, no food aggression, takes his toys and food into my lap, follows me around everywhere and will cry for me if he's scared, lets me handle him and put harnesses and sweaters on without struggle, etc... :shrug:
He's about 9 pounds. He's getting neutered next week (appointment was earlier but kept getting moved back) so I hope everything goes well. I'll have to ask the vet about his behavior too, just to make sure he isn't sick or anything.
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:50 pm

Vega is growing! Still super clingy and will cry for me if I'm more than 5 feet away from him.

He's doing great with his harness and leash. He loves meeting people (although I don't let them pet him, just to be safe) and going outside. I'm considering getting him a companion so that he's never alone, coatis are so social, he absolutely hates being alone for any amount of time so it's heartbreaking. I was told by other owners that I shouldn't need to expand his 10x10 outdoor enclosure even if I have 2 since they're out with me 90% of the time... I might do it anyways though, it'll give them more room.

He's going to get neutered on the 8th, 2 days. Had to delay it a few times due to being busy. I hope everything goes well. icon-sad

Also have to check what insects they shouldn't eat. We have centipedes and millipedes that get into his enclosure, and he'll snap them up, but will burp a lot after and have bad breath. And he ate a leopard slug, which gave him loose stool. I don't want him to be eating anything that's bad for him.
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:41 pm

Dropped off at the vet today, he'll be staying overnight. I was surprised, he wasn't nervous at all in the car or at the vet clinic. He got to meet people (most of which had never seen a coati) and had a lot of fun. I also got to meet a red fox (pearl color morph I think?) and 2 raccoons.... Naughty people keeping them illegally, haha. They were really cool, the fox was beautiful.

The lady I was talking to before said I could come a couple times a week to shadow her work and help out. I'm pretty excited over that, I'll get to meet all sorts of new exotics! :mrgreen:

Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:36 am

Vega's been hiccuping a lot lately, usually after he drinks water. It's kind of weird but the vet said he was healthy. Maybe he just swallows his water wrong? icon_confused.gif

Sometimes he'll tremble after waking up too, as if he's cold. But only after waking up. He'll do this if it's not chilly out too, or if he's in my room. :icon-frown:
I'm probably just worrying other nothing, but I'll give my vet a call soon just to be safe.

In other events, Vega already weighs 15 pounds! He doesn't feel that heavy to me at all, I would have guessed he weighed around 8 pounds.
He's still the same as he was as a baby, super attached to me and hates me being more than a few feet away. Resource guards some toys he really loves but not often, didn't guard food. Brings his toys and treats into my lap. If I'm gone for a while he's stressed and won't play with any toys or enrichment devices I leave for him, he just wants me. So I have to keep him with me all day, which isn't too bad. :lol:

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:07 pm

Body temp drops while sleeping so try to make sure where he sleeps is nice and warm. Warm for a tropical animal is warmer than you are used too keeping it inside. Pua would be shivery when she woke up when younger even 75 or so try to keep it 78 or more but if you can't then he may need a bit of heat in his sleep spot.

Also maybe try making sure he heats something before going to bed so he has energy in him to burn for heat.

As for hiccuping try elevating the bowl
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:47 pm

Lots of interesting stuff happened this week.

Took Vega on a hike, my water bottle leaked so we didn’t have any water and had to turn around halfway to go home. When we got home Vega guzzled water from his water bowl, and must have drank too much too fast, because a few seconds later he sat down and started making almost inaudible rasping noises and shaking. I thought he was having trouble breathing so I picked him up and laid him in my lap to rub his throat, but then he puked up all of the water he had just drank, all over me! He felt better afterward. He’s never guzzled water like that before, must have been just as thirsty as I was.

I also got bit for the first time, which was an interesting experience! We found a discarded candy bar on our hike, and Vega started gobbling it down— so I panicked and grabbed it from his mouth, which is obviously the stupidest thing I could have done. Naturally, he protected his food and chomped down on my finger, but he did let me take the bar.
I didn’t have anything to trade or distract him with though. I’m reflecting on my mistake, thinking about what I could have done; I’ve come to the conclusion that I should wear a waist band/pack with treats or things to trade him with at all times. Luckily Vega didn’t go crazy on my hand or bite down hard enough to need stitches... He’s such a good boy. I would rather be bitten than have him be sick from eating garbage though!

It’s an experience I’m not mad about at all (I mean why would I be? It was my fault not his) and it was very educational. :mrgreen:

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:55 pm

I'm glad you learned from the experience and see it in a positive light. :) Sorry you got bit though. Having a pack with treats on hand would be a great idea. I bought a pack for my foxes that I keep treats and the training clicker in.

Gross about the throwing up. Sounds like he just drank way too much way too fast. Poor little fella had an upset tummy.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:56 pm

Vega’s gotten really heavy, can’t carry him with one arm anymore.

Still acts the same as he always has, he’s a big baby. I’m going to start clicker training him soon, would like to see if I can get him to come when called, move to a target, or do some basic tricks. I’ve never tried anything like that though so it’ll probably take a really long time.

He outgrew his harness so hasn’t been out on walks third last 3 days while I’m waiting for his new one to arrive.

Its been way too cold for him to stay out overnight, but we hang out in his enclosure on warmer days. He loves being outside. I got a thermostat in his heated dog house and it stays 70 degrees in there, so during the day he can have fun for a while before coming back inside.

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:48 pm

Aaaw, the babiy's not a baby anymore. :) I'm really glad everything has worked out for you two. He sounds like a very spoiled coati!
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:29 pm

Aw he's a big boy now. Training can be fun. I taught Pua to come to a special squeaker(only worked inside though), follow a target, and pull up a rope for a treat in a basket. Aneaters aren't as trainable as a smarter critter like a coati though so you could do a lot with him.
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:40 pm

Unless coatis are know to be especially apt to have problems with salmonella, I wouldn't worry about it too much. As long as you keep him healthy, he is as likely to catch something from you as you are from him. He sounds like a good boy. My coons like to stick their noses up my nose too. I think he will be happier spending his time with you and using his outdoor pen as a playpen, but you will have to coati proof you aquarium really well, it will be easier to have that and your computer in a room he isn't allowed in. If he's like my coons you will need a lock on the door,neither Chloe or Skipper have trouble opening doors.
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:21 pm

Been forever since I last gave an update!

Vega is doing great still. He's dialed down on the coati nose blowing, but he still likes to bring his food into my lap or onto my shoulder to eat, and he's a very messy eater. :lol:

He prefers to be indoors sometimes, and outdoors other times. He's very responsive to my voice, and doesn't wander, so he can be allowed to hang out on our back porch and dig in flower pots or sunbathe. He loves doing that.

He's a picky eater. He likes raspberries, strawberries, grapes (sparingly), chicken, turkey, egg, blueberries, sugar snap peas, and other sweets like mini marshmallows, which he very rarely gets as a training reward. He doesn't like things that aren't sweet, like bell peppers or green beans, or any melons. I'd like to get him to eat vegetables, but it's not too big of a deal. He also eats a lot of insects, like mealworms, and likes going on hikes to tear apart rotting logs for termites.

Vega also still takes to the harness perfectly, and is great in the car too- in his carrier, he curls up and goes to sleep within minutes. He also doesn't mind being picked up, or having any part of his body touched or restrained. He's such a great coati, I'm really lucky. icon-smile

Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:06 pm

Thanks for the update. He sounds like such a good boy.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:17 pm

Great to get an update on the cutie. It sounds like he's growing up into a fine young coati. :) I think you're doing a great job raising him. He couldn't have a better owner.

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”