NOTICE:

THIS BOARD WILL BE DOWN FOR A LITTLE WHILE. NOT SURE WHEN. I NEED TO DO UPDATES ON IT.
I WILL GIVE EVERYONE AMPLE TIME WHEN THIS WILL HAPPEN.

IT COULD TAKE ANYWHERE FROM AN HOUR OR MORE TO A DAY. LOTS OF WORK INVOLVED IN IT.
I MIGHT CHANGE THE THEME TOO. SO IF YOU COME ON WITH A DIFFERENT LOOK, YOU ARE AT THE RIGHT PLACE....LOL

Vega Thread (Pics, Updates, etc.)

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Peacefulward

Vega Thread (Pics, Updates, etc.)

Postby Peacefulward » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:42 am

I decided to make a separate thread to post all of the pics and videos I have of Vega. I'll also post updates here too.

IMGUR ALBUM:
http://imgur.com/a/G5CCs
Not sure if I can add photos to this album after its creation. If I can, I'll add new photos here, as well as to this thread.

YOUTUBE CHANNEL:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3oVtDrh4x5LyPrtpldAv-Q
I haven't uploaded any videos in some time, haven't felt well. I'll start uploading when I finish Vega's outdoor enclosure.
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
Lara

Re: Vega Thread (Pics, Updates, etc.)

Postby Lara » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:47 am

Aww, the pictures are adorable! I love the first one!
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:53 am

Wednesday, August 30

The materials for Vega's outdoor enclosure arrived today. Going to start work on it in the morning. Hopefully it will be safe for him to explore by tomorrow night. Have everything I need except a roof/top. (Which will have be added before he's allowed to explore it of course, haha)

Also gave Vega a slice of frozen banana today. He had a lot of fun with it. I offered him mealworms but he was more interested in playing with them than eating them. He won't eat vegetables like carrots either, only fruit— seems he has a sweet tooth.

He also cut his paws by accident, no idea how. I went to go refill my water, came back, and noticed he was bleeding a decent amount so checked his front paws and they were scratched up. I'm certain there's nothing dangerous for him to hurt himself on or with while he free roams in the workshop, but I'll have to search in the morning and re-check everything.
I'm thinking he skinned his feet or something while playing, maybe he slid down the concrete ledges in the room? He enjoys climbing them... It looks like he skinned his feet a bit. There really isn't anything dangerous in the workshop, just some empty cardboard boxes and a sink...

Anyways, he didn't seem to be in pain (was actin fnormal and wanted to play) so I cleaned his feet and they've stopped bleeding.
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:44 pm

Is there a space under the door. Aurora used to scratch herself up under the gates when out.
---
Mary

http://www.livingwithanteaters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:01 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:Is there a space under the door. Aurora used to scratch herself up under the gates when out.

There isn't a space under the door. I found blood on the concrete ledge like I thought, so it seems maybe something spooked him while he was on the lede and he scrambled down and skinned his super soft paws. I'll have to put towels up there.

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:35 pm

Aw, well at least you found the culprit.
---
Mary

http://www.livingwithanteaters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:55 pm

Thursday, August 31

Enclosure is coming together nicely. 10x10 at the moment but will b 10x20. Have to cut down some small trees and branches before I can add more on to it.

Going to add the concrete slabs in tomorrow (they're definitely too heavy for a coati to move) and add the fencing. Then the roof.

Then I'll need to figure out how I want to build the heated area. I'll probably go with what my book on pet coatimundi suggests.

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:32 pm

Looks great so far!
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:41 am

Great news... Vega let me pick him up tonight and he did perfect!

Usually he doesn't like being picked up, but tonight he was okay with it. I moved super slowly, pet him and reassured him, and he calmed down and let me scoop him up. He prefers being on my shoulder. Gave him some apple as a reward.

It's been hard to get good pictures of him lately since I've been using both my hands whenever I'm with him to play, or do things (like tidy up the room), or I'm working on his enclosure. :lol: But he's doing great.

Still no resource guarding either, which is weird. I've heard procyonids are really prone to resource guarding, but Vega lets me pet him and stuff while he eats and doesn't seem agitated by it at all. He doesn't mind his toys being messed with either. I wonder if he'll develop these behaviors as he ages?

I'll also have to find him a good collar. I want something that isnt dangerous though, something that won't choke him if he gets caught on something. Having some form of ID on him would reassure me in case he's ever stolen or something (just worst case scenario stuff), although I'm not sure how well he'll take having a collar on. Might hate it.

Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:42 pm

Parents had the day off so they pitched in and helped me out. icon-smile

The pic was taken before we finished for the night, we're about 75% done now. If I can get help again tomorrow I think we'll be able to finish it.

Deweylee17

Postby Deweylee17 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:00 pm

Thank you for the pics. They really help!
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:34 pm

About the concrete slabs. I tried putting a concrete block ( 8" x 18"x 9" app.) on one of my vents to prevent my coon chloe from using it to get into my crawlspace and she moved it with no problem what so ever.
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:15 pm

First part of the enclosure is done!

The photo is taken from my porch so it looks a lot smaller than usual. It's 10x10 for now since it's been too wet and muddy to start clearing things away and leveling the ground again, and I'd like him to be able to play outside and adjust to the enclosure as soon as possible.

I also ordered a large, durable, insulated, and heated outdoor kennel, that I've heard has worked well for other coati owners in cold climates. They said it kept their coatis nice and toasty during the winter months and in snow. I'm thinking about getting another one of them to put on the other side of the enclosure once I expand it to a 10x20.

Last but not least, I'm going to add some tree limbs to it (or maybe platforms, something to climb on) and start making some more complex enrichment items.

Also, the enclosure has a roof, it just isn't on it yet in the picture.

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:03 am

It's looking really nice! I can't wait to see what it looks like with the kennel and tree limbs. Vega is going to love it!
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:13 am

I got the basic stuff set up and Vega is having SO MUCH fun! I've never seen him this happy and wound up, he was hopping around and digging and climbing, and having a blast.

I was out sitting with him for 5 hours and playing until he got tired. He doesn't like being left alone out there so it broke my heart to leave him, he chirps and gets upset, guess he gets nervous since it's a new place. He's sleeping right now though so I'll be down there again later, hope he adjusts well, has plenty of places to hide and climb if he gets scared.

He got a little bit of his foot/claw in my mouth when he jumped on my head so now I'm paranoid about getting salmonella or something since he's quite dirty. I should probably get a mask for when I go out to play. :lol:

Here are some pics!

(He never ate the bell pepper he just played with it)

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”