NOTICE:

THIS BOARD WILL BE DOWN FOR A LITTLE WHILE. NOT SURE WHEN. I NEED TO DO UPDATES ON IT.
I WILL GIVE EVERYONE AMPLE TIME WHEN THIS WILL HAPPEN.

IT COULD TAKE ANYWHERE FROM AN HOUR OR MORE TO A DAY. LOTS OF WORK INVOLVED IN IT.
I MIGHT CHANGE THE THEME TOO. SO IF YOU COME ON WITH A DIFFERENT LOOK, YOU ARE AT THE RIGHT PLACE....LOL

Vega Thread (Pics, Updates, etc.)

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Vega Thread (Pics, Updates, etc.)

Postby Ash » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:42 pm

Aw, sounds like he loves you lots. :)

As for the wasps and bees, I had the same problem with Fable when he was younger. Unfortunately, it was learned through experience that bees are not something you catch and eat. But after that first incident, he has never touched a bee again. Poor little Vega may have to experience it first before he learns. You can only do so much to keep them from eating bugs that fly in and out.

I'm eager to see if he takes to the harness.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:20 pm

Ash wrote:Aw, sounds like he loves you lots. :)

As for the wasps and bees, I had the same problem with Fable when he was younger. Unfortunately, it was learned through experience that bees are not something you catch and eat. But after that first incident, he has never touched a bee again. Poor little Vega may have to experience it first before he learns. You can only do so much to keep them from eating bugs that fly in and out.

I'm eager to see if he takes to the harness.

Yeah, he'll probably have to learn the hard way. When bees land on me he'll run over and try to smush them with his nose or grab them, so I have to just carefully shoo them away to avoid getting stung. :lol:
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:03 pm

For the first time ever today, Vega fell asleep in my arms! He stayed like that for 2 whole hours, sleeping all curled up, but eventually I had to get up and go make something to eat for lunch. He's such a sweetheart, though I'd imagine he'll grow more independent as he ages.
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:47 pm

That's so adorable! I remember the times Fable would do that, and they were precious moments. Vega and you really have a strong bond. I think he definitely looks to you like a mother.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:17 pm

Rotated his toys and tree branches today. Also found a rotting log for him, which he enjoyed digging into.

Need to vacuum out all the dead leaves that have accumilated in the corners of his enclosure!

Also want to get some nicer looking tree branches (the dead ones look bad) and rope set up for him to climb. I'll probably string up thick rope from one end of the enclosure to the other from the roof, like a trapeze.

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:56 pm

That looks great! He definitely seems to be having fun out there. Does he still miss you when you leave him outside?

He's growing up so fast!
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:27 pm

Yeah, although he's gotten better about it he still hates it when I leave and will try to follow me while chirping. I see why most people keep them inside now, they get so attached they hate being apart from you for any amount of time.

Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:06 pm

Alright, harness is too small (must have measured him wrong) but he didn't mind me putting it on around him... He really wanted to play with it though. He loves anything new I bring him, and thought it was a toy. He didn't want to give it up and chirped at me in frustration (first time he's done that, must finally be developing that raccoon tendency to resource guard!) and didn't want any of the other toys I brought, so I had to swap him for a slice of banana. And then, of course, he completely forgot about the harness. :lol:

So I'll have to run out tonight and buy him a new harness, if the pet stores are still open. I'll probably buy a couple different types to see what works best.

Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:15 pm

A bit chilly and rainy out today so I put a sweater on Vega so he could enjoy sitting outside of his heating.

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:26 pm

That's super cute. That's awesome that he lets you put a sweater on him!
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:27 pm

Thinking of renovating my room or getting an indoor cage for him. He loves being inside way more than being outside, he will follow me around the house, cuddle with me on my bed after he's exhausted, etc. Even when he's outside with me on the leash he wants to go inside. He really hates being alone... And I also hate being away from him, even if it's nighttime, because I worry over him if I don't have him with me. :lol:
I'm just worried about the salmonella and bacteria from him, and so is my family. I would need to coati-proof my room (I have a very expensive computer though and lots of cords, so not sure how to protect those?) and clean everything thoroughly every day, but I think I can do it if I get my parents to agree. Having an indoor space + an outdoor space would be amazing.

Also, I've been using small tidbits of banana to encourage him to accept his harness. I'm not sure if this is the most effective method, but it seems to work really well. He'll come over and let me harness him up, then I give him a little treat and some pets. He doesn't struggle when I'm putting the harness on, but if he's wound up he'll try to grab it and play with it.

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:11 pm

I'm not careful about avoiding being contaminated by my pets, Ikigai runs free on my bed, anteaters everywhere and the dog and I kiss them all, except Aurora, trying to kiss her would go badly, lol. But each person's immune system is different. I'd think you'd be less likely to get sick from an animal you are always exposed to though. I mean we all carry around deadly viruses and bacteria in our guts and normally don't get sick with it, but new ones can cause an imbalance.

If he's litter trained, which I believe you said he was that should make it fairly safe really.

Love the photo of him in the sweater.
---
Mary

http://www.livingwithanteaters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:47 pm

I have a 5x5 dog kennel in the garage, I'll see if I can set it up in my room with a plastic scatter guard and bottom. Might have to move my computer entirely out of my room.

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:35 am

Good idea. He is sure to rip the keys off the keyboard at some point if nothing else, Stewie did.
---
Mary

http://www.livingwithanteaters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:46 pm

Alright, here is my current plan:

- Vega will be kept in a double macaw cage recommended by coati and kinkajou owners when I can't supervise him indoors
- Possibly half the time inside with me and half outside, like inside in mornings and outside at evening or vice versa
- Moving things on my room that can be broken or destroyed out of my room or into coati-proof locked containers
- Moving my computer out completely
- Coati-proofing my fish tanks and terrariums
(Might need to add more)

I've also been gradually moving farther and farther away from home on our walks. He hasn't been to any super busy places yet though, is like to work our way up if it's possible.

New behavior he's started doing is shoving his nose up my nostril and just holding it there, usually followed by locking my face. :lol: he does it when he's in a snuggly mood so I'm wondering if it means anything, or if he just thinks my nose smells interesting and wants to explore.

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”