Vega Thread (Pics, Updates, etc.)

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Vega Thread (Pics, Updates, etc.)

Postby Ash » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:00 pm

Too cute! I'm glad he has fun out there. It's great to see an update on him. I'm surprised by how fast he's growing!
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:11 pm

Just got back inside from playing with him again about 25 minutes ago. When I walk around he follows me, and when something scares him he'll climb up my leg and into my arms or on my shoulder.

When I leave he chirps and gets very upset, it breaks my heart. :cry: I've been out with him ever since 7 this morning so I have to go now and do some other things. Would leaving some clothing of mine in with him help him feel like I'm there? I'll have to do that in a bit.

Also, the chain link wire is kind of stretched near the top and bottom which is annoying because it lets him stick his head through on the bottom side, and on the top side he can actually wriggle through, so we're laying chicken wire over everything for now. Once he's bigger he won't be able to even get his muzzle through.
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:02 pm

Just added logs to his enclosure for climbing. He seems to prefer climbing on me though. :mrgreen:
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:24 pm

I had problem with my foxes getting through the bottom of the chain link enclosures--which is why I don't recommend them for foxes unless modifications are made. What I wound up doing is wiring the point of the diamonds down to the tension bar. That worked really well. My quarantine enclosure had to be wired the same way since the bottom is chain link.

I'm sure right now the change is just hard. But he'll grow to love it, even when he's by himself, lol.

I LOVE the video! He seems super cute and friendly with you!
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:28 pm

I'm sure he'll get used to it after awhile. He's still young so wants his parent there. Clothes might help.

You could also wean him onto it, like out during the day and in at night for awhile but he's already been out over night already so maybe not needed. He may be calmer out there when you aren't around than he lets on when you are.
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:20 am

Doing a lot or better this morning. I came out at first light to visit with him and give him breakfast, and he was so happy to see me. When I had to go back inside about 30 minutes later to eat breakfast he was chirping so loud I could hear it from my porch and trying to follow me. :cry:
I'm back out with him now and he's playing and having a blast, I gave him a rotting log and he had fun shredding it and munching on the termites inside. I'll stay with him until lunchtime, because then I'll have to eat lunch. :lol:

I'm going to try leaving an article of my clothing to see if that helps him calm down when I have to leave again.

Oh, and another odd behavior I've noticed is that Vega will bring some of his food or toys and jump into my lap and eat or play with them there. I haven't really heard of this behavior with coatimundi, usually they don't want you anywhere near their food and toys and are resource guarders. Is he doing this because he feels safer with me?

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:59 pm

Peacefulward wrote:Oh, and another odd behavior I've noticed is that Vega will bring some of his food or toys and jump into my lap and eat or play with them there. I haven't really heard of this behavior with coatimundi, usually they don't want you anywhere near their food and toys and are resource guarders. Is he doing this because he feels safer with me?

I would think so. Don't know how long males are allowed to stay with the tribe in the wild but he'd normally grow up in the tribe with family showing him where to find food and playing with them. So food, safety and play are community things, at least when young.
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:18 pm

He's started grooming my head. At first I thought maybe I had bugs or lice in my hair, but there isn't anything :lol: Vega will climb up onto my shoulder and part my hair with his claws, and groom me. He also does if to my arms but not as often.

His heated dog house is working great. I'm also setting up heat lamps to keep his entire enclosure nice and toasty when it's cold.

Going to start harness training, its late but he still takes being picked up well and he didn't mind the harness I've been putting on him. Need a slip proof figure 8 cat harness though.

He still hasn't developed any negative behaviors, not even food aggression or resource guarding, but he's still young so I'm expecting them... I'm ready for the changes to come.

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:16 pm

Glad everything is going so well and that she is showing affection.

Figure 8 are the most easily slipped out of harnesses ever invented.

Plain h-harnesses work best. For some odd reason some label roman harness as H but those aren't so here's an example. https://www.lupinepet.com/h-harness/

Since you can tighten each part separately on the H it is very hard to slip out of. With the 8 they are not independent so they they pull one section will become bigger than the other and become easy to slip out of.
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:34 am

Not sure how to put this, so I'll state it straight up: someone let Vega loose.

Don't worry, all is well. He came in the house through the dog doors and into my room to find me (which was actually pretty cute, got all excited when he saw me) but I was super confused as to how he was out... So I go outside, and his enclosure door is wide open. Now, it has no lock, but the mechanism that opens the door is really heavy and requires some prying with 2 hands to even get open, and I know he can't open it by himself (at least yet, since he's a baby and not strong enough). That wasn't what really concerned me though... My stepfather said he heard people outside but couldn't see anybody. And nobody in my family did it because it's 2 in the morning.

It's time for a lock and security camera. It's really dangerous to just let Vega out, he doesn't run away but outside of his heated enclosure it's cold, and we have coyotes and owls and all sorts of animals that would kill him. I should have had a lock on the gate in the first place, but I was naive and never thought someone would let him loose... Lesson learned.

I stayed out with him for a little while to double check his enclosure for any oddities and make sure his heater and dog house were working, and to get him calmed down, but the idea of someone breaking into my yard to let my pet loose isn't exactly comforting. :shrug:

Anybody here know of good security cameras?

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:45 am

Wow glad he came right to you. Sadly it's kind of common for people to let others exotic animals loose and getting more common.

Did you see this thread? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14207
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:21 pm

That is terrifying. I'm so glad he came back, otherwise this could have been a tragedy.

Who all knows of Vega? Do you think your aunt could have been involved somehow? I would hate to wonder if family like that could have been, but I know how against Vega she was. Can you see his enclosure from the road? Do your neighbors know?

This is so scary.
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:58 pm

Only my family knows about Vega, but even my Aunt wouldn't be so horrible as to let him loose.

His enclosure is partially visible from the road we're next to, so I think someone saw him and pulled over to come sneak in and let him out. I'm hoping it's a one time thing, but I have a lock on the enclosure now and am working on getting a security camera... Better safe than sorry.

We have neighbors but they are rather spaced apart from us (since we live in a wooded area) and most likely don't know we even own a coatimundi.

Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:48 pm

No pics today because my phone broke, getting it repaired soon.

Gave Vega a bath, he wasn't fond of it at first so I had to don a swimsuit and sit in the tub with him so he'd relax. Gave him some cheerios as a special treat while we were bathing, little guy took it like a champ.
He seems to accumulate reddish-orange flecks on his skin, mostly on his stomach and tail. It looks a lot like the rust male rats will get, or pig rust. Not sure if it's natural, I've never heard about it. It also stains his fur an orange color, it's pretty weird but that explains why a lot of coatimundi I see have yellow or orange-y bellies. I gave him a nice scrub and got it off, then used the blow dryer on lowest setting to dry him (which he thought was amazing, kept trying to grab the air blowing at him :lol: )
Another thing that concerns me is that Vega will chase and catch bugs... But he also does it to wasps and bees. I don't want him getting stung, so it makes me worry a little. But, nothing I can really do about that when I'm not with him. icon_confused.gif

Taking his measurements for a slip proof cat harness, the type that Tam linked. Also going to get a matching breakaway collar. Vega lets me put sweaters on him and handle him quite a lot, so I feel like he'll take to the harness well despite being a little old for it. If not, then I guess we'll just have to practice a lot. He'll love being able to come on walks with me, and accompany me around my home as I do work and such, he hates being separated from me... Chirps loudly and becomes distressed, wanting to follow me. Breaks my heart! :cry:

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:13 am

Anteaters get that too a rusty orangish skin film. In their case they do sweat so and mostly in the areas they sweat to I chalk it up to modified sweat glands. They will rub their chest on things so assume it acts in part as scent for marking things. It does help dye their hair too my girl's hair is naturally clear/white but it gives them a wheaty blond sort of color. But in Pua's case she is now yellow, lol. I giver her curcumin and she sweats to color out it seems.

I wonder if I'd be allergic to coati's. I'm alergic to anteaters but developed a tolerance to them. Any new one still gives me hives or prolonged contact makes me itchy. And I sleep with my head away from the wall instead of the normal way because they will sit and groom over me and they have tons of dander and make my eye all itchy and red and me all stuffed up.

He should take to the harness since he's cool with clothes. He should also learn the leash allows him to go with you so not mind it.

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”