NOTICE:

THIS BOARD WILL BE DOWN FOR A LITTLE WHILE. NOT SURE WHEN. I NEED TO DO UPDATES ON IT.
I WILL GIVE EVERYONE AMPLE TIME WHEN THIS WILL HAPPEN.

IT COULD TAKE ANYWHERE FROM AN HOUR OR MORE TO A DAY. LOTS OF WORK INVOLVED IN IT.
I MIGHT CHANGE THE THEME TOO. SO IF YOU COME ON WITH A DIFFERENT LOOK, YOU ARE AT THE RIGHT PLACE....LOL

Disabled Raccoon resulting from unknown attacker - need Help?

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Asilsroxi

Disabled Raccoon resulting from unknown attacker - need Help?

Postby Asilsroxi » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:11 pm

Hi I need help with my little girl, Roxi. She’s been with me since April 2017. Her mother & sibling were killed on road in front of house. She was about 4/5wks old. She was bottle fed & weened appropriately and soft released until she was attacked by unknown animal. She was about 3.5/4 mths old. Since she has been given 2.5 weeks of antibiotic via syringe, cephflexin?, and I was able to apply disinfectant spray & ointment as much as possible. I didn’t notice how badly she was bitten until 2 was into treatment. She started to develop multiple abscesses on her legs and tail. All have healed except left arm/paw & tail. Tail has burst and is draining. She is very protective & sensitive to both areas. Her left arm is useless at this point. She walks/runs on 3 legs. She is eating bananas & Eukannuba small bites and seems to be hungry all the time now at 6 mths old. She is getting larger every day. I exercise her as much as I can without her hurting herself. I live in a state that doesn’t allow Raccoons. 1. I need help with her weight? 2. I need to know about getting her fixed? 3. I need to know if I can send her to another state to be taken care of if I can’t keep her? 3. I need a vets advice & help...I can’t give her vaccinations myself because she is very aggressive if she doesn’t like what you’re doing. I’m willing to pay to have her adopted out of state if that’s what it will take. Please help?
Peacefulward

Re: Disabled Raccoon resulting from unknown attacker - need Help?

Postby Peacefulward » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:30 pm

Post an ad for her in the Facebook group "Exotic Animals For Sale". If you don't have a Facebook I wouldn't mind doing it for you (if you send pics and more info on her).

It's illegal to own and sell wild caught raccoons, but it's the only option I can come up with. :shrug: Would be better than sending her to a sanctuary, most are full anyways... I'd say to give it a try.

And yep, if she's going to be kept as a pet she'll definitely need to be fixed before she becomes a year old. Vaccinations aren't as important, but most owners do it anyways as a precaution. As for the veterinary advice, I have absolutely no idea, as I am not a vet and have limited knowledge on the subject.
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:23 pm

Are there any educational centers in your area? USDA-licensed facilities? They may be open to taking her. I don't know where you're from though, so can't help you look, but that would be a good option. You might still be able to visit her too.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Avocado87

Postby Avocado87 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:30 am

Im very sorry to read about this situation, must be extremely difficult what you are dealing with right now, looks like its been one hurdle after another. Can't offer any advice as based in the uk but I do wish you all the best in finding a solution and hope that the little lady manages to find somewhere she will be safe and can receive the treatment she needs. Hoping all the best for both of you.

A.
Be the change you wish to see in the world
Sparttan117

Postby Sparttan117 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:18 pm

The situation she's in sounds like she might not be releasable. Perhaps look for certification for wildlife rehab. If an animal is too injured to be released, they can be kept in human care. Try to look up wildlife rehab in your state and see if they can help.

Edit: Many states that don't allow pet raccoons will allow raccoons in wildlife rehab cases.
cledwards/hank

Postby cledwards/hank » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:43 pm

Contact Thelma Jane Raccoon on fb. She lives in Florida and has three special needs raccoons. She also accepts normal raccoons that can be released on her property. She is amazing!!!
Sparttan117

Postby Sparttan117 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:05 am

What state are you and Roxi in? Perhaps we could use this information to arrange a pickup by someone who can take care of her.
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:47 pm

Any updates?
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”