PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Spaying Raccoon Near Ky

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

NovocaineBrain

Spaying Raccoon Near Ky

Postby NovocaineBrain » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:48 pm

I ended up taking in an orphaned baby raccoon awhile back, and plan to keep her long-term. She's about five or six months old now, and I've been trying to figure out how or where to get her spayed since I have no paperwork or permits. I live in Ky, but I'm willing to go on a road trip to get her fixed if necessary. Anyway anyone could point me in the right direction?
Sparttan117

Re: Spaying Raccoon Near Ky

Postby Sparttan117 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:05 pm

You can't get a vet to spay a raccoon that you don't have the permits for if the animal is a species that would normally require a permit. Any vet seen treating an illegal animal can have their licence to practice veterinary medicine taken away, so you will probably need to get a permit.

Raccoons do require a permit in Kentucky, but according to viewtopic.php?f=50&t=12103&view=unread#unread , it's $75 for a 3 year noncommercial wildlife permit. It is VERY unlikely that any vet will go near your raccoon unless you have the permit. THIS SHOULD BE YOUR FIRST PRIORITY!!!

If I were you, I would get the permit as soon as possible and once you have the prrmit, start contacting all of the vets in your area. It can be hard to find a vet who is willing to work with raccoons, but one trick I found is calling a wildlife rehab center and ask which vet they go to for their rehab cases.

If you ask a wildlife center, try to ask which vets they would suggest for animals that they care for before mentioning that you have a pet raccoon. While all of us on the forums know that a well cared for raccoon is a great pet, many others might not share this opinion. While I love my friends at the wildlife center that I volunteer at, some of them have told me that they do not personally agree with my plans to get a raccoon. I would suggest that you don't start off with the fact that you have a raccoon, but if they ask, don't try to dodge the question because that makes people more suspicious and less likely to answer questions.

TL;DR: Get a permit and THEN call some vets. One way to find a vet would be to call a wildlife rehab center and ask which vets they go to, but only say that you have a pet raccoon if they ask why you need the vet.
NovocaineBrain

Postby NovocaineBrain » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:05 pm

Sparttan117 wrote:You can't get a vet to spay a raccoon that you don't have the permits for if the animal is a species that would normally require a permit. Any vet seen treating an illegal animal can have their licence to practice veterinary medicine taken away, so you will probably need to get a permit.

Raccoons do require a permit in Kentucky, but according to viewtopic.php?f=50&t=12103&view=unread#unread , it's $75 for a 3 year noncommercial wildlife permit. It is VERY unlikely that any vet will go near your raccoon unless you have the permit. THIS SHOULD BE YOUR FIRST PRIORITY!!!

If I were you, I would get the permit as soon as possible and once you have the prrmit, start contacting all of the vets in your area. It can be hard to find a vet who is willing to work with raccoons, but one trick I found is calling a wildlife rehab center and ask which vet they go to for their rehab cases.

If you ask a wildlife center, try to ask which vets they would suggest for animals that they care for before mentioning that you have a pet raccoon. While all of us on the forums know that a well cared for raccoon is a great pet, many others might not share this opinion. While I love my friends at the wildlife center that I volunteer at, some of them have told me that they do not personally agree with my plans to get a raccoon. I would suggest that you don't start off with the fact that you have a raccoon, but if they ask, don't try to dodge the question because that makes people more suspicious and less likely to answer questions.

TL;DR: Get a permit and THEN call some vets. One way to find a vet would be to call a wildlife rehab center and ask which vets they go to, but only say that you have a pet raccoon if they ask why you need the vet.

Thanks for your response, I wasn't even aware anyone could just go and get such a permit in ky. I did some reading on it though, and it looks like you have to apply for this permit before you get your raccoon. And according to
this https://fw.ky.gov/Wildlife/Pages/Transportation-and-Holding-of-Live-Native-Wildlife.aspx one has to "Indicate a legal source for how the wildlife will be obtained on the permit application". Taking one out of the wild, as I did, isn't allowed.
Seajay

Postby Seajay » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:38 pm

Rescued Heart Animal clinic spayed my raccoon, they are located in Pekin, IL. They might know of a wild life vet close to you. I have a license from the state my vet requires a copy for the file.
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:59 am

Is there a particular reason you feel you MUST spay her? Many owners keep their females intact, and have absolutely no issues. While it would be good to locate a vet willing to see her, in event of any future emergencies, honestly I'd try keeping her intact and just deal with her seasonal moodiness when it occurs. Anesthesia is pretty hard on raccoons, and unless your vet is raccoon-savvy, it could have a bad ending.

Vaccines are important, however, especially if your girl is going to be kept in an outdoor enclosure, or would somehow otherwise come in contact with other mammals who may be infected. You can get vaccines at most farm stores, such as Tractor Supply, or buy them online. But PLEASE, refer to the recommended vaccine list specifically for raccoons provided here on the forum, and be sure to use 'killed' or modified live, as indicated, for the vaccines you wish to give. You'll have to check to see if your state allows giving the rabies vaccine yourself. Most states require a vet do give the rabies to make the vaccination 'legal', but really, it's all a moot point on the rabies, since the gov't won't recognize ANY rabies vaccine as effective on raccoons, and if your girl bites someone and they report it, she will be euth'd and checked for rabies anyway.

Also, if you plan to vaccinate her yourself, please do only one vaccine type at a time. Sometimes they can have bad reactions if more than one vaccine is given at once. If you can also pick up an anaphylaxis drug, such as Epinephrine, to have on hand, should your girl have a reaction to the vaccine, that would be a good idea. I nearly lost one of my boys after a vaccination, and had I not been able to bring him to my vet immediately for an Epi shot, I'm not sure how that story would have ended.
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”