Both messages are from me, I just thought I would share the ebates with everyone. been wanting to that awhile ago, but, just never got to it.
If you look at the link, you will see sybil's name on it.
Even though I might not post as much as I would like to, but, I do check this board a couple or more times a day.
The ebates is FREE, no money out of your pocket, only in your pocket. I have been using ebates for a long time, it is easy to use once you register. in fact, anytime you shop online, you will get a drop down message from ebates.
Trust me, it is NOT any type of scam.

Get money back when shopping online and at many stores from Ebates.............. most stores have different percentage rates back. (they usually deposit it in Paypal account.
if you did not sign up yet, please use the link below: (you will get an instant 10.00 for signing up. but, please use the link belowe.

https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

===================================================================================================
NOTICE THIS BOARD WILL BE DOWN FOR A LITTLE WHILE. NOT SURE WHEN. I NEED TO DO UPDATES ON IT. I WILL GIVE EVERYONE AMPLE TIME WHEN THIS WILL HAPPEN.

Water Ideas For Issac the Coonie

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ellie May

Water Ideas For Issac the Coonie

Postby Ellie May » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:06 am

Issac has full run of our home but at night he has a dog kennel that is 5 x 10 to sleep in but this also where he eats & drinks too during the day and is his play room too. My diliema is finding a way to give him water without less mess .... I know coonies are messy by nature and I'm okay with that but we tried a bowl and he gets his litter in it and I hate for him to drink that then we have been trying a auto automatic watered and bundgie cording it to the kennel but coonies are smart and after a week he had figured out how to get the budgie cord off then spills the water so he's not getting water all thru the night...I tried water bottles but some how he chewed a hole in them from inside the cage :wall: I'm just reaching out in hopes for a way I haven't thought of yet that might be a little less messy and cleaner for my precious boy Issac :shrug: Thanks love this webpage and message board and don't know what I'd do without it and all the Coonie lovers within it :icon-wink:
Ellie May

Re: Water Ideas For Issac the Coonie

Postby Ellie May » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:07 am

Oh yeah if your wondering how we keep Issac in his cage at nite my husband built me a wooden top
linseylou

Postby linseylou » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:11 am

I don't know how to help inside the cage, because Ness free roams... But she has a water bowl in the tub and that keeps everything less messy
You are forever responsible for what you've tamed, responsible pet ownership starts with you.
I share my life with 4 red foxes, 1 raccoon, a couple human children, my hubby, dogs, cats, and a snake
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:58 pm

Dishes are too small and so easy to tip. I water my raccoons using 'bussing tubs' like restaurants use to clear dishes from tables. Generally they can't/won't tip them, but you'll still have the mess from them crawling in and out.

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-19500/Totes-Plastic-Storage-Boxes-S-19500Q/Rubbermaid-Tote-Box-20-x-15-x-5?pricode=WB1249&gadtype=pla&id=S-19500Q&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpuez24iy1wIVToBpCh0nIQIVEAQYAiABEgLiefD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
Ellie May

Postby Ellie May » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:10 pm

This is great ideas thank you so much!!!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:01 pm

I was briefly thinking about a lixit but a coon would probably keep playing with it till there was a flood, lol.

Spill proof and regular cleaning is probably the best you can do. I used to have a huge ceramic bowl that was heavy and hard to pick up.

Actually my fennec likes to play in his water and so I give him a big one every other night he can spill for fun(not every night so the carpet can dry out in between for now need to find something heavier he can't knock over, he used to just dig in the water but he got big enough to tip it) plus his little one to drink out of. At first that kept him from spilling the drink but lately he digs in that till it's dry too. Little snot, fennecs aren't supposed to like water. May try securing it with a ziptie, since he doesn't have hands like a coon.
Kagney

Postby Kagney » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:16 am

You could try to approach the problem from the litter box end, and build a container for it. It won't solve the problem completely since that's such a small space to have both a litter box and a water bowl, but it might help contain it a little more.
Here are some pics of our litter box box:
box3.jpg
box2.jpg
box1.jpg

Having a utility rug underneath helps too, but only if you vacuum it regularly.
My girl is free roam 24/7 and even with the box and the water bowls in separate rooms, I still have this problem myself on occasion.

They really need those big water bowls/pans/containers to play in though, its an important accommodation for their natural behavior, even if the aftermath can be a pain in the butt for us. :lol:
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:35 pm

I also keep a big bowl of water in my bathtub,its a lot easier to clean up. They have a dog water dish on my night table. Coons like to play in water and the dish on my night stand is more convenient for them to dunk their treasures in but at least that gives me a first place to look for missing items.
otterpop

Postby otterpop » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:03 am

My raccoon kids ("hand-me-down" pets) are both over ten years old, so I probably don't have much to offer about keeping water clean issues. I have a ferret-cage bottom that's about 3 feet square to use as a base to keep water bowls in. I have 2 larger variety stainless-steel bowl, which were used by their former owner in a shower stall. I fill one half-full, the other has just an inch of water. Once in a great while the lesser volume dish gets tipped over- and the ferret cage bottom keeps the water from floor-travelling. The fuller water dish tends to be left untipped. Even though one of their kitty pans (two of them) is now only a few feet away *(used to be across a much longer room in their former loc) I use newspapers instead of cat liiter and hardly ever have a problem with stuff floating in the water dishes. -Again, though in my case, these kids are probably way much less active than youngsters. I alway change the water every day- if I see anything like dirty water then I would change it right away again. The keeping kittypan on the opposite end of an enclosure trick would be my suggestion- even if just to reduce the frequency of spoiling the water. I gave up using lixit bottles for coons years ago. The tube gets played with until all the water has leaked out and there is no more to drink until the bottle is refilled. The result is a very wet and thirsty raccoon
otterpop
Rosie&Roscoe

Postby Rosie&Roscoe » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:28 am

Try a water bottle like you would give a rabbit.
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:27 am

Rosie&Roscoe -
Ellie May noted that she'd tried water bottles - they didn't work out well.

I tried water bottles but some how he chewed a hole in them from inside the cage
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
Rosie&Roscoe

Postby Rosie&Roscoe » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:07 pm

Try a glass one. Works great for my babies.
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:18 pm

Rosie&Roscoe wrote:Try a glass one.

Huh! I didn't know they still made glass ones! Seems everything is made out of plastic these days... :roll:
Dana

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:27 pm

They do also have heavy duty ones made for monkeys if you look hard enough but the noted problem was raccoons playing with the nozzle and emptying it.

a ziptie didn't work for Ikigai but switched his play water to the stainless dog bowl and he kicked it around some but didn't spill it, a nice benefit to his not having hands, easier to solve. So at least he has some water always available now.

Maybe you could make some sort of bowl holder like I did for Aurora when she was still on soup. They screwed or clamped down onto the shelf.
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:44 pm

Maybe try one of these or something similar??

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B4J2KQW/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1
Dana

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”