Both messages are from me, I just thought I would share the ebates with everyone. been wanting to that awhile ago, but, just never got to it.
If you look at the link, you will see sybil's name on it.
Even though I might not post as much as I would like to, but, I do check this board a couple or more times a day.
The ebates is FREE, no money out of your pocket, only in your pocket. I have been using ebates for a long time, it is easy to use once you register. in fact, anytime you shop online, you will get a drop down message from ebates.
Trust me, it is NOT any type of scam.

Get money back when shopping online and at many stores from Ebates.............. most stores have different percentage rates back. (they usually deposit it in Paypal account.
if you did not sign up yet, please use the link below: (you will get an instant 10.00 for signing up. but, please use the link belowe.

https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

===================================================================================================
NOTICE THIS BOARD WILL BE DOWN FOR A LITTLE WHILE. NOT SURE WHEN. I NEED TO DO UPDATES ON IT. I WILL GIVE EVERYONE AMPLE TIME WHEN THIS WILL HAPPEN.

Starting from scratch

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Randy

Starting from scratch

Postby Randy » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:01 pm

bought a young raccoon 1 month ago.
don't know alot about his background from the breeder.

he is 3-4 mos old.
I am keeping him/her In a small pen.
I avoided direct contact for a couple weeks for fear of disease.

He's is growing and starting to tame some.
Loves canned cat food and persimmons.
Tied an old pot on the side of the pen and put cedar shavings in it. That was a big hit. Put a piece of fire wood in the pen to climb up into pot.
Now he will smell my hands and feels my fingers with his paws.
Not showing any aggression now.
he is registered, vacccinated, and has specific housing needs met.
What specific obstacles am I facing if I decide to keep him.
Recommendations?
DeweysMom

Re: Starting from scratch

Postby DeweysMom » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:53 pm

If you want an honest opinion, I'd advise you to turn him over to a rehabber and save yourself a boatload of heartache and $$. It sounds like you don't know very much about raccoons (and that's perfectly OK - we ALL had to learn!!), and this little guy can teach you, but goodness - even experienced raccoon people might find this guy a potential handful. If you truly would like a raccoon as a companion, do your research, purchase a tiny tot from a good breeder and start there. It was so very kind of you to 'save' him, but you really do have so much to learn. I'm not trying to be mean about it, but truly, are you up to the task? And it is a MONUMENTAL one. Even 'seasoned' raccoon owners bang their head against the wall in frustration sometimes! LOL

However, know that he is NOT beyond returning to the wild. If you are ABSOLUTELY NOT IN THIS FOR THE DURATION OF HIS LIFE (average 10-13 years), please turn him over to a wildlife rehabber. Each day that you keep him lessens his chance of being rehabbed and returned to the wild. If you've never had a raccoon, you are in for a horrendously bumpy ride - especially given he was 3-4 months old when you got him. He very likely will never be a good 'pet'. Even domestically bred raccoons that are pulled from their mama at 2-3 weeks and bottle fed and bonded with their human can be quite a handful. Should you keep him and decide a year from now that it isn't working, you can't just open his door and allow him to 'go back to the wild'. He will surely die.

If you really wish to keep him, go through the legal channels to get him registered, get him vaccinated and build him a proper enclosure. If he's going to be kept 100% of the time in the enclosure, it absolutely should be much larger than the state requires, or you will have a fat, sullen, unhappy and possibly aggressive companion. You'll need to give him plenty of interactive things to do to keep him happy mentally, too.

EDUCATE yourself as much as possible about raccoons. There is a wealth of information here on this forum, and plenty of raccoon people to help you through bumpy spots, but know that they are NOT a dog or cat and cannot be treated as such, and they do have specific nutritional and health needs. You will need to know what they are. PLEASE do not feed catfood. If you're going to feed a kibble, please feed a high-quality, grain-free dog food. Cat food is not good for raccoons. Additionally, keep the 'sweets' (ie junkfood) to a minimum and try to encourage him to eat what he would in the wild. If not, you'll end up with a grossly obese and unhealthy raccoon. Sweet treats are OK occasionally, but as a TREAT, not as part of each meal.
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:52 pm

If you aren't going to be able to keep him, please do as Dewey's mom says. But if you can, then go for it. Spend as much time with him as possible, get him wormed for sure and vaccinated at least against distemper & whatever it takes to make him legal. As long as he's never loose outside,rabies isn't a concern, but may be required. Hand feed him when you can and don't tolerate any aggression from him. If you have a dog, acquaint them if possible, It will give him someone to play rough with and your dog will teach him not to be to rough and also social skills. Unless under super extreme conditions, don't hit, tease or rough house with him, it encourages aggression. Cat food is probably too high calorie for him, try adding nuts, veggies (good luck), and as long a he doesn't get too fat whatever you eat. Mine love to "fish", unfortunately not eat fish- just catch them. Fish would be good for them. Don't ever corner him, I'm a screamer, so that's how I discipline and it seems to work, I tell myself if nothing else it hurts their ears. Good luck and enjoy him. p.s. a kong filled with peanut butter is one of Chloe and Scooter's favorites, also golf balls they can get in the tub and roll around at 3 a. m..
Randy

Postby Randy » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:30 pm

Thanks for the inputs.
I probably should have given a personal background. While not real familiar with raccoons, I'm not new to animals. We have 5 horses, one is definately a senior citizen. I have to soak his feed everyday because at 36 his teeth are gone. We have 12 cats because my daughter loves helping anything. Only one is not neutered because I didn't want to be the only intake male on the place. My old bird dog 16 that we finally had to put down was senile for 3 years. I was constantly letting him in and out . He would come in the front door, want out the back door go around the house and scratch on the front wanting in again. Any animal that we keep will get good care. I've had the same female human for 34 years. I don't take commitment lightly. I would love to see other's outside enclosures. Also would like references on nutrition. PS I have an animal science degree. It is geared toward farm animals but I can understand it. Finances and space are not issues either. Thanks
Randy

Postby Randy » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:31 pm

Intact!
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:20 pm

I am tech illiterate but Pat has a great setup and if you look around here she has posted pics, Ana as well and a few others. The best setups I've seen have access from the house to an outside pen, mine visit but don't spend much time in the outside pen.Probably because for the first 5 or 6 years Chloe had no access to outside and Scooter won't stay out without her. My outside pen is enclosed on all 6 sides with 1" wire and has a log that goes nearly to the top of the pen,they also have a pool out there.
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:12 pm

Randy
You will find a TON of information about every subject regarding raccoons under this "Raccoon Family" topic. If you scroll down through the posts, there are all kinds of topics such as nutrition, behavior, enclosure ideas, etc. You will also find info on the same elsewhere on this forum, if you take the time to have a look around. If short on time, there is a search engine for you to use. Just type in what you're looking for, and you should be directed to information on that subject.

Not trying to be unhelpful, but because the subjects you're asking about can go into quite a bit of depth, it would take a great deal of time for us to offer answers that you seek here. When the information you're interested in can easily be found, many of us won't take the time to answer, but will instead refer you to thoroughly examine this board. If, after a thorough search, you cannot find what you're looking for, we are here to help.

It sounds like you have a real good animal background with experience in many different species. If you're willing to put the time into taming this guy down, you're likely to find success. But it's going to take TONS of TIME, TONS of PATIENCE, and you will be frustrated more times than you'll want to be. :lol:

Here is a PDF I recently stumbled across that has some very helpful information about raccoons. It'll help get you started. https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Infectious-Disease-Management-2013-Handout.pdf

You can find care and nutrition info here:
https://sybilsden.com/bb/viewforum.php?f=92

Housing and enrichment here:
https://sybilsden.com/bb/viewforum.php?f=110

I'm sure I'm missing ALOT, but you get the drift. Almost ALL of your questions and concerns can be addressed by information found SOMEwhere on this board. Please take the time to have a look around - you'll be glad you did!
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:05 pm

I hadn't seen the first of your links, when I have time I'm going through it. Thanks for the info. For pet coon info I always suggest the Remo raccoon site, it a fun read and full of information. http://remocoon.mnsi.net/
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:42 pm

Randy

If you can care for him, that is great. we are here to help.

however, from what I have read, you might not have a good start at him being a very friendly raccoon as he gets older.
but, that don't always stand true. if you spend lots of time with him, that helps. talk to him in a soft voice as much as you can.
most importantly, sit or lay down to his level, then later try and hand feed him. (if you haven't already)

Ana's husband did some really nice updates to the enclosure. when I get a chance, I will get some pictures to give you some ideas.

we are here to help each other. that was my intention the first day I created this forum over 10 years ago.... makes me happy, cause my plan has worked well. the mods here are great and very knowledgeable, which they helped make my dream come true.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Randy

Postby Randy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:13 pm

I assume the vocal sounds resembling purring are good? He seemed happy at the time.
Randy

Postby Randy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:38 am

According to the bill I found you must
Obtain permit
Be 16 years of age or older
Provide enclosure min 5x6x6 with climbing limbs high resting area etc
Vaccinations etc
Common sense stuff
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:59 am

Randy wrote:I assume the vocal sounds resembling purring are good? He seemed happy at the time.

yes, that is good. however, don't expect that as he grows. now is a crucial time to work with him.
if if don't work out, keep a feeding station for him.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:55 pm

As you spend more time with him, you will get to recognize his vocalizations. Every coon is different. My Chloe greets me with growls that if I didn't know her would be very intimidating. When Scooter has lost track of Chloe, he walks around crying until he finds her. When Scooter is trying to get Lily (cat) to run so he can chase her, he runs at her making a loud eee sound. It doesn't work but he still tries. The purring is usually contentment but mine do it a lot less as they get older, I think its a "baby" thing.
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:15 pm

Just wondering how things are progressing for you and your little buddy, Randy. Please post an update when you can!
Dana

Randy

Postby Randy » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:24 am

She is doing well. Leaning toward gradually transferring her back to the wild. I have contacted a person experienced in rehabbing raccoons and they are helping me through it. I’ll Update later. Allowing her the run of the garage on occasion. Funny she found a hole in the wall our dog made one time. Took a while to persuad her to come out. Moving to the barn soon.

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”