PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

My coon is loosing her hair.

Coatimundis, Kinkajous, Raccoons, Ringtails, Cacomistles, Olingos

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

StormyTheCoon

My coon is loosing her hair.

Postby StormyTheCoon » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:52 pm

Her underbelly isn’t as thick as it was. She’s got a patch of hair pretty much on the center of her back that’s getting thin and her hair around her ankles has gotten really thin. Any ideas?
Trefoil

Re: My coon is loosing her hair.

Postby Trefoil » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:30 pm

No clue. Sorry. Mine are in full coat. Could she have fleas and scratching it off?
DeweysMom

Re: My coon is loosing her hair.

Postby DeweysMom » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:02 am

Sometimes they'll just loose fur like that, and there's absolutely no health issue or parasite infestation. If you're not familiar with "cracking", it's a term to describe small patchy-type hair loss in raccoons. At one point or another, they all seem to do it. Mine typically 'crack' on the underside of their bottom jaw or upper chest area, but I've heard from others who have said it can occur anywhere on their bodies.

Does she scratch or lick at the areas (or elsewhere??) I would go over her as thoroughly as you can, looking for fleas. If you find none, then kind of just keep an eye on the area to ensure it doesn't get scaly or bleed, etc.

Another thing you can do is add one gel tab of Vitamin E to her food daily. Mine seem to love the taste of them, pick them out and eat them first, like a treat. In my experience, vitamin E really gives them a beautiful lush, thick, soft haircoat. Coconut oil is another fine product that will essentially do the same thing. They can eat it, and you can also apply to their skin and fur.
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey

Return to “Procyonidae - RACCOON FAMILY”